Author Topic: Episode #609  (Read 4362 times)

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Episode #609
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2017, 07:52:13 PM »
Do Euro homes have the same 15-20 amp circuits as USA homes?  There's no reason USA homes couldn't have bigger capacity 120v circuits - they'd just need bigger wires... but it's probably a code thing not to.

No. European homes typically have 10 Amp circuits. Depending on who you talk to, this choice was either to improve efficiencies (P = I^2 R, meaning you can use smaller wires, which are cheaper), or to make the circuits safer (it's the current kills, and lower-amperage circuits combined with smaller wires make for safer household electrical, despite the higher voltage).

Thanks.  I was thinking about this thread this morning while I was ironing my clothes for work.  When the iron heater kicks on the lights in the room dim, come back part way, and then back to normal when the heater cycles off.  I wondered if 220v houses have that same effect.

Doesn't happen in our home... wired in 1945.  Cotton covered leads housed in rectangular wooden tubes screwed to the ceiling.  240 works a treat, just don't de careless.
"Our minds are not quite designed to understand how the world works, but, rather, to get out of trouble rapidly an have progeny."  Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2017, 12:00:49 AM »
(I cannot tell Evan, Jay, and Bob apart)
I find this mystifying. For one's first few episodes, sure, but their voices are very different, and not hard to differentiate. For me, at least. I understand that some have difficulty with it, but don't understand how.

Offline alfaniner

• Off to a Start
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2017, 01:10:22 AM »
Now THAT is a (cold brew) coffee maker!

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2017, 08:45:09 AM »
I find this mystifying. For one's first few episodes, sure, but their voices are very different, and not hard to differentiate. For me, at least. I understand that some have difficulty with it, but don't understand how.

I had a bit of difficulty telling Jay and Bob apart initially, but now I have no idea why, since they sound completely different to me.
Mooohn!

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2017, 09:08:04 AM »

It could be a defect in my brain. I sometimes have difficulty distinguishing spoken words. My hearing is fine, for my age. But my auditory processing is not always up to snuff. Steve's voice is distinct, as is Cara's of course. It might also be that I've just never managed to associate the voices with the names. One of the voices is slightly different, but I can never remember who it belongs to. Maybe it's related to my Asperger's.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2017, 10:23:09 AM »
I can't not tell the SGU crew apart, but I did pick up a couple of podcasts over the last year where it took me many episodes to connect the voices and names. Which might be more of a name-problem than a voice-problem.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 10:25:32 AM by 2397 »

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2017, 10:27:22 AM »

It could be a defect in my brain. I sometimes have difficulty distinguishing spoken words. My hearing is fine, for my age. But my auditory processing is not always up to snuff. Steve's voice is distinct, as is Cara's of course. It might also be that I've just never managed to associate the voices with the names. One of the voices is slightly different, but I can never remember who it belongs to. Maybe it's related to my Asperger's.
Daniel's not alone, I also can only identify Steve and Cara by voice. 

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2017, 10:56:04 AM »
I can't not tell the SGU crew apart, but I did pick up a couple of podcasts over the last year where it took me many episodes to connect the voices and names. Which might be more of a name-problem than a voice-problem.

That's Star Wars Minute for me.  We're hundreds of episodes in, and I've even watched a couple live shows on YouTube, and I still can't pick which is Pete and which is Alex out of context.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2017, 06:45:48 PM »

That could be it. I'm sorry - I don't know enough about Asperger's to understand details of the ways in which it affects cognition.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2017, 09:31:46 AM »

That could be it. I'm sorry - I don't know enough about Asperger's to understand details of the ways in which it affects cognition.

Nor do I, other than the fact that it affects my ability to relate to people in a socially normative way. Before I'd ever heard of Asperger's I used to say that I was socially retarded: I didn't know how to relate to people. It's just wild speculation that this could also affect my ability to recognize voices. Or it could just be that I don't pay enough attention when the rogues address each other by name. Maybe I just need a few hours of watching a video of them with nameplates so I see the name of whoever's talking. But I lack the patience to watch talking heads. All my adult life I avoided television in favor of radio, and now podcasting is the new radio. I listen to podcasts, including the SGU, when I'm doing other things that occupy my eyes and hands but not my mind. I can't sit still and watch videos whose content is really just audio.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2017, 04:06:21 AM »

Nor do I, other than the fact that it affects my ability to relate to people in a socially normative way. Before I'd ever heard of Asperger's I used to say that I was socially retarded: I didn't know how to relate to people. It's just wild speculation that this could also affect my ability to recognize voices. Or it could just be that I don't pay enough attention when the rogues address each other by name. Maybe I just need a few hours of watching a video of them with nameplates so I see the name of whoever's talking. But I lack the patience to watch talking heads. All my adult life I avoided television in favor of radio, and now podcasting is the new radio. I listen to podcasts, including the SGU, when I'm doing other things that occupy my eyes and hands but not my mind. I can't sit still and watch videos whose content is really just audio.

Yeah, I'm totally with you on that last bit - talking head videos bore me to tears. I can't just sit and listen to audio either. I listen to podcasts when I'm driving, for example, which is a time when the language-processing bit of my brain is otherwise idle, so I can concentrate on it while I drive.

Offline 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2017, 12:29:19 PM »
I can relate to that as well. I've been wondering if it's some kind of multitasking-derived syndrome. I struggle to do only one thing at a time, and am usually listening to something while working, if I don't have to interact with other human beings. Or I'll be looking for something to do while listening.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2017, 12:48:27 PM »
Sometimes I'll listen to podcasts or an audio book on a long drive, but generally I find them distracting while driving in town. I listen to music while driving, and podcasts while preparing and eating food.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline RMoore

• Off to a Start
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2017, 02:04:37 AM »

However, given no other information, I'd assume that someone designing a kettle for US use would give it a lower load resistance so that it gets just as hot as one designed for European use, which invalidates assumption #1.

Did you just say that lower resistance with lower voltage will give the same heat/power?

Yes, because P = E^2/R.

Offline RMoore

• Off to a Start
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2017, 02:11:45 AM »
As far as Cara's desire to preserve Mars in its "virginal" state...

Kim Stanley Robinson wrote a trilogy: "Red Mars", "Green Mars" and "Blue Mars".

I'm admittedly bogged down about halfway through the second one, but much of the book centers on the conflicts between those wanting to terraform Mars as quickly as possible and those wishing to maintain it in much its original state.

I finished the second but put the third on hold due to time constraints (they are very well written but very long books).

personate-rain
personate-rain