Author Topic: "Flops" that are actually pretty good  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
"Flops" that are actually pretty good
« on: March 14, 2017, 03:33:35 PM »
Think of movies that just plain bombed at the box office and/or have the reputation for being box-office bombs. I don't think I need to further define this? Here's a quick list of movies that I don't just like but which I think were kind of awesome...

Sahara - Yes, it's big and dumb but truth be told this movie actually didn't do too terribly at the box office. It garnered $68M in 2005 ($110M worldwide), which is not terrific - that's 35th for the year - but still about there with movies like Sin City, The Aviator, Cinderella Man, and Fun with Dick and Jane. The reason it's remembered a bomb is that it cost a TON of money to make, if memory serves in the form of bribes to various African nations in order to film. It's still a spectacle and it's still fun to watch though. Sadly, the fact that it's widely recognized as perhaps the biggest flop in cinema history means that we're probably not going to see anymore Clive Cussler novels make it to the silver screen any time soon.

The Postman - Come on, what is there not to like about this? You've got Kevin Costner doing his Kevin Costner thing in a dystopian alternative universe. You've got that Mad Max-ish post-apocalyptic feel, only maybe just a little bit brighter. You've got Tom Petty playing... Tom Petty? (like I'm pretty sure he actually plays the rock musician Tom Petty, who, after the apocalypse started his own colony). IT HAS LITERALLY EVERYTHING.

Crank / Crank 2 - Don't even need to comment on these movies, which are basically the greatest movie ever filmed.

Heaven's Gate - It could have been a little bit faster paced but it's not a bad movie, just a really expensive one and ultimately not the blockbuster that UA needed in order to survive.

Jupiter Ascending - Okay, this was not a "good" movie by any stretch but it did a lot of very fun things and I feel like if you could just divorce yourself from the fact that the Wachowskis made it and concentrate on the spectacle itself, I think you'll find that it's... well, it's still more "bonkers" than "good", but it really is a lot of fun, too.

Hugo - I guess the knock on it is that it's too slow for kids? But come on, this movie is *beautiful*, sad, and funny, and even talks about a now completely forgotten figure in early cinema (yes, that weirdo toy store owner, Georges Melies? The story obviously is fictional but that was absolutely a real person, and the movie sums up his life up to World War I pretty damn well, actually).

Ghostbusters (2016 remake) - Well, I had a lot of fun at this movie. If you have been refusing to see it because you liked the original too much, let me say this about it: if anything its problem was that it was *too* reverential of the original. Yes, it's a franchise reboot, these things happen. I feel like the writers did to the original script basically the same thing that the writers did to A New Hope with Force Awakens, that is, they took it, ironed out the bad parts, and made sense of it. All of the original castmembers make an appearance of some sort, even the deceased ones (there's a bust of Harold Ramis in there) and it still has very much the same kind of "we're kooks but we just happened to be right about this" feel that the original had. *I* felt that it was also very funny - both Kate McKinnon and Melissa McCarthy were fantastic, and I'm glad to see that both of them are now getting their just dues (McCarthy has been recognized as funny as crap for years now but McKinnon I think just over the election got people to realize how great she is too). Kristen Wiig is good as she kind of always is and I thought Leslie Jones was pretty hilarious, too (and she was the recipient of *so much* undeserved crap). The biggest thing I wanted to see was another 90 minutes to 2 hours of these actors inhabiting these roles and interacting with each other, but sadly I don't think that's going to happen. I guess the silver lining is that this means that nobody will feel like they have to touch the abomination that is Ghostbusters II.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: "Flops" that are actually pretty good
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 03:38:39 PM »
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=scottpilgrim.htm

one of my favorite movies ever; didn't make back it's budget.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 03:40:02 PM »
U

H

F
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 03:45:22 PM »
JOHN CARTER

John Carpenter's THE THING and BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA (Cult favorites yes but box-office duds)

SERENITY

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 03:46:57 PM »
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=scottpilgrim.htm

one of my favorite movies ever; didn't make back it's budget.
I didn't realize that it did so poorly! Yeah, I loved that movie as well, so much so that I wound up going out and buying the comics that they made the movie out of. They are, by the way, kind of great.

