Author Topic: "Every Episode is worth listening to" Podcasts  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
"Every Episode is worth listening to" Podcasts
« on: March 20, 2017, 12:32:24 PM »
Caustic Soda
Radio Lab
Hardcore History

What are yours?

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
Re: "Every Episode is worth listening to" Podcasts
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 02:28:08 PM »
What is this "Caustic Soda" that everybody keeps lamenting missing all the time?

99% invisible
Science VS.
undone
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 05:31:47 PM »
I second Caustic Soda

Also:
Malcolm Gladwell's Revisionist History
Kermode and Mayo Film Reviews (Hello to Jason Isaacs, btw)
The Tetrapod Zoology Podcast

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 05:39:12 PM »
With the caveat: if you're in to this sort of thing at all, you won't want to dabble - either listen to all of them or none of them.

Hello from the Magic Tavern
Star Wars Minute
Mission Log

Basically, anything that you like that is serial rather than episodic.  Many of my favourites are interviews or chat http://sguforums.com/index.php/board,25.0.htmlshows - you can skip the odd one here and there if the topic or guest isn't for you.  But the serial ones you kinda need to be all-in or all-out.

There are a few standout episodic shows, like our favourite Caustic Soda, but they are few and far between (and even for CS there were a couple that I deliberately skipped that were one step too horrible).
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 05:46:22 PM »
99% invisible except I'm not sure how the latest episode about churches that gave sanctuary to illegal aliens really fit into a podcast about design.

SGU

The History of Rome when it still existed.

Hardcore history

Freakanomics

PlanetMoney

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 05:55:42 PM »
Yeah, I second History of Rome. Is it still around to download? Those were pretty great and even the later ones weren't *too* long, which seems to be the thing that always happens to shows as they go along. Otherwise, my podlisteningering is not as strong as it used to but I guess I'd still list:

Undisclosed (true crime by 3 lawyers who originally got together poking holes in the state of Maryland's case against Adnan Syed)
Crime Writers On... (by the woman who produces the Undisclosed podcast. I think this one is a go-to because it reviews other true crime podcasts/TV shows/etc. and tells you whether they're worth listening to. Also it's fun in its own right)
Around the NFL (because I like football, dammit)
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 08:32:06 PM »
Hope y'all don't mind me reviving this thread, some really good recommendations in here--it's like a distillation of folks' absolute favorites from the "which podcasts are we listening to" thread.

Myths and Legends --  Retelling of myths and legends from around the world in modern English language and style. He tries to be true to the original stories, but also feels that part of the tradition of storytelling is slight variation as the narrator sees fit; he always says so when he does this, and I think it's almost always a thoughtful and good addition, since there are often conflicting and/or incomplete sources.

There aren't that many episodes, I caught up in a few months of including it in my rotation. Every single episode was great, can't wait for the new ones each week.

Black Jack Justice  --  A recommendation from panda a zillion years ago; noir-style radio show centering upon the adventures of a pair of love-to-hate-each-other private detectives. Procedural, rather than serialized, which I like. Silly, fun, witty, and relatively short episodes. Also, The Red Panda is a similarly-styled (noir, radio) show by the same folks at Decoder Ring Theater, centered on a Batman-type Canadian superhero.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 08:43:15 PM »
I enjoy Myths and Legends too. Although, I had to get used to his voice. Whispy, some fry, and says "sawl", instead of "saw". Minor stuff though. The music is great.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 10:03:51 PM »
Third to Myths and Legends.

I'll add Skeptics with a K to the list, as well as The Adventure Zone. I can only wish I could tell as compelling a story as Griffin does.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 12:40:06 AM »
Opening Arguments.  Thomas of Thomas and the Bible and a lawyer named Andrew Torres who's starting to really make a name in skeptical circles break down all kinds of aspects of the law, giving you the straight dope on everything from topical legal questions to legal urban legends.

Please note: the hosts have an unapologetically liberal political slant, but they don't let that get in the way of the facts—just the snark with which they deliver them.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online John Albert

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 01:25:02 PM »
Here are a couple that might amuse some fans of the late Caustic Soda.

The Dollop, if you're into American history being discussed in a jocular manner.

Citation Needed, wherein all the hosts of The Scathing Atheist and Cognitive Dissonance team up to make light of random topics from Wikipedia.

personate-rain