Author Topic: Low Sodium Salt.  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: Low Sodium Salt.
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 09:55:03 AM »
There actually is a 'low sodium' NaCl Salt.  I saw it a few years back, they mixed real salt with something inert.  So by volume, it contained less Sodium.

Also, to clarify what estockly said earlier, SOME people with high blood pressure benefit from low sodium diets.  Not all.

Right. But she doesn't want that. No mixing, she wants "pure salt" that is just low in sodium. Believe me, all these different things were suggested and rejected.

That's what ultimately led to the "pool supply store" comment from me. She wants NaCl with NOTHING ELSE in it but with less or no Na. Which is Chlorine...

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 10:15:59 AM »
Definitely Chlorine.  You can get the same thing by mixing Bleach and Vinegar.........
#non-belief denialist

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 03:35:35 PM »
having too much K+ is no good either but as long as someone is sticking to a dr.  recommended regimen, i guess it can make sense.

Also, since KCl doesn't taste very good, one tends to use less of it than NaCl.

Amend and resubmit.

Online CarbShark

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 05:33:11 PM »
There actually is a 'low sodium' NaCl Salt.  I saw it a few years back, they mixed real salt with something inert.  So by volume, it contained less Sodium.

Also, to clarify what estockly said earlier, SOME people with high blood pressure benefit from low sodium diets.  Not all.

Right. But she doesn't want that. No mixing, she wants "pure salt" that is just low in sodium. Believe me, all these different things were suggested and rejected.

That's what ultimately led to the "pool supply store" comment from me. She wants NaCl with NOTHING ELSE in it but with less or no Na. Which is Chlorine...

OK, so now I'm skeptical of this entire thread. Your friend doesn't know enough about chemistry to know about NaCl but knows enough to insist on getting pure NaCl with no additives?

Also, I'll say again your "pool supply store" comment wasn't very friendly.

If your friend simply wants a lower sodium sodium salt, the only way to do that is use an inert filler to make the percentage of NaCl lower.

and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2017, 09:13:11 PM »

OK, so now I'm skeptical of this entire thread. Your friend doesn't know enough about chemistry to know about NaCl but knows enough to insist on getting pure NaCl with no additives?

If your friend simply wants a lower sodium sodium salt, the only way to do that is use an inert filler to make the percentage of NaCl lower.

Did I say she said "NaCl?" No, that's what I said she wanted. I know this because when offered suggestions "No, that's not real salt." And yes, she was offered salt with inert additives. Alternatives such as KCl etc and turned them down because they weren't "real salt."

Online CarbShark

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2017, 09:30:24 PM »

Did I say she said "NaCl?" No, that's what I said she wanted. I know this because when offered suggestions "No, that's not real salt." And yes, she was offered salt with inert additives. Alternatives such as KCl etc and turned them down because they weren't "real salt."

So you're making fun of your friend because she's making a culinary request that's not consistent with chemistry. She's probably thinking that between rock, kosher, sea, himalayan and table there might be one that has less sodium.

Has she unfriended you yet? If not, you could try giving her a helpful answer.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2017, 02:52:31 PM »

So you're making fun of your friend because she's making a culinary request that's not consistent with chemistry. She's probably thinking that between rock, kosher, sea, himalayan and table there might be one that has less sodium.

Has she unfriended you yet? If not, you could try giving her a helpful answer.

There is literally no other helpful answer. This entire thing was explained to her BEFORE my "pool store" comment. It was the sheer face palming craziness of her constant refusals of every suggestion and insistence on "real low sodium salt without any additives or anything other that pure salt" that prompted the pool store comment. Because "pure sale with no additives" that has either less or no sodium is Chlorine.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2017, 03:00:04 PM »
I have to agree with you Dan.  Your friend is an idiot.
#non-belief denialist

Online CarbShark

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2017, 03:02:08 PM »

Does that mean she's free game for embarrassing, riddling and humiliating her?

Has she unfriended you yet, or is she just ignoring you?

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2017, 03:05:17 PM »

She's both unfriended me and ignored me, and I don't even know her.

And yes, once you explain that you cannot get low sodium NaCL and that it's always going to have the same amount of Sodium and she still refuses to believe we landed on the moon, then it's time for ridicule.
#non-belief denialist

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2017, 03:36:32 PM »

Nope, she's actively commented on stuff I've posted since as well so she also hasn't unfollowed me either.

Online CarbShark

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2017, 04:30:35 PM »
then it's time for ridicule.

And that's why skeptics are so loved and respected by non-skeptics

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2017, 03:07:40 AM »

I agree. It's time for disengagement, not for ridicule.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2017, 09:31:17 AM »

Don't really care what non-skeptics think of me.  If your belief is foolish, then you deserve ridicule after you're presented with facts and evidence and in the face of that you still refuse to change your mind.

Do you deserve respect?  Yes, you do, but your ideas do not.

#non-belief denialist

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2017, 08:33:46 PM »
No-one deserves to be ridiculed. That's just bullying. If you feel that someone's arguments are that bad, and reasoned argument hasn't worked, then it is simply time to stop talking to that person. Don't bully people because you don't agree with them.

personate-rain