Author Topic: Cost comparison: Discs vs. Streaming  (Read 833 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Cost comparison: Discs vs. Streaming
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 02:01:08 PM »
I remember this "Rainbow Brite" VHS that tragically, quite tragically, broke after a few thousand repetitions. You can't do that with streaming.

Well, I think you can get them on DVD  >:D
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 04:39:35 PM »
If you don't mind waiting for first run movies. Try your library. I can get a lot of movies for free. They don't have everything but good enough for me and the Wife.

Have you ever tried a kid's movie from the library?  It makes you hate other parents.

Seriously - how could you even deliberately scratch up a disc that badly without snapping it in two?
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 05:55:50 PM »
Steaming is a bad deal compared to what? Creating your own DVD library? I used to have one of those about after moving it a few times realized I hadn't watched 97% of the DVD's I owned since the last time I moved and gave them all away. For me the saving of space is more important than being able to watch something I've already seen anytime I want. With our cable service DVR and my netflix can watch most of what I want any time or if I have to order a DVD on netflix and wait a few days can do that too. That said I still do have a few DVD's I've gotten over the past few years but it's more about family giving me stuff for xmas and running out of ideas. There are very few DVD's I'd buy any more.

Sorry. Compared to my own pattern of renting discs by mail from NetFlix. I almost never buy discs. I think I own 4 movies, maybe. If I really like a movie, I'll rent it again a few years later. Maybe four times in the last ten years I liked a movie enough to watch it a second time before returning it. I do own a growing stack of nature videos, which I watch while jogging or walking on the treadmill, so I watch them multiple times. I've watched the first BBC Planet Earth a bunch of times. After the first time, I watch it with the sound off and I listen to music. So the nature videos are worth owning.

A person who pays for 3-at-a-time but only watches one movie a week would find it more economical to stream the rentals. But they'd still have the issue of quality.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 06:14:28 PM »
If you don't mind waiting for first run movies. Try your library. I can get a lot of movies for free. They don't have everything but good enough for me and the Wife.

Have you ever tried a kid's movie from the library?  It makes you hate other parents.

Seriously - how could you even deliberately scratch up a disc that badly without snapping it in two?

I completely miss read that. I thought Andrew was talking about availability not damage.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2017, 04:03:18 AM »
As someone who has worked in a library, I assumed it was about the damage. And a PSA on that; make sure to let them know that it isn't working. They might not be able to fix it or have the resources to replace it, but at least it can help keep more people from being annoyed with taking the same broken disc home.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2017, 07:12:51 AM »
I remember this "Rainbow Brite" VHS that tragically, quite tragically, broke after a few thousand repetitions. You can't do that with streaming.

The kid's a grandmother by now.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2017, 07:14:30 AM »
As someone who has worked in a library, I assumed it was about the damage. And a PSA on that; make sure to let them know that it isn't working. They might not be able to fix it or have the resources to replace it, but at least it can help keep more people from being annoyed with taking the same broken disc home.
And scratches can often be buffed out with the right equipment. The local video stores here do that all the time. With their volume tossing a disk is a very last resort.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2017, 08:57:59 AM »

The kid's a grandmother by now.

Why should that stop you? I think somebody should buy Scott Pruitt the complete collection of Captain Planet  ;D
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain
personate-rain