Author Topic: My Fantasy Novel  (Read 1465 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Re: My Fantasy Novel
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 09:17:20 AM »
Are the chapters short because Patreon is truncating them, or because in this early draft you have not yet filled them out yet? Or because Patreon puts limits on the length of posts?
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 09:57:46 PM »
Are the chapters short because Patreon is truncating them, or because in this early draft you have not yet filled them out yet? Or because Patreon puts limits on the length of posts?
The chapters are short because they are short. I don't understand the question.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2017, 08:46:44 AM »

Okay. The question was because they just seemed really incomplete to me. And perhaps because I'm used to book chapters being longer and more fleshed out. They seemed to me more like outlines than finished work. Thus I asked.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2017, 10:53:23 PM »

Okay. The question was because they just seemed really incomplete to me. And perhaps because I'm used to book chapters being longer and more fleshed out. They seemed to me more like outlines than finished work. Thus I asked.

Well, like I said, we're only about 5 minutes into the story. They'll get fleshed out as the story progresses.

But on the other hand, yeah, they're first drafts. Actually they're second drafts, but regardless they're in no way finished. In this week's blog post (for paying patrons) I outline much of how the long-term story going to work.

Also, there are chapters in some of the Song of Ice and Fire books that are barely a page long.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 08:01:12 AM »
Finally read it.  Two suggestions.  The first is to go over some of the wording.  You use bearing twice in the same sentence for example.  Just another go through before publication and all.  The other is consistency of voice for internal monologue and tense.  The distinction between narration and a character's thoughts should be more clear at times, as it's third person narration that seems tied to a particular person's view.

Very good, "What's going on, oh that's not what I expected..." situational opening.  It's okay that I feel lost and have my assumptions as I read completely overturned because that's the same view as the main character.  On a kindle, but will back when on a pc later today or tomorrow.
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2017, 11:58:39 PM »
Yeah, as I said this isn't the final draft - those language errors will be sorted out over time.

I thought about putting characters' internal monologues in italics, but that's a very overdone trope in my opinion.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2017, 10:08:58 AM »
Yeah, as I said this isn't the final draft - those language errors will be sorted out over time.

I thought about putting characters' internal monologues in italics, but that's a very overdone trope in my opinion.

Don't be afraid to use some tropes.  If you eschew all tropes you leave no touchstones for the reader.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2017, 11:27:08 AM »
Third person for narrative voice, first person for thoughts could help.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2017, 07:24:14 PM »

Don't be afraid to use some tropes.  If you eschew all tropes you leave no touchstones for the reader.

My specific stated purpose is to highlight and play with some standard fantasy tropes (spoiler: there's a dragon later), but there's a difference between a trope of the genre and a trope of the writing style. I want to avoid writing-style tropes as much as I can because I don't want to be seen as derivative of other authors.

Says the guy who just cited GRRM as a justification for short chapters...  ::)

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2017, 05:39:01 AM »
Bump for self reference.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2017, 07:05:09 PM »
I forgot to make my weekly post yesterday. I'll be doing that today before I go out.

In other news, after a month-long dry spell, I've got the inspiration for the next bit of the story. Remembering of course that the chapters on Patreon lag many chapters behind what's actually written.

personate-rain
personate-rain