Author Topic: Fossil Question  (Read 188 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Fossil Question
« on: March 07, 2017, 07:42:56 AM »
I was on a beach on the York river in Virginia where there is a high sand cliff. It does not appear to be far along in the process to become sandstone.

I did notice though that there were on the beach some rocks which were aggregates where there were shells embedded in what looked like some sort of sandstone concretion.

In addition, I found a fossil which is basically the inside casting of a shell of some sort. Due to texture, it is not a Chesapecten. You can see the remainder of the originally shell as white material on the casting. I will post some pictures a little later.

What I am curious if these probably formed in the sand material that the cliffs were made from or if there are layers of actual sandstone maybe a little deeper in the river?

"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Fossil Question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 05:51:07 PM »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll