Author Topic: CBS announces new Star Trek series in 2017!  (Read 1238 times)

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
Re: CBS announces new Star Trek series in 2017!
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 02:11:01 PM »
Yeah, that happened in 2016. Reportedly he asked for a delay in the release date and they denied him so he left to focus on American Gods. Then they delayed it 3-4 times anyways...

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2017, 09:02:26 AM »
Coworker worked in the costume department for this. She said "yeah, it's going to piss off all die hard trek fans". Hrmph. Looks like they're going with the boring JJ Klingons.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Online superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 09:30:50 AM »
I thought the trailer was meh and I have a lot of issues with the general setup, but that being said, I so miss a show in the mold of Star Trek TOS and the Next Gen that I will give this a chance.

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 10:01:33 AM »
I thought the trailer was meh and I have a lot of issues with the general setup, but that being said, I so miss a show in the mold of Star Trek TOS and the Next Gen that I will give this a chance.
Me too.

Online bimble

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 11:57:59 AM »
Coworker worked in the costume department for this. She said "yeah, it's going to piss off all die hard trek fans". Hrmph. Looks like they're going with the boring JJ Klingons.

I have never understood the need to piss off the one group of people you know will be on your side from the start.

Like the alt-timeline in the new movies. "Oh it means anyone could die so exciting..." even though we all know they're not going to kill off any of the main characters. They even had to bring Kirk back in their Khan rip-off... at least the originals made you wait till the third to bring Spock back.

Oh well, I may eventually get round to seeing this... if the reviews are good and I can be bothered...

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2017, 02:51:02 PM »
I decided to not bother with nuTrek after the Khan remake.

Sci-fi succeeds best when it puts today's problems into tomorrow's context. 

In the 1970s, fears of increasing growth rates gave us Soylent Green.  Too many people, not enough, got to eat the people.

In the 2000s, fears of declining growth rates gave us Children of Men.  A world in turmoil because it just plumb ran outta babies. 

And it's good, too, when it's juts generic science fiction fare.

But Star Trek did all that against a utopian backdrop, and the way they want about that is what made it unique.  It's what hooked me into it.  This nuTrek business doesn't. And it doesn't seem like it'll ever get away from starting as JJ Abrams video resume for Star Wars
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2017, 04:25:23 PM »
As I've said, I will definitely give this show a chance, but the more I think about the trailer, the more I feel it's not headed in the right direction. One thing that sticks out to me now is that there is zero evidence of charm or humor in this show thus far. That's something that even Nu Trek managed to incorporate well enough and it's absolutely appropriate a part of Trek's DNA that shouldn't be forgotten. A somber, dark, and super serious Star Trek show would turn me off I think.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 04:29:14 PM »
Doesn't need to be dark and serious.  It just needs to be reminiscent of TNG or TOS
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2017, 04:37:31 PM »
Doesn't need to be dark and serious.  It just needs to be reminiscent of TNG or TOS

That'd be my first choice too, but honestly, since this show is only 15 episodes, I'm open to a different narrative style and a different premise as well (Hell, DS9 is now my favorite Trek show) . Just don't forget WHY Star Trek was so beloved in the first place, just to appeal to new audiences.

Online superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2017, 05:06:41 PM »
the thing all the series have done to some degree that movies never quite captured, is the feeling of familiarity and family.  I loved seeing the crew of the enterprise work as a team and as friends to solve the problem of the week, and usually the solution engaged brains over brawn. 

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 08:59:10 PM »
I have never understood the need to piss off the one group of people you know will be on your side from the start.
I think this is an unwarranted assumption. The die-hard fans will be pissed off regardless of what you do. You could remake TOS scene-for-scene and they'd complain that you didn't do it right.

personate-rain