Author Topic: Episode #609  (Read 4340 times)

Offline widdowquinn

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • http://widdowquinn.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Re: Episode #609
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 11:47:40 AM »
I have a point of pedantry about Science or Fiction that might change the result.

(click to show/hide)
img]http://widdowquinn.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sigimage/sigimage.jpg[/img]

"Uranus is out of order" - Neal Adams, ep #51

Offline Ron Obvious

• Off to a Start
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 11:55:08 AM »
Love all the Kraftwerk songs we're getting for WTN lately.

Offline Ron Obvious

• Off to a Start
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2017, 12:09:13 PM »
Oh, and BTW: Tea should always be made with water that has been boiled, and NEVER drunk from a paper or styrofoam cup. NEVER! That's alright for coffee or cocoa, but never for tea.

Offline RMoore

• Off to a Start
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 06:04:37 PM »
Coffee extraction time is a function of the grind. Lately, I use a French press, which works best with a coarse grind, and extraction time needs to be about 4 minutes, not 3.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 06:09:03 PM »
I am going to side with those who aren't coffee snobs, because what's best is what you like, and I like starbucks just fine. Even MacDonald's or my mom's coffee from a can. I am also just as content to drink Miller as I am an IPA from the microbrew down the street. Even tea in a styrofoam cup is fine as it all tastes like dog piss anyway.  ;) :D :P

I'm just fooling around, I'm glad people are creating niches for stuff like this. I like seeing mom and pop shops pop up around the neighborhood catering to new cultural infatuations. After the 90s I was afraid everything was going to become big box stores. At least in the big city we have generally avoided that fate.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline RMoore

• Off to a Start
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2017, 06:43:07 PM »
I don't think "no true Scotsman" is a separate fallacy from moving the goalposts at all. It's a subcategory: All "No true Scotsman" fallacies are cases of moving the goalposts, but not all instances of moving the goalposts are cases of "no true Scotsman".

In moving the goalposts, the speaker states something that can be falsified by X, and when X is shown to exist, he denies that X is a counterexample by saying that it has to be some special instance of X, or requires X in conjunction with Y, in order to qualify as a falsification.

In "no true Scotsman", the speaker sets up an initial standard, "No Scotsman would do that." Implicitly, such a statement can be falsified with an example of a Scotsman who did or does such a thing. But, when presented with exactly such a counterexample, the speaker denies the counterexample with "No *true* Scotsman would do that". It is moving the goalposts because the original standard for falsification has been modified. (In particular, it has been modified in a vacuous way, since "true" doesn't carry any discernible meaning other than to distinguish Scotsmen who would never do such a thing from Scotsmen who would.)

An example of moving the goalposts that is not "no true Scotsman" would be a Creationist saying, "You can falsify Creationism by showing me an example of an organism that evolves over time." Then, after being shown this video https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjz0qCaxdTSAhULilQKHZd-Du8QyCkIHDAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DplVk4NVIUh8&usg=AFQjCNEfeMi-uYyz_H60Jq84bqhbmam2zw&sig2=Vy0VAHrkGsJcjtrdApagMA&bvm=bv.149397726,d.cGc, demands to be shown an example of a multicellular organism that evolves over time.

Offline Crash

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Dogspeed John Glenn.
    • What I do for fun
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2017, 10:16:07 PM »
 I am not surprised that it takes Jay fifteen minutes to make coffee.  Part of the pleasure of coffee is the routine that goes with it.   The appeal of the K-cups is the lack of mess for an office or DIY coffee station.  No one gets too upset tossing the prior user's K-cup.  That K-cup stuff is too stale and thin for me.  If you compare the weight of the coffee with bulk you end up paying $30 a pound for K-cup coffee.  Unroasted green coffee in bulk is near $4 a pound.
  Coffee is a messy habit.  Grounds get all over the counter and sink.  If you roast your own beans then you have chaff all over too.   I like to roast my coffee just up to second crack when the beans are dark but not yet oily.
   I brew drip in a single cup using a paper filter and a small kettle with a gooseneck spout.  I have an espresso machine that I use more often than the drip.
  I don't consider myself a coffee snob although I frequented the original Peet's on Hearst in Berkeley back in the late 60's and early 70's  I just like the good stuff. 

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 02:28:56 AM »
Oh, and BTW: Tea should always be made with water that has been boiled, and NEVER drunk from a paper or styrofoam cup. NEVER! That's alright for coffee or cocoa, but never for tea.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

;D

I may have just promoted you.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 03:19:35 AM »
Two good podcasts on tea :  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08gwk5j
"Our minds are not quite designed to understand how the world works, but, rather, to get out of trouble rapidly an have progeny."  Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Offline mabell_yah

• Off to a Start
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2017, 04:22:09 AM »
I think all this talk about terraforming is a bit naive. It will be centuries before we could possibly turn any other planet into an ecosystem that even approximates Earth's. The current trend is for populations to live in cities. Let's just do that in space. Sure, there are a ton of problems to solve, but it's easier to do that for a system the size of a city, rather than an entire planet that wants to do something else. Mars has nothing to offer that we couldn't easily replicate in a space city.  Terraform all you want and the gravity is only .38G, where a space city can be spun up to 1G.

Offline 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2017, 04:58:52 AM »
It's all about the very long term. Nothing that's outside of Earth is going to be able to sustain itself without support from Earth any time soon. If we don't slow down the pace of climate change for the next couple of centuries, we might be screwed anyway. Unless we've gone a long way towards living as if we're on Mars/in outer space, growing all our food in highly controlled isolated environments, etc.

If our civilization is destroyed, and all the easy to access fossil fuel deposits have been used up, it's unlikely we'll be able to re-industrialize.

Offline lucek

• Off to a Start
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2017, 06:47:12 AM »
Im wondering what jay's opinion on coldbrew. I've tried it at cafes and made it at home. It is soo different.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2017, 08:24:11 AM »
How much of this coffee/tea snobbery is investment bias and the likes? It sounds a lot like the things you hear from wine snobs. If you're taking 15 minutes to make a cup of coffee, it better taste damn good.
Mooohn!

Offline lucek

• Off to a Start
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2017, 12:22:11 PM »
How much of this coffee/tea snobbery is investment bias and the likes? It sounds a lot like the things you hear from wine snobs. If you're taking 15 minutes to make a cup of coffee, it better taste damn good.
Some. Kcups get a bad rap incidentally. Good brands and watch the dates on the pacage and recycle the cup and they are pretty ok.  Yes recycle the cups tare off the foil compost or otherwise dispose of the grounds(also grinds??? Not grounds jay) and recycle the cups.

That said tempeture pressure and durration change the taste of the resulting coffee. You can take it to an exstreem but there is a difference between a coffee press and a mr. Coffee perkalator.

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2017, 02:09:16 PM »
As an ex-Republican, I think it is very naïve to see the Science March as anything BUT political, because my former party has gone pretty full-bore anti-science as a matter of (literally) faith.

The Department of Education is run by a overt Creationist. The head of the EPA does not believe in the physics of CO2. The head of the Department of Energy is a climate change denier, as are most other members of the administration.

Worse, Rex Tillerson, Secretary of State, has apparently been privately acknowledging climate change on a secret email address while publicly denying it as the head of one of the worst industrial culprits. This rises to the area of criminality, and hopefully Exxon will be held to account.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/14/news/rex-tillerson-exxon-climate-change-email/

The rogues are perhaps trying not to offend, but reality is reality. These suckers actively oppose every key part of science that you find important. It IS political, and it must be until science-understanding economic conservatives grow some balls and put an end to this madness.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

personate-rain