Author Topic: Vocal Fry  (Read 2595 times)

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Vocal Fry
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2017, 06:04:22 PM »
It is difficult to speak well, it doesn't mean when people don't speak well it's not annoying.

Look, I think everyone has verbal ticks that they could stand to lose.  I appreciate it when mine get corrected, because I like being well-spoken, it's someting I strive to do.  Sometimes I don't care and I'm goofing off, but when I'm speaking publicly I try to express myself in a way that allows my ideas to be heard unobstrcted.  It's a skill and it requires work.  If you're a public speaker, work on it.  It's not on your audience to accept your laziness in how you present your material, it's on you to deliver it well.  Vocal fry, HRT, "like" are all encumbering your speech.

Offline NEKSkeptic

• Banned
  • Well Established
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2017, 06:39:19 PM »
Yeah, I can't speak for amysrevenge or others but I think it's 2nd degree sexism in the sense that it is.
That's not an argument.   

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2017, 06:43:04 PM »
similar to HRT

Hormone replacement therapy...?!

high rising terminal and YOU KNEW THAT YOU'RE JUST TROLLING ME WHYYYYY

Honestly, I didn't.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2017, 11:40:42 PM »
I never noticed vocal fry until people started pointing it out. It took me a while to work out what they meant. It just seemed to me to be a normal part of the range of speech. Then people started virtually pathologising it.

It's just normal speech, folks. Some people do it, some don't. Nothing to see here.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2017, 01:43:21 AM »
Yeah, I can't speak for amysrevenge or others but I think it's 2nd degree sexism in the sense that it is.
That's not an argument.
Good. It wasn't intended to be. I am wholly uninterested in "winning" this. All I am doing is expressing my opinion.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2017, 01:43:53 AM »
similar to HRT

Hormone replacement therapy...?!

high rising terminal and YOU KNEW THAT YOU'RE JUST TROLLING ME WHYYYYY

Honestly, I didn't.
HID
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2017, 06:16:23 AM »
I never noticed vocal fry until people started pointing it out. It took me a while to work out what they meant. It just seemed to me to be a normal part of the range of speech. Then people started virtually pathologising it.

It's just normal speech, folks. Some people do it, some don't. Nothing to see here.

Same here. I had to look up what the term meant and watch a video to explain it.

I can't say I've noticed it before. Especially in regards to Cara.

Now that I've seen it explained (and heard it), I will probably notice it everywhere.

Offline NEKSkeptic

• Banned
  • Well Established
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2017, 08:09:03 AM »
Good. It wasn't intended to be. I am wholly uninterested in "winning" this. All I am doing is expressing my opinion.
I never thought of it in the context of "winning."  Rather, I was thinking that if you opine that an entire group of people sexist, you would proffer a defensible argument in support of your opinion.  Such accusations ought not to be thrown out lightly.

I can have an "opinion" that God created the earth.  Framing it as an "opinion" does not shield it from skeptical inquiry.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2017, 08:34:43 AM »
I never thought of it in the context of "winning."  Rather, I was thinking that if you opine that an entire group of people sexist, you would proffer a defensible argument in support of your opinion.  Such accusations ought not to be thrown out lightly.

I can have an "opinion" that God created the earth.  Framing it as an "opinion" does not shield it from skeptical inquiry.
Ah, so you were butt hurt by the s word. That's your issue, not mine.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline NEKSkeptic

• Banned
  • Well Established
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2017, 08:47:50 AM »
Actually sexism is not at all my issue.  If you knew me and all of the work I have done in my life you would certainly agree.  But making claims of sexism absent any basis to make the claim is my issue.  That is what you have done.

I'm shocked that you would paint an entire group with a broad brush and then become snarky when asked to back up your claim.  Frankly, it undermines those of us who have worked hard to legitimize claims of actual sexism and combat sexist behavior.  Credibility is important, after all.  Methinks that there may be a bit of mansplaining happening here.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 08:52:53 AM by NEKSkeptic »

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2017, 09:16:05 AM »
I don't know what vocal fry is, and I don't know if I want to know so that I'll start noticing it.

But I wonder if it's like reverse ASMR, and certain voices bother certain people?

Offline NEKSkeptic

• Banned
  • Well Established
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2017, 09:21:35 AM »
I don't know what vocal fry is, and I don't know if I want to know so that I'll start noticing it.

But I wonder if it's like reverse ASMR, and certain voices bother certain people?
Interesting thought.  I find it distracting because it is the same affect you get when you are running out of air.  I think that I am triggered to have some concern when someone doesn't appear to have enough air.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2017, 09:26:02 AM »
Actually sexism is not at all my issue.  If you knew me and all of the work I have done in my life you would certainly agree.  But making claims of sexism absent any basis to make the claim is my issue.  That is what you have done.

I'm shocked that you would paint an entire group with a broad brush and then become snarky when asked to back up your claim.  Frankly, it undermines those of us who have worked hard to legitimize claims of actual sexism and combat sexist behavior.  Credibility is important, after all.  Methinks that there may be a bit of mansplaining happening here.
Wah. You didn't "ask me to back up [my] claim", you just were like REEEEE THATS NOT AN ARGUMENT. I don't care in the context of this thread about "all the work that you've done". If you're trying to imply that you can't make a sexist comment because you've worked against sexism in the past, that's a fallacy by the way:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_fallacy

As for "mansplaining", IF YOU LOOKED AT MY BODY OF WORK YOU WOULD SEE IM NOT A MANSPLAINER REEEEE

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2017, 09:33:59 AM »

Check out the very beginning of that second clip I posted. The woman there (not the reporter!) is engaging in vocal fry.

As noted, too, younger people (apparently it's under 40, not under 35) don't seem to particularly care... so while I'm not actually saying that you can't be turned off by this, it's worth noting, too, that seemingly a whole generation of people dont really see it.

By the way, This American Life had a program on this a couple years ago that I thought was pretty even handed:

https://m.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/545/if-you-dont-have-anything-nice-to-say-say-it-in-all-caps

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline NEKSkeptic

• Banned
  • Well Established
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2017, 09:41:36 AM »
Wah. You didn't "ask me to back up [my] claim
I'm asking you now.

personate-rain
personate-rain