Author Topic: Zelda: Breath of the Wild  (Read 322 times)

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
« on: June 03, 2017, 09:44:31 PM »
Seriously? No topic on this?

In the running for my favorite game ever. Most recently my favorite game was probably Red Dead Redemption, so Zelda fits neatly into that. Beautiful expansive landscape, sandbox, changing scenery, lots to discover. This game definitely takes the elements of RDR that were great and adds tons and tons of fantastic things to keep you hooked. (Not saying Zelda took those elements from that game specifically, just saying they have them in common).

I can pick it up for 5 minutes and be satisfied (and the nature of the Nintendo Switch makes this element especially great) or I can play for hours and get lost in the world constantly chasing after shiny objects.

I've been putting off ending the game and have just been doing every side thing I can come up with, but I'll probably finally fight Gannon this weekend. I know that I can keep playing after I do that, but knowing me that'll be the last time I pick up the game (until the DLC content gets released).

My wife made fun of how obsessed I was (up until recently I would have said she doesn't play video games at all) but I had her try Zelda and she's almost as hooked as I am. She's been up until 4 playing the last few nights, and she loves talking about it. That's another cool thing about the game, how easy it is to have a quick, weird, nerdy chat with anyone who's played. "How many shrines you got?" "How many korok seeds?" "Did you find x?" "Did you know about y?"

Great stuff.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Zelda: Breath of the Wild
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 04:18:31 AM »
I only had the game for two weekends so I played with purpose to destroy Ganon. It was actually quite cool to feel some sense of urgency and it made me have to decide between bringing down divine beasts or chasing butterflies.

What I loved the most is the open ended design, I did little recon missions on the castle, barely getting out alive each time and I made a plan, stocked up on supplies, got a nights sleep in an inn and set out in the morning. The feeling of drama and narrative was amazing and I snuck in to the castle having to improvise on the fly with my plan but making it to Ganon amd winning on a first try which did not feel easy but gave me the satisfaction of a really well designed game that lets you figure it out with available info.

I have a week off work now and Ive decided to go back and have a vacation in Highrule. Do some rock climbing, some snow boarding and try to ride a bear!
Maybe its time for me to settle down and build a house.

Online Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
Re: Zelda: Breath of the Wild
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 04:40:09 PM »
Can't wait to play this!!!

personate-rain