Author Topic: Vocal Fry  (Read 2591 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Vocal Fry
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2017, 03:52:21 AM »
I can quite easily induce or control fry in my voice, so I assume that others can as well.  Indeed, it's something one can be trained in or to avoid.  It seems perfectly likely to me that for some people, at least, it is an affectation.  Outside of disease or a few edge cases, I see no reason to treat it as beyond criticism.

I can, yes, if I think about it and make a conscious decision to do so. I don't, and I don't think that most other people routinely do either. There are of course likely to be some exceptions, but I don't think people consciously decide to uptalk either. It's an affectation that is developed according to the culture a person is embedded in, like whether you say "haitch" or "aitch", not a deliberate choice.

That obviously doesn't mean that I think that it's beyond criticism. When I was podcasting, I made a conscious choice to avoid fry as much as I could because I knew some people had a negative reaction to it and that might have caused people to stop listening to my show. That is, in my opinion, one good reason to avoid it.

But I don't think most people think about their voices that much. They just speak and aren't concerned about how their voice sounds to others. Again, there will be exceptions.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 03:54:44 AM by arthwollipot »

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2017, 10:05:24 AM »
I finally got around to searching for a YouTube video demonstrating what vocal fry is. My conclusion: Meh. I don't see what the big deal is. It just doesn't bother me. I do find a Texas accent very annoying. (On the other hand, I really like a Carolina accent, an Edinburgh accent, or most of all, in Spanish, a Castilian accent.)

(I think Cara has said she's from Texas, but I don't hear any Texas in her voice at all. Maybe she left when she was still very young? Or worked to get rid of it?)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
  • Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2017, 12:44:17 PM »
This is something they talked about on This American Life because they have many young female reporters that have vocal fry. They got a lot of people complaining about the women, yet as far as I can remember, they never got a single complaint about Ira Glass despite him also having vocal fry.

I first noticed it when I was being forced to watch keeping up with the karadashians (long story) and the three sisters said thank you in unison. For a few years it bugged me when I heard it in others. However, I eventually realised it was more about my dislike of the kardashians than dislike for vocal fry. Now it doesn't bother me at all.

Edited to add the link https://m.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/545/if-you-dont-have-anything-nice-to-say-say-it-in-all-caps?act=2

THIS was what I was trying to remember.
I've got to go.  Have you got a clock?  I'm meant to be helping save the Universe.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2017, 02:19:15 PM »
Which, again, is not directly sexist *per se*, but is probably indicative of 2nd or 3rd degree sexism

Please define "2nd degree sexism" and "3rd degree sexism."
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2017, 02:24:33 PM »
Which, again, is not directly sexist *per se*, but is probably indicative of 2nd or 3rd degree sexism

Please define "2nd degree sexism" and "3rd degree sexism."
My bad, it's actually called 2nd generation sexism.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Second-generation_gender_bias
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2017, 08:22:11 PM »
Does Tomi Lahren have vocal fry? Because I very much dislike her.

Honestly I never notice it on anyone, except Bill Clinton, and I had never considered that until this thread.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #111 on: April 05, 2017, 03:00:01 PM »
Vocal fry doesn't bother me at all.  I'd hardly notice if it weren't for so many people complaining about it.

I watched part of a quantum mechanics video yesterday and this brilliant guy stammers and um's and uh's and sucks his tongue so often I couldn't finish it.

https://youtu.be/U47kyV4TMnE?t=352
Amend and resubmit.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #112 on: April 11, 2017, 10:38:21 AM »
I agree it is totally sexist.  I mean have you seen the video?

Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

personate-rain
personate-rain