Author Topic: "Flops" that are actually pretty good  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: "Flops" that are actually pretty good
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2017, 07:06:12 PM »
I actually enjoyed James Franco in Oz.

Offline effection

• Brand New
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2017, 03:34:36 PM »
The Fifth Element is often considered a flop (and it was, with the tiny about of research I did). It's my favourite movie, though.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2017, 08:27:07 AM »
The Odd Life of Timothy Green

Not sure if it was a flop, (it made about 60 million so depending on the budget this could have been a success).  I heard about from The Nostalgia Critic, who typically reviews and make fun of bad movies.  He thought it was absolute garbage.  Then I saw that it was reviewed on how did this get made podcast.  So, I watched it based on the premise that it was a "so bad it's good" movie. 

But, I actually sincerely liked it.  It's not Oscar worthy by any stretch, but it had a cute premise and a number of entertaining scenes, and I actually really liked the message of the film, which sort of turned the typical fairy tale on it's head.  After watching I listened to the how did this get made episode and found they were not nearly as hateful about the movie as the nostalgia critic was.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2017, 09:33:45 AM »
Like I always say, expectations can make or break a movie.  I actually liked battlefield earth but that was years of hearing how bad it was.  Like is too strong a word, it was alright.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2017, 04:59:42 PM »
The Odd Life of Timothy Green

Not sure if it was a flop, (it made about 60 million so depending on the budget this could have been a success).  I heard about from The Nostalgia Critic, who typically reviews and make fun of bad movies.  He thought it was absolute garbage.  Then I saw that it was reviewed on how did this get made podcast.  So, I watched it based on the premise that it was a "so bad it's good" movie. 

But, I actually sincerely liked it.  It's not Oscar worthy by any stretch, but it had a cute premise and a number of entertaining scenes, and I actually really liked the message of the film, which sort of turned the typical fairy tale on it's head.  After watching I listened to the how did this get made episode and found they were not nearly as hateful about the movie as the nostalgia critic was.
Yeah, HDTGM is good like that: every now and then they'll find a movie that they don't think is *bad*, just, in their words, "bonkers". Timothy Green is exactly that kind of movie. They aren't *exactly* a bad movies podcast, although a lot of the movies they watch are pretty terrible. They're more of, well, their title. They like watching movies that make them scratch their collective heads and say "wow, how in the hell did this ever get made"? Crank and Crank 2 are also indicative examples of this BTW (I would go so far as to call both of these movies, linked together, as a kind of Pink Flamingos of 2000s action movies, as much an avant garde exercise in what a producer and director can get away with in a film ostensibly okayed by Hollywood as it is about anything so mundane as "plot" or "character").
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

personate-rain