Author Topic: Article: Losing Faith can lead to extremes.  (Read 432 times)

Offline Smooth

• Not Enough Spare Time
Article: Losing Faith can lead to extremes.
« on: March 15, 2017, 04:50:56 PM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/04/breaking-faith/517785/

"For decades, liberals have called the Christian right intolerant. When conservatives disengage from organized religion, however, they don’t become more tolerant. They become intolerant in different ways. Research shows that evangelicals who don’t regularly attend church are less hostile to gay people than those who do. But they’re more hostile to African Americans, Latinos, and Muslims."

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Article: Losing Faith can lead to extremes.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 05:32:20 PM »
I wonder if its because most evangelical churches aren't racist enough for some folks so its more selection bias than a change in the minds of those that leave the church.  Evangelicals mostly being interested in evangelizing everyone regardless of race.  If your a racist you probably aren't cool with your church looking to convert black, latinos, etc. so you leave. 

Online Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 05:32:31 PM »
Former Christians who become more hostile to all religion and wary of ethnic minorities that are themselves very religious?  Sounds like progress to me.
To err is human.  To syntax error is System.NullReferenceException

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 05:59:51 AM »
This reminds me of the SGU talking about a study/article on how churchgoers are happier/healthier than non-churchgoers. But the headlined difference was actually between the most rigorous and the less rigorous, and the curve went up at either side of the less rigorous. Suggesting that those who find themselves most at odds with those around them are worse off.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 06:03:41 AM by 2397 »

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 07:33:48 AM »
I know quite a few people I would call "damaged Christians," who have left their church often not of their own accord. The number one reason is a family breakup. Typically, one side gets to keep the church and the other is tossed out. There is still a lot of fault-finding in divorce and other family issues in these churches.

The second big cause I have seen, especially with the mega-church folks, is the crash of the minister (sex or financial scandals, for instance) or a personal falling out with the minister. You can see years of financial and personal investment go up in smoke.

In both cases, there is a forced confrontation of the person's core beliefs different from a seeker who drifts away because of a better understanding of science and history.

In the above two cases, I have often seen the "bubbling under the surface" biases re-enacted: racism, sexism, etc. These people are pissed, as opposed to the seeker who left for intellectual reasons.

My sister-in-law is a case in point. Her husband was a bit too weird for their Fundamentalist church, and they were shown the door. They still consider themselves Christians, but see the church as one more corrupt institution, and want them all to come down. Thus, Trump.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

personate-rain
personate-rain