Author Topic: Electronics and Batteries  (Read 919 times)

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
Electronics and Batteries
« on: March 13, 2017, 03:08:52 PM »

I have an action cam that uses batteries like this - the battery slides into the camera and the little terminal squares contact some springs inside the camera.

I have six of these batteries.  Frequently I can't get the camera to turn on and I think it's because of poor contact at these terminals - sometimes it helps when I lick the battery first and some batteries work better than others. 

I've seen some kinds of paste and gel that are supposed to be for conductivity but I'm not sure what to look for.

I've tried cleaning off the camera and the battery contacts.

Anybody got some ideas?
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Pusher Robot

• Frequent Poster
  • Do you have stairs in your house?
Re: Electronics and Batteries
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 01:55:28 PM »
This can happen if you have a layer of oxidation.  Try to abrade the contacts with fine sandpaper.  Don't use steel wool unless you are very confident the battery is completely discharged.*

* Lesson learned the hard way
A novice was trying to fix a broken Lisp machine by turning the power off and on.
Knight, seeing what the student was doing, spoke sternly: “You cannot fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no understanding of what is going wrong.”
Knight turned the machine off and on.
The machine worked.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 03:27:18 PM »
 The problem is, the oxidation is likely on the contacts inside the camera. It may be impossible to reach them.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 03:39:36 PM »
The problem is, the oxidation is likely on the contacts inside the camera. It may be impossible to reach them.

The thing is though, it works with some of my batteries but not others... that makes me think it's not the camera contacts.

And those little contacts on the batteries are so thin, I think sand papering them would leave nothing behind.  Maybe I'll try it on one of the older ones.

Nobody's ever used the conductive gel stuff?
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 05:09:35 PM »

Aircraft owners often use this stuff:

Stabilant 22, 5ml Kit Makes 30ml of 22A - 22 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E50GQS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Z0AYyb4GZ76RS

"And what it all boils down to is that no one's really got it figured out just yet" - Alanis Morisette
• • •
"I doubt that!" - James Randi

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 05:12:42 PM »

Aircraft owners often use this stuff:

Stabilant 22, 5ml Kit Makes 30ml of 22A - 22 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E50GQS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Z0AYyb4GZ76RS

Thanks!  $65!  Fortunately it comes in packages for smaller applications.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 07:33:01 PM »
Dielectric grease is probably what you're referring to. I use it all the time.
I'm an electronic tech so I'd have no problem opening that thing up and checking the contacts.
But if you're new to it, probably not a good idea.
Likely those contacts corroded or bent slightly.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 12:14:50 PM »
Are the batteries the exact same size? Also, did you check the voltage on the batteries to ensure they are in good condition? You should see 3.7-4.0+V.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 12:22:18 PM »
Are the batteries the exact same size? Also, did you check the voltage on the batteries to ensure they are in good condition? You should see 3.7-4.0+V.

Some are a little tighter than others.  Some are a little older than others.  I don't have a proper voltmeter but I do have a battery checker and it looks like the voltage is good.  The meter has a selector switch for 3.0v and they show very strong.  (the batteries that work and the ones that don't show the same reading).

I ordered a couple new batteries and some of this stuff:

Amend and resubmit.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 07:43:59 PM »
When I was doing ham radio, I often used plain paper to clean contacts. It worked very well.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 11:47:36 AM »
I ordered a couple new batteries and some of this stuff:

OK, well that stuff brought 4 of my 7 batteries back to working order.  And the new batteries even brought my old camera back to working order - I bought  a new camera because it seemed the old one had some kind of firmware problem but now it seems it was all a battery problem.  Some combination of reduced voltage after many recharging cycles, and reduced contact efficiency made the camera not even power up.

I still need to get a multimeter - just seems like something a guy like me has in his tool box.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 12:25:43 PM »
I still need to get a multimeter - just seems like something a guy like me has in his tool box.

Definitely.

They're pretty cheap. In fact, Harbor Freight periodically gives them away with a coupon - even without they're only $5.99.

http://t.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-69096.html
"And what it all boils down to is that no one's really got it figured out just yet" - Alanis Morisette
• • •
"I doubt that!" - James Randi

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 07:30:46 PM »
Mine cost almost $1000. But again, I do this for a living.
It's pretty sophisticated.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline UnicornPoop

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 10:20:48 PM »
I used to clean my cassette tape heads with a qtip dipped in alcohol. It seemed to breathe new life into them.

Then again, I also licked my phone connector when plugging into the modem and that worked well also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Droppings of pure, glittering, rainbow joy!

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 09:38:55 AM »
Mine cost almost $1000. But again, I do this for a living.
It's pretty sophisticated.

Oscilloscope?  Is it a Fluke?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

personate-rain