Author Topic: What's the proper etiquette here?  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
Re: What's the proper etiquette here?
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2017, 03:02:28 PM »
so um, in conclusion.

I'm just going to make sure to wipe down the mat before I put my knees there.
That sounds like good, general life advice!  :)

Sounds like the advice of a Discworld deity...

"O lord, please enlighten us with your endless wisdom!"

"Well... er, just make sure to wipe down the mat before you put your knees there."
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2017, 03:36:14 PM »
I always lower the leg part and just do a pull up. What is the function of the leg part/weight part?
To reduce  your own body weight on a pull up. It's an assist to build you up to your own body weight basically.

Luckily, we haven't a machine like that.  Just a setup that allows multiple grips (my elbows like the choice of a neutral grip) and anyone that wants an assist just uses an elastic band.  I wouldn't think pulling up from a straight elbow hang as shown in the link is a good idea for one's elbows. 
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2017, 05:37:15 PM »
I always lower the leg part and just do a pull up. What is the function of the leg part/weight part?
To reduce  your own body weight on a pull up. It's an assist to build you up to your own body weight basically.

Luckily, we haven't a machine like that.  Just a setup that allows multiple grips (my elbows like the choice of a neutral grip) and anyone that wants an assist just uses an elastic band.  I wouldn't think pulling up from a straight elbow hang as shown in the link is a good idea for one's elbows.
Hmmm don't know about the machine in the link, but the one at my gym has multiple grips at different levels as well. It's also an assisted dip machine. I definitely don't ever extend my arms fully on any exercise, just to the point of full extension as I don't want to over extend and work the joint itself.
I like it, I'm 220lbs (give or take) and I don't have the strength yet to pull or dip my full body weight, so taking 50-60lbs off is better than struggling from a dead hang. I envy shorter people often, it would be nicer to have a better size to strength ratio.  :laugh:
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2017, 05:44:10 PM »

Hmmm don't know about the machine in the link, but the one at my gym has multiple grips at different levels as well. It's also an assisted dip machine. I definitely don't ever extend my arms fully on any exercise, just to the point of full extension as I don't want to over extend and work the joint itself.
I like it, I'm 220lbs (give or take) and I don't have the strength yet to pull or dip my full body weight, so taking 50-60lbs off is better than struggling from a dead hang. I envy shorter people often, it would be nicer to have a better size to strength ratio.  :laugh:

I remember when I fully extended my arms with pull ups or dipped below 45ยบ.  Pull ups and dips are very functional exercises.

I will add 15 kgs to dips and pull ups, three sets of three, but lately I have fallen into the 15/8/4 thing with them.  Instead of adding weight each set, I just reduce the rest time so that the last four are a struggle to keep good form. 
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2017, 12:19:25 AM »
I wouldn't think pulling up from a straight elbow hang as shown in the link is a good idea for one's elbows. 
why?
Quote from: George William Foote
Priestcraft nourishes hope in the scientific laboratory, and feels only faint misgivings in academic halls; but it pales and withers at the smile of scepticism, and hears in a low laugh the note of the trump of doom."

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2017, 03:59:18 AM »
I wouldn't think pulling up from a straight elbow hang as shown in the link is a good idea for one's elbows. 
why?

A lot of torque on a joint that seems to be susceptible to injury for no benefit unless one is a gymnast. 

Warren Zevon

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2017, 04:52:03 AM »
why?

A lot of torque on a joint that seems to be susceptible to injury for no benefit unless one is a gymnast. 

what makes you think dead hang pullups are a cause of elbow injuries?

I mean, you may as well blame the leg press for the existence of ankle injuries. seems arbitrary given the wide range of activities more likely to be the cause
Quote from: George William Foote
Priestcraft nourishes hope in the scientific laboratory, and feels only faint misgivings in academic halls; but it pales and withers at the smile of scepticism, and hears in a low laugh the note of the trump of doom."

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2017, 03:07:06 PM »
why?

what makes you think dead hang pullups are a cause of elbow injuries?

I mean, you may as well blame the leg press for the existence of ankle injuries. seems arbitrary given the wide range of activities more likely to be the cause

Just like grip and hand position, one needs to take care to not injure oneself.  I find that not going from a dead hang (not functional for me) and using a neutral grip (we don't have rings) allows me to do heaps of a very functional exercise without pain or injury.  When I used dead hang starts in the past, I had elbow pain for no gain.

That said, I never say anything to anyone about any exercise they are doing unless they ask.

Warren Zevon

personate-rain