Author Topic: Things Movies Get Wrong That You Are A Pedant For Getting Mad About  (Read 11041 times)

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
Re: Things Movies Get Wrong That You Are A Pedant For Getting Mad About
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2017, 09:42:02 PM »
I always find it amusing at how much punishment a human body can take in a movie... fall 20 feet onto concrete or get thrown into a wall... bounce straight back up, no harm, no foul!

Mooohn!

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2017, 10:16:53 PM »
Impossible geography.

The one that always gets me is the office in Sydney that has a view of the Opera House in the foreground and the Harbor Bridge in the background.  Where is your office?  On the Manly ferry?

Similar to that office with a view of the Washington Monument and the Whitehouse, that must sit on a hoverboard over the tidal basin.
God, there was this TV movie that was for some reason set in Portland but obviously shot in Seattle, to the point that there was a scene in which the International Fountain was featured prominently.

(click to show/hide)

At the time, I was just like "why not just set it in Seattle? Or why not film it in Portland? Is Portland so expensive that this could not be done?" (the answer is no; even then, I'm sure that if anywhere Seattle was more expensive).
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline CarbShark

• Too Much Spare Time
Things Movies Get Wrong That You Are A Pedant For Getting Mad About
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2017, 01:10:55 AM »
Hot wiring cars. Apparently there are two wires under the dashboard that start the engine and automatically disable the mechanical steering wheel and transmission locks

Your mileage may vary.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 10:30:08 AM by estockly »
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2017, 03:51:23 AM »
Aliens. You might ask what is there to get right? But I think for one humans would never be able to fight off something that intended to destroy us, if we weren't also an interstellar civilization. Mainly because destruction is so much easier. We have the ability to end pretty much all life on the planet, but we can barely travel to Mars.

Anyone who can get here can pick up an asteroid and destroy us before there's any chance of retaliating. That's the low-budget option.

If we were an interplanetary civilization, maybe we'd have the ability to fend off deliberate impact events, but not if they were coming in at relativistic speeds.

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2017, 08:18:36 AM »
Specifically the line in Jurassic Park where Lexi sits down at the computer console and says, "This is a UNIX system, I know this."
UNIX or not, that software was written specifically for the park and somehow she "knows" the system and flies right through locking all the doors and whatnot.

On the subject of injuries as others have mentioned, Tim gets electrocuted by 50,000 volts from an electric fence. Allan gives him CPR and within seconds Tim is as good as new (with a slight limp for some reason).

In Jurassic World the younger kid (Gray) seems to know a variety of strange information indicating that he is above average in intelligence. "Dane County Airport is thirty six minutes away, sixty with traffic." And later, "When they first opened, they had eight species. Now they have fourteen herbivores and six carnivores. That's like fifty tons of food a week." When they reach the island he asks his brother how big the island is. Zach says, "Big" and Gray says, "I mean how many pounds?" A kid with his supposed intelligence wouldn't ask such a stupid question.

While I'm on JW, the girlfriend at the beginning served no purpose in the film. They could have completely cut her scene out.

"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Online superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2017, 09:03:47 AM »
something that really makes the first die hard movie work so well is that McLean doesn't seem invulnerable,  his injuries do hurt him and affect him for most of the movie.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2017, 09:15:07 AM »
Still no movie or TV dinosaurs, ever, with proper feathers and anatomy.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2017, 11:39:12 AM »
Specifically the line in Jurassic Park where Lexi sits down at the computer console and says, "This is a UNIX system, I know this."
UNIX or not, that software was written specifically for the park and somehow she "knows" the system and flies right through locking all the doors and whatnot.

On the subject of injuries as others have mentioned, Tim gets electrocuted by 50,000 volts from an electric fence. Allan gives him CPR and within seconds Tim is as good as new (with a slight limp for some reason).

In Jurassic World the younger kid (Gray) seems to know a variety of strange information indicating that he is above average in intelligence. "Dane County Airport is thirty six minutes away, sixty with traffic." And later, "When they first opened, they had eight species. Now they have fourteen herbivores and six carnivores. That's like fifty tons of food a week." When they reach the island he asks his brother how big the island is. Zach says, "Big" and Gray says, "I mean how many pounds?" A kid with his supposed intelligence wouldn't ask such a stupid question.

While I'm on JW, the girlfriend at the beginning served no purpose in the film. They could have completely cut her scene out.
Gray's brother did say "Aren't you supposed to be a genius or something?" I wasn't bothered with the "pounds" thing, he just wanted to know MORE about the island. I've known a couple of semi-stable geniuses in my time and they confounded me more than once with questions I didn't know we could ask.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2017, 11:55:04 AM »
I think the answer seems to be, anything I know about that the generally public doesn't.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2017, 02:12:26 PM »

Can't vouch for the anatomy part, but:

Probably a shitty movie, though.
Mooohn!

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2017, 06:37:15 PM »
Would the adults still have feathers?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline bimble

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2017, 06:43:33 PM »

Presumably would depend on their purpose... if they were used for display or heat retention, maybe.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2017, 07:15:26 PM »

Presumably would depend on their purpose... if they were used for display or heat retention, maybe.
That's what I was wondering, does a multi-ton dino need insulation? Display, yeah, on the males.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2017, 09:59:02 PM »
Snipers sticking their rifle way out of the window.
Mooohn!

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2017, 04:24:33 AM »

Why not? We do not really know of any extant dinosaurs, not even the larger ones like ostriches that lose feather coverage as they grow older. Of course we don't have Tyrannosaurus-sized ones these days, but the principle is similar.

Also, we do have evidence of large dinosaurs with feathers, from the tyrannosauroid Yutyrannus to a yet unpublished, bristled Triceratops.

Furthermore, phylogenetic bracketing also suggests that many dinosaurs were feathered: we have evidence of many basal (early) specimens of several lineages were feathered, and we also have evidence of the presence of feathers from later relatives as well. Therefore we can assume that we have feathers in between as well. Or not, we are not that sure, but most recent discoveries point at a general abundance of feathers among dinosaur groups.

Plus, nature doesn't always make sense. Just look at the legs of Spinosaurus.