Author Topic: Atlanta is completely boned  (Read 941 times)

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
Atlanta is completely boned
« on: March 31, 2017, 11:07:16 PM »
You may have heard about our I-85 fire and bridge collapse yesterday. Traffic was already horrid (second worst in the country) but this is going to take several months to repair. its not a little thing, its tragic we are in a state of emergency!  It concerns me and makes me realize just how fragile our infrastructure really is.  There is no way to foresee this kind of thing happening and no way to plan for it if it does. Its going to take an extra hour or more  to get anywhere during rush hour for the next 4-5 months.  (it already took an hour or more to get across town during rush hour, now its doubled)

I love this guy

at least some of us have a sense of humor about it

I-75: "I'm totally going to wreck Atlanta traffic when the Braves stadium opens."
I-85: "Hold my beer."

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
Re: Atlanta is completely boned
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 11:15:54 PM »
I think this is my favorite (its how they "fix" potholes in Atl)

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 11:28:55 PM »
Oh, dang:

Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 11:34:31 PM »
They arrested 3 homeless people for starting the fire

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/31/us/atlanta-interstate-85-fire-collapse/index.html

there is video of the fire in the link

Three people were arrested Friday in connection with a huge fire that caused part of an elevated interstate running through Atlanta to collapse, the Atlanta Fire Rescue Department said.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 11:37:07 PM »
I personally think the pictures and video are fake, this is just Obama trying to make God-Emperor Trump look bad.

/PVC can't melt concrete, duh
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 11:45:29 PM »

Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 11:49:58 PM »
I personally think the pictures and video are fake, this is just Obama trying to make God-Emperor Trump look bad.

/PVC can't melt concrete, duh

well he did just give us $10 mil in aid pretty fast.

Would you believe there are actually deniers with similar comments to your joke popping up regarding the cause.

Offline NEKSkeptic

• Banned
  • Well Established
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 12:14:26 AM »
It's awful, for sure, but I'm not sure that I would also categorize it as an emergency.  But my sympathy is definitely with you. 

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 01:41:49 AM »
It's awful, for sure, but I'm not sure that I would also categorize it as an emergency.  But my sympathy is definitely with you.

It has been categorized as an emergency from our Governor, why wouldn't you?  Aside from your average commuter being delayed it will also effect emergency vehicles. It really is a crippling location for Atlanta, this is no average highway, 5 lanes in either direction that stay full all day long and no way to route traffic around the problem efficiently.

edit: Logistical problem with shipping as well.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 01:46:31 AM by Simon Jester »

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 03:07:29 AM »
I do wonder if something was stored under the bridge beyond that piping . . . .Something more flammable while buring extremely hot.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 06:42:24 AM »
Clearly God is punishing Gaylanta for their fabulous ways.
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline NEKSkeptic

• Banned
  • Well Established
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 08:02:12 AM »

It has been categorized as an emergency from our Governor, why wouldn't you?  Aside from your average commuter being delayed it will also effect emergency vehicles. It really is a crippling location for Atlanta, this is no average highway, 5 lanes in either direction that stay full all day long and no way to route traffic around the problem efficiently.

The governor categorized it as an emergency for political reasons.  This involves mechanisms for funding, etc.  It's awful, for sure, but I just don't categorize this as a true emergency.   All of your concerns involve delay.  If goods and services can't get through at all, then I would agree that it's an emergency.  Other cities have weathered this same thing.  They made out fine, albeit with significant inconvenience.   

But with most semantic concerns, there is room for differing opinions.  I don't begrudge your categorization for that reason. 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 08:04:56 AM by NEKSkeptic »

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 08:24:20 AM »
Sorry to hear about this. I'm glad nobody was hurt. Severe traffic congestion is one of the reasons (among many) that I could not stand to live in a big city. And the lack of traffic in Downtown Spokane was one of the reasons (among many) that I chose to move here. I met someone who commuted two hours each way on a daily basis, and I know that plenty of people commute an hour each way. I cannot fathom such a lifestyle. I had to leave North Dakota because of the cold (after living there for about a quarter of a century) but I still miss the open, uncongested roads.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 10:27:36 AM »

The governor categorized it as an emergency for political reasons.  This involves mechanisms for funding, etc.  It's awful, for sure, but I just don't categorize this as a true emergency.   All of your concerns involve delay.  If goods and services can't get through at all, then I would agree that it's an emergency.  Other cities have weathered this same thing.  They made out fine, albeit with significant inconvenience.   

But with most semantic concerns, there is room for differing opinions.  I don't begrudge your categorization for that reason.

I totally disagree and think your underestimating how damaging traffic can be to a city. It's bad enough when predicted but the fact that this just happened makes it much harder to deal with. Given the definition below thinks current situation in Atlanta is exactly an emergency.

emergency
NOUN

1A serious, unexpected, and often dangerous situation requiring immediate action.
‘personal alarms for use in an emergency’

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/emergency

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2017, 01:44:42 PM »
Why not MARTA?
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.