Author Topic: Things Movies Get Wrong That You Are A Pedant For Getting Mad About  (Read 11059 times)

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Things Movies Get Wrong That You Are A Pedant For Getting Mad About
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 06:49:38 PM »
Oh! I just remembered!
Interpol- Not an FBI style organisation that deploys 'agents' to arrest people.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2017, 04:07:05 AM »
Magical CSI . . . .Does that count?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 10:01:08 AM »
Three seconds of CPR, followed by a solemn "I did everything I could, but he's gone". I get that showing 15 minutes of CPR would be a bit of an issue, but I still roll my eyes every damn time.
Mooohn!

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 10:53:34 AM »
Three seconds of CPR, followed by a solemn "I did everything I could, but he's gone". I get that showing 15 minutes of CPR would be a bit of an issue, but I still roll my eyes every damn time.
I saw a TV show once where a woman's child was in an iron lung. The power failed. She manually pumped the lung until the lever broke, then did CPR for hours until somebody finally showed up at her apartment.

Heroic? She couldn't get to the phone and call for help before the kid suffocated?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Harry Black

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 11:10:56 AM »
With the magic of editing though, they could skip 15 minutes or aslong as they need.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2017, 01:07:01 PM »
With the magic of editing though, they could skip 15 minutes or aslong as they need.

True, though I could see how that could detract from the emotional intensity of a scene.
Mooohn!

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2017, 02:07:02 PM »
Oh, also, faith being displayed as a virtue. I get real curmudgeony about that one.
Mooohn!

Offline jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2017, 02:42:31 PM »
I've seen flying scenes where the actors take off in one airplane and land in another.  Similarly, the parachute that skydivers open is different from the one they land with.  In the worst instance, a skydiver had a square chute in the air, but a round one when he landed.  Misused climbing gear, or climbing gear that is brand new, is also annoying.

In the TV series Goliath, Chez Jay in Santa Monica is supposed to be the main character's home bar.  The exterior scenes are a shot in front of the actual Chez Jay, but the interior scenes are shot elsewhere.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 02:44:39 PM by jt512 »

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2017, 04:04:48 PM »
I've seen flying scenes where the actors take off in one airplane and land in another.

Continuity busts like this are kind of fun to spot, they don't really take me out of the story.

But bad accents just make me cringe.  And I'm not talking about South Boston vs Cambridge like Good Will Hunting.

I'm talking Liam Neeson and Jessica Lange in Rob Roy, and Kevin Costner in Robin Hood.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2017, 05:07:34 PM »
Impossible geography.

The one that always gets me is the office in Sydney that has a view of the Opera House in the foreground and the Harbor Bridge in the background.  Where is your office?  On the Manly ferry?

Similar to that office with a view of the Washington Monument and the Whitehouse, that must sit on a hoverboard over the tidal basin.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2017, 05:52:44 PM »
Most anything gun, combat, or military related. Putting a silencer on a rifle makes it so quiet you can zap someone in the head from 50 yards away and nobody else hears it. Also, protracted gun battles with rifles don't make it hard to hear at all. A single stab from a sharpened toothbrush is an instant death, and people who are stabbed or shot die quickly and quietly so the main characters can converse instead of moaning or screaming in pain.

Occasionally so bad it's good, when fights involve taking turns. Each person gets a turn to attack a bunch, because that's only fair. It works in highly stylized martial arts movies, less so in "real" gritty action movies.

Any time there's an unexplained change in the universe. Example, the new Ghostbusters.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 05:56:26 PM by SkeptiQueer »
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2017, 07:34:19 PM »
Idiotic motivations for Bond-esque villainy, such as "We're facing an apocalyptic future because of climate change and overpopulation. Better murder all the humans!".

(Also, getting outside the scope of this thread a bit, but fucking hyperactive editing!)
Mooohn!

Offline Harry Black

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2017, 08:16:16 PM »
How about- Throwing knives and arrows are a silent way to kill people.
Ever heard someone get stabbed? Its...not quiet.
Likewise- all necks are made of matchsticks and all knees are dry kindling.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 08:19:09 PM by Harry Black »

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2017, 08:37:38 PM »
Ever heard someone get stabbed? Its...not quiet.

The fact that you know this is a little unsettling. }|:op

Offline bimble

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2017, 08:56:34 PM »
I always find it amusing at how much punishment a human body can take in a movie... fall 20 feet onto concrete or get thrown into a wall... bounce straight back up, no harm, no foul!

personate-rain
personate-rain