Author Topic: Episode #610  (Read 2348 times)

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Episode #610
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2017, 03:18:19 PM »
You could probably engineer pedestrian rated paving stones with solar panels pretty cheaply.  It still only makes sense as a gimmick or if you really really want an unobtrusive solar panel.   

Offline PsyStat

• Brand New
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2017, 01:31:14 AM »
Four belated stats/methodology thoughts on the follow-up discussion about factors that influence coffee and tea ...

1. For a classic example of a blinded taste test by R. A. Fisher, a pioneering giant in stats, see David Salsburg's (2001) "The Lady Tasting Tea."  Research question: Add milk to tea or vice versa?

2. I'd love to see a rigorous taste test by the SGU crew.  Doing this well could be prohibitively time- and resource-consuming, but even a simple version (e.g., 1 taster, 1 manipulated factor) could nicely illustrate data collection and analysis, including inevitable complications.

3. Food scientists and others have devised numerous "taste test" methods.  For examples, see the Society of Sensory Professionals' Sensory Wiki.  Choosing among these depends on your aims (e.g., discrimination vs. preference), resources, experience, etc.

4. Anyone wanting to optimize his or her coffee- or tea-prep process might consider an approach like response surface methodology.  Its details can get pretty technical, but basically it's used to find which combo of multiple factors yields the best outcome(s).

Offline atrox

• Brand New
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2017, 12:31:08 PM »
Hey there,

I am working on spiders and I just HAVE to correct one thing that people usually get wrong about spiders. Saying "there is only XX spider species that are venomous" is wrong. In fact alomost all of the known spiders (~46.600 at the moment) are venomous and there is only very few exceptions that lost this feature during the course of evolution. These exceptions are actually very rare, only the spider genus of Holarchaea (2 species) and the family Uloboridae (under 300 species) do not have venom glands. Possibly also some members of the very basal Liphistiidae (under 100 species) do not produce venom, but at least some species have been shown to actually posess venom glands in the recent past.
But the majority of spiders produce some kind of venom to overwhelm their prey, so they are in fact venomous. However, only very few produce a venom that will have notworthy effects on humans and/or will frequently be able to penetrate the skin.

all the best
Aj

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2017, 12:47:25 PM »
I met Mandelbrot at a special lecture at the University of Toronto in the 80's. He was my best friend's absolute hero, and I thought his work was pretty cool. When my friend told Mr. M. how inspirational his work was, and that he'd been learning to code so he could do fractals, Mr. M. shit all over him (metaphorically) with an arrogant, dismissive attitude, belittling my friend's efforts.

One data point does not an asshole make, but I did think of him as Mr. Bowel Movement for a long time after.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline jeffgdotorg

• Brand New
  • Brainwashed by the Establishment
Conspiracies, and helping their victims (Re: Episode #610)
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2017, 11:41:39 AM »
Hi, I'm a new listener working backwards through the episode catalog; sorry about the late reply. On the subject of dark conspiracy theories and fighting same:

I enjoyed the discussion (starting at 35m30s) and agree that a promising strategic approach is to target highly visible promoters, limiting their ability to reach unwary marks. I'm doing just that via a professional board action against one promoter whose influence I believe nudged my father down the rabbit-hole. Bringing the action feels good, and I know it's a public service, but what about my father? In his case, as in so many others, the damage is done, and I'm wondering what the community thinks are generally the best ways to help those already trapped in Wonderland.

Thanks for the show, folks. I've tried out several generalist skeptic podcasts, and yours is the first one that really suits me. I appreciate the relatively soft touch, the variety of backgrounds (if not surnames  ;)) among the presenters, the adherence to schedule, and the production values. Especially with five presenters, I know that last one is hard to achieve.

personate-rain