Author Topic: Alex Jones / Info Wars  (Read 27858 times)

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
Re: Alex Jones / Info Wars
« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2017, 03:44:14 PM »
One day Jones is going to write a check his ass can't cash. He floats out there on the fringe and he's going to play something wrong and some weirdo is going to wreck him. Only a matter of time and the more attention he gets, the more likely the scenario becomes.

It happened to Art Bell after the Heaven's Gate suicides. He began receiving death threats against himself and his family, and retired from broadcasting to get out of the public sphere.

Offline Pdb

• Frequent Poster
  • Pessimism of the Intellect, Optimism of the Will
« Reply #121 on: August 16, 2017, 06:15:17 AM »
A quality song contest submission (it's the turning around bad publicity of a song mocking Alex Jones into a song competition that tells me he will be more successful than Art Bell):

Truth. - No one now dies of fatal truths: there are too many antidotes to them.

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2017, 04:01:09 PM »
I definitely don't like his supplement advertising. It's tiresome. There's no defending it. It is what it is.

He also sells nootropic medications, which is something I was briefly interested in before finding scepticism. Much like Joe Rogan, his wackier conspiracy and anti-science views are decreasing (at least from the small bit I'veseen), and they're becoming better interviewers, to the point where I now enjoy some of the content. Moreso Rogan.  It helps to have a short memory if you're trying to appreciate AJ.
Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Offline aleks335

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • I don't have any problem violating my own insights
« Reply #123 on: August 16, 2017, 04:51:31 PM »
This should maybe have been posted in the "new confessions" thread because this is the most shameful secret i think i have.
At one point i actually thought Alex Jones was great. This was 12 years or more ago, mostly it was the 9/11 was an inside job thing that brought me there (i no longer believe this at all). And some of the false flag stuff that he talked about back then, and the government is turning totalitarian resonated with something in me back then. For a while it made sense but then they started going very far, and i started reading other things. (Chomsky, M.Moore, and etc, and my dad gave me quite a bit of push-back on some stuff). What finaly took me completely out of it and made me conclude that i had been so fucking wrong to listen to these people was when they did a bit on the Bilderberg gorup and tried to make a big deal of the Norwegian politician Siv Jensen showing up.

I was like: Yeah Right!. She is the stupidest person on TV in Norway, only about 10% of people take here remotely seriously (more now unfortunately). If there is a conspiracy with Siv fucking Jensen then it will most surly completely fail immediately. Yes. she is a racist, yes she is a horrible person. But there is no way she is part of a plot to enslave Europe and the USA under the same world government. If such a plan existed there is no way it would include Siv Jensen.

So I concluded that AJ and the rest of his group and related idiots have nothing to offer in any way shape of form. And thanks to my dad who suggested i switch from computer to social science and go to an actual good university.
“I quite realized,” said Columbus
“That the earth was not a rhombus,
But I am a little annoyed
To find it an oblate spheroid.”

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #124 on: August 16, 2017, 04:57:43 PM »
Much like Joe Rogan, his wackier conspiracy and anti-science views are decreasing

He called the Charlottesville riot and the resulting murder of 3 people a "false flag operation." Fuck that guy.

Offline aleks335

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • I don't have any problem violating my own insights
« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2017, 05:06:26 PM »
Much like Joe Rogan, his wackier conspiracy and anti-science views are decreasing

He called the Charlottesville riot and the resulting murder of 3 people a "false flag operation." Fuck that guy.

Seriously? This is the same Joe Rogan that has a Netflix special?
“I quite realized,” said Columbus
“That the earth was not a rhombus,
But I am a little annoyed
To find it an oblate spheroid.”

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #126 on: August 16, 2017, 05:20:34 PM »

Seriously? This is the same Joe Rogan that has a Netflix special?

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm talking about Alex Jones, not Joe Rogan.

Rogan has been stepping back from the conspiracy nonsense, but AJ is still going full bore. Alex Jones said that the Nazis in Charlottesville were really Jewish "crisis actors."

http://www.newsweek.com/nazis-charlottesville-were-jewish-actors-dressed-discredit-white-supremacists-650718

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #127 on: August 18, 2017, 10:17:28 PM »
As a matter of being factual, more people are paralysed by the polio vaccine than by polio (because the polio vaccine contains a live strain of polio)
http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2017/06/28/534403083/mutant-strains-of-polio-vaccine-now-cause-more-paralysis-than-wild-polio

It should be up to the individual to decide if they are willing to take the chance. In areas with large polio outbreaks (or recent memories of outbreaks) I'm sure people will take the vaccine readily, when there is less chance of the disease and real (although low probability) side-effects, I would say it is the choice of the individual rather than the government.

