Author Topic: Chuck Berry Rock Founding Figure - Dead at 90.  (Read 570 times)

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Chuck Berry Rock Founding Figure - Dead at 90.
« on: March 18, 2017, 10:00:40 PM »
He had a good run, didnt he.

He seemed to love what he was doing, and went at it full stream, and the result was something awesome.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/03/18/rock_n_roll_legend_chuck_berry_has_died_at_90.html

EDIT: After reading a couple of bios, he did some sketchy shit.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 10:05:07 PM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
Re: Chuck Berry Rock Founding Figure - Dead at 90.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 08:27:41 AM »
Like Bo Diddley, Chuck created a couple classic riffs and rhythm patterns so iconic that it is hard to play rock guitar without copying him.

My favorite story comes from a performance in Cincinnati I saw about 20 years ago. Rather than use his own band, he would hire a local covers band at each stop, and then pay them (poorly) based on how well they knew and performed his music. He gave few cues and almost no rehearsal beyond a sound check, rather would just start songs and the band needed to catch up.

The local newspaper chronicled his day's work. He flew in the afternoon by private plane from his home in St. Louis to Cincinnati's smaller business airport, near the outside amphitheater, carrying only his guitar. Limo to the brief sound check, just before the gates opened. Did his show, and then limo back to the airport and back home to St. Louis. He avoided shows where he could not do that schedule.

The band members would likely pay for free if they had to. But this was a great gig for professional pride.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
Chuck Berry Rock Founding Figure - Dead at 90.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 12:02:12 PM »

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 12:06:01 PM by estockly »
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
Re: Chuck Berry Rock Founding Figure - Dead at 90.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 09:38:00 PM »

brought tears to my eye. What a beautiful thought.