Author Topic: Things Movies Get Wrong That You Are A Pedant For Getting Mad About  (Read 11042 times)

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
Re: Things Movies Get Wrong That You Are A Pedant For Getting Mad About
« Reply #285 on: April 10, 2017, 08:50:12 AM »
The trick is to clear your throats a lot while talking.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #286 on: April 10, 2017, 09:00:10 AM »
How many movies are there in which an american speaks english with a Dutch accent?

I haven't actually counted them, but not many. There are a few though. Usually when characters go to the depraved city of Amsterdam for hookers and drugs.

I generally dislike cities. Amsterdam is one of the few exceptions. And I never used drugs or patronized any hookers while there. (I did walk through the red light district once, but could not get up the nerve to approach any hookers.) Great museums, and I enjoyed buying fish from street vendors, and the trolly system. I was there circa 1965. And again for a brief stop-over circa 1999.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #287 on: April 10, 2017, 10:06:43 AM »
I haven't actually counted them, but not many. There are a few though. Usually when characters go to the depraved city of Amsterdam for hookers and drugs.

I spent a lot of time in the Netherlands (mostly Rotterdam) about twelve years ago and loved it, but even the non-red-light areas of Amsterdam, and especially the tourist areas, seemed to have an over-abundance of single guys looking rather worse for wear, just hanging out. It became unnerving to me, and I stopped going there.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #288 on: April 10, 2017, 10:25:55 AM »

I spent a lot of time in the Netherlands (mostly Rotterdam) about twelve years ago and loved it, but even the non-red-light areas of Amsterdam, and especially the tourist areas, seemed to have an over-abundance of single guys looking rather worse for wear, just hanging out. It became unnerving to me, and I stopped going there.

I studied in Amsterdam, but I never moved there. I prefer smaller cities. Amsterdam is really overrun by tourists, and quite a few of them are permanently stoned. Ironically the stereotypes apply more to the tourists than to the Dutch themselves. Most Dutch people rarely (if ever) smoke marijuana, though of course there are exceptions - and I did smoke pot with my mom once, which was hilarious. I've only met one guy who's admitted to visiting a prostitute (and he just went once, to lose his virginity, which bothered him a great deal).
Mooohn!

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #289 on: April 10, 2017, 10:56:16 AM »
"Quigley Down Under".
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #290 on: April 10, 2017, 11:27:41 AM »
So if it were a thing that happened as much as it does for others, it might be a thing that bothers you.
Or it might not.
In any case, this is a thread for pedantry on things movies get wrong and accents are one such thing.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #291 on: April 10, 2017, 07:29:40 PM »
And while we're at it, Australian accents.

It's not like there are no Australian actors around. Why do you have to make Americans do really really awful Australian accents that any actual Australian will cringe at?

It's the main reason I haven't watched Pacific Rim yet.

Good attempts at an Aussie accent are so rare (I can't think of one), that if I hear a good one on TV or in a movie, I am not shocked when an IMDB search shows they are in fact Australian.

Then again many Aussies have/had shocking Aussie accents. Steve Irwin for example. No-one I know sounds like that.

Heck, even Steve Irwin didn't talk like that. It was an affectation for the camera.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #292 on: April 10, 2017, 08:43:24 PM »
The super nice Canadian trope seems to exist even in serious movies.
In drama driven serious movies I have seen stereotypical "oh gezz, sorry bout that folks" Canadians.

It seems like it's what Americans actually think we are like, instead of it being a comedic stereotype.

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #293 on: April 10, 2017, 09:02:12 PM »
In drama driven serious movies I have seen stereotypical "oh gezz, sorry bout that folks" Canadians.

It seems like it's what Americans actually think we are like, instead of it being a comedic stereotype.
We're just such assholes that y'all seem nice by comparison.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #294 on: April 10, 2017, 09:08:03 PM »

Mooohn!

Offline CarbShark

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #295 on: April 11, 2017, 01:27:02 AM »

"Slap Shot"
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #296 on: April 11, 2017, 06:09:34 AM »

"Slap Shot"
My lead Psych prof. gave me an "A" for turning him on to that movie.  ;D
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #297 on: May 20, 2017, 07:55:38 AM »
In "Alien: Covenant" the crew finds a heretofore undiscovered planet, lands on it, and marches out in street clothes. Micro critters infestation follows quickly.

Seriously, just jump out on the surface and run around?  >:(

Offline Nemmzy

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #298 on: May 20, 2017, 10:33:04 AM »
In every historical film, people are far too clean. Every historical film about European during the early to mid-middle ages the armies, buildings, and roads are far too big and impressive. Outside of a hand full of Churchs, most of the structure in Europe at the time were basically hovels. Even 'kings' (most of whom were just petty warlords) lived in dwellings we would consider very unimpressive today. Most of the stuff you see in movies is late middle ages or Renaissance period.

Honestly, if the movie is good inaccuracies don't bother me. If the movie is bad they stick out even worse. I am enjoying The Last Kingdom on Netflix right now which is okay but not great on accuracy because the story is good.

As for Aliens, I could forgive every scientific inaccuracy in that franchise if it would go back to being good. I have not seen Covenant but the last two movies in the series I saw, I was rooting for the Aliens the characters were so bad.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 10:37:32 AM by Nemmzy »

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #299 on: May 20, 2017, 11:31:21 AM »
In every historical film, people are far too clean. Every historical film about European during the early to mid-middle ages the armies, buildings, and roads are far too big and impressive. Outside of a hand full of Churchs, most of the structure in Europe at the time were basically hovels. Even 'kings' (most of whom were just petty warlords) lived in dwellings we would consider very unimpressive today. Most of the stuff you see in movies is late middle ages or Renaissance period.

Honestly, if the movie is good inaccuracies don't bother me. If the movie is bad they stick out even worse. I am enjoying The Last Kingdom on Netflix right now which is okay but not great on accuracy because the story is good.

As for Aliens, I could forgive every scientific inaccuracy in that franchise if it would go back to being good. I have not seen Covenant but the last two movies in the series I saw, I was rooting for the Aliens the characters were so bad.
"Dirty Little Billy" was dirty. Cowboys used to get a "Saturday night bath" because the entertainers at the brothels insisted on it. Their clothes would be washed for a small fee if they paid to spend the night. Among other things it was flea control.