Quote from: amysrevenge
U H F
OH GOD YES

WHO WANTS TO DRINK FROM THE FIRE HOSE??
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 03:47:49 PM »
Was UHF a bomb, I mean it cost what $5.60 to make, it had to make money.

Not just Postman but Waterworld wasn't that bad either.

Buckaroo Banzai, crazy stupid fun with John Lithgow as an alien invader. 

John Carter, also big crazy fun but I get why it failed.  It was a bit hard to follow and a lot of the source material's ideas have become cliched in the last 100 years.

Looking up a few lists of flops that were actually good.  There's a lot of movies like Its a Wonderful Life, that have gone on to acclaim but failed at their original release. 

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 03:50:27 PM »
Yeah, actually, It's A Wonderful Life is a fantastic example that I completely forgot and maaaan it is easy, easy, easy to see why it flopped when it first came out. It is soooooooo cheesy. Even by 1940s standards it is corny as balls. This is from the NY Times review of it (whose reviewer, a man whose name actually seems to have been "Bosley Crowder", actually enjoyed it):

Indeed, the weakness of this picture, from this reviewer's point of view, is the sentimentality of it—its illusory concept of life. Mr. Capra's nice people are charming, his small town is a quite beguiling place and his pattern for solving problems is most optimistic and facile. But somehow they all resemble theatrical attitudes rather than average realities. And Mr. Capra's "turkey dinners" philosophy, while emotionally gratifying, doesn't fill the hungry paunch.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline CarbShark

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 03:51:14 PM »
Do you like Jeff Bridges?

"Rancho Delux" - 1975
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rancho_Deluxe
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 04:18:39 PM »
John Dies At The End. It was an absolute flop at the box office based on the David Wong novel of the same name. I think it was poorly promoted and despite being low budget I think it was also a bit too fringe for a lot of people, but for a popcorn flick I really liked it.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 04:35:36 PM »
I LOVE Sahara.

Dredd comes to mind.

The Losers

Macgruber

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 04:36:03 PM »
I'd heard that Edge of Tomorrow was considered a failure, which is a damn shame if true

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow was far from perfect, but it was incredibly ambitious and had a lot going for it
I am in favor of killing all whales on principle. Where is my avalanche of 'provocateur' money?

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 04:41:01 PM »
JOHN CARTER

John Carpenter's THE THING and BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA (Cult favorites yes but box-office duds)

SERENITY
Dude you're cheating
Big Trouble in Little China?
That made $110 billion in the opening weekend, was harolded as the greatest movie ever, and anyone who says otherwise is fake news.
My mind is made up on that. I will die on this hill.
I am in favor of killing all whales on principle. Where is my avalanche of 'provocateur' money?

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 04:50:07 PM »
I LOVE Sahara.

Dredd comes to mind.

The Losers

Macgruber
Did the newer Dredd movie flop? One of the things that I enjoyed about it was that they kind of went out of their way to keep the setting relatively small, which I would think would lower the overall cost (not to mention the lack of "name" actors)...

and huh, it more or less broke even (made ~$41M at the box office, cost ~$45M to make). DVD/online sales seem to have pushed it into the, erm, black but not by much...

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 05:29:36 PM »
I LOVE Sahara.

Dredd comes to mind.

The Losers

Macgruber
Did the newer Dredd movie flop? One of the things that I enjoyed about it was that they kind of went out of their way to keep the setting relatively small, which I would think would lower the overall cost (not to mention the lack of "name" actors)...

and huh, it more or less broke even (made ~$41M at the box office, cost ~$45M to make). DVD/online sales seem to have pushed it into the, erm, black but not by much...
Dredd was great, and I'm usually a cynic about movies like this. Considering any films marketing will be double it's budget, making less than its budget theatrically makes it a flop.

What about Big Lebowski? Looking it up it did better in the box office than I thought it did, though the budget is far lower than I would have guessed as well. It definitely gained in popularity after the fact though.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 05:32:50 PM »
water world was decent, but had a gargantuan budget for the time. 175 mil in 1995
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

personate-rain