Did you read the article? It states that the version given in the developed world is the dead version, not the attenuated live version. It tend to happen in war torn areas where the health care system has collapsed.  In addition, the WHO is trying to replace the live version with the dead version. I am also almost positive that I have seen Alex Jones speak against the WHO, which is trying to solve the problem.

Might want to watch what you post in the future because somebody might actually read the article.

The claim that Alex Jones made about paralysis being caused by a Polio virus is true, in fact the number of cases of paralysis exceed the cases of Polio paralysis.

Yeah, right now. You forgot to add the clause "now that everyone's vaccinated". It's more than a little important.

(Leaving aside what I assume is a typo that should refer to the polio vaccine.)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 10:21:09 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline Pdb

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2017, 05:38:26 AM »
Yeah, right now. You forgot to add the clause "now that everyone's vaccinated". It's more than a little important.

Yes, that was a typo and the reason why Alex Jones was correct is that everyone is vaccinated.

I'm pro-vaccination (I even take the flu vaccine, which seems to be one of the less effective vaccines) and I think Alex Jones says some of his craziest stuff around vaccination but if someone tries to debunk AJ by saying that he is factually wrong to say that more paralysis is caused by the vaccine than by contacting Polio directly when AJ is factually correct it is probably not the best approach.

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #129 on: August 19, 2017, 06:51:23 AM »

Yes, that was a typo and the reason why Alex Jones was correct is that everyone is vaccinated.

I'm pro-vaccination (I even take the flu vaccine, which seems to be one of the less effective vaccines) and I think Alex Jones says some of his craziest stuff around vaccination but if someone tries to debunk AJ by saying that he is factually wrong to say that more paralysis is caused by the vaccine than by contacting Polio directly when AJ is factually correct it is probably not the best approach.

The problem is that he did not state that in some rare circumstances with a live vaccine in the Middle East and Africa. In his video, he made it sound like the United States. He also made it seem to be out of control while the WHO seems to have it under control.

That is being dishonest to me but apparently not to you?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Pdb

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2017, 06:57:11 AM »
The problem is that he did not state that in some rare circumstances with a live vaccine in the Middle East and Africa. In his video, he made it sound like the United States. He also made it seem to be out of control while the WHO seems to have it under control.

That is being dishonest to me but apparently not to you?

I do think it is being dishonest. The ant-vax aspect of Alex Jones is one of the things that bothers me the most about him.

Most of his shtick is using an obscure headline or some story that is just under the radar of most people and connecting that to some nefarious globalist movement. I also find him very entertaining and think his contribution to the discussion around free speech and conservative ideals is important.

Anti-vax propganda and selling useless supplements are certainly not his most endearing traits but it is hardly the majority of what he does.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: August 19, 2017, 08:24:42 AM »
It doesnt matter if its the majority of what he does.
If he only sold supplements with dishonest marketing- He would be unworthy of respect and promotion.

If he only circulated conspiracy theories (which have real world impact on real victims and lead to unstable people commiting crimes) then he would be objectionable enough to earn distain and boycotts.

If he only pushed anti vax rhetoric then he would be dangerous and irresponsible enough to warrant serious societal blow back.

But I get it. You like applauding for loud noises and his face is very funny and anywhere you can find promotion of conservative ideas is worth keeping around no matter how covered in shit they are.
I expect no less from you, but people who claim they only watch because he is 'hilarious' are playing right the fuck into his business model and providing incremental support that adds up to him staying in business and doing more harm.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #132 on: August 19, 2017, 06:02:23 PM »
I do think it is being dishonest. The ant-vax aspect of Alex Jones is one of the things that bothers me the most about him.

So you admit he's dishonest. But it only bothers you when he's dishonest about vaccines?

Most of his shtick is using an obscure headline or some story that is just under the radar of most people and connecting that to some nefarious globalist movement.

So again you admit he's dishonest, that he picks obscure stories from questionable sources and then spins them into an outrageous false narrative. 

I also find him very entertaining and think his contribution to the discussion around free speech and conservative ideals is important.

You like him because there's no law against misleading the public for political purposes, and you find blatant lying "entertaining" and "important to conservative ideals." This goes a long way toward explaining why "conservative ideals" are so shockingly misinformed about so many things.

Anti-vax propganda and selling useless supplements are certainly not his most endearing traits but it is hardly the majority of what he does.

Misleading people for profit is the totality of what he does. Anti-vax scaremongering is a relatively small proportion of the sum total of his lies.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 06:42:39 AM by John Albert »

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 06:23:13 PM by John Albert »

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
« Reply #134 on: August 19, 2017, 06:16:06 PM »

Misleading people for profit is the totality of what he does. Anti-vax scaremongering is a relatively small proportion of the sum total of his lies.

Hardly the majority?

I've watched his show, every 15 minutes he hawks bullshit.  In between, about 90% of the time he's either a) Lying or b) Wildly speculating.....
#non-belief denialist

personate-rain