Author Topic: Walking question  (Read 892 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Walking question
« on: April 01, 2017, 03:04:25 PM »
Yesterday, I worked security at a store for six hours. I walked around for most of it and stood around for the rest. No chance to sit down. I have often hiked for similar amounts of times and usually hurt less afterwards.

Is there a reason why my legs hurt more walking around a store? Is it due to concrete vs earth, a shorter and less natural stride, have no chance to sit down as I would while hiking, etc?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Re: Walking question
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 04:13:28 PM »
Just my opinion:

Standing is more stressful than walking. Walking keeps the circulation moving. Concrete is indeed worse than dirt. Also, being out in nature is more nourishing to the mind. Fresh air vs. indoor air might be an issue as well.

One summer I was having issues with my hip. Standing on the deck at the hiking lodge while waiting for the guide to be ready made the hip hurt. (The guides had chores to do after breakfast, so were never ready before us, and often the benches would be wet from dew or rain overnight, so I could not sit down.) Once we got out on the trail the hip pain cleared up and mostly was okay during the hiking. So I think that standing is more stressful than walking, even though walking is more work.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 06:20:37 PM »
Concrete has absolutely no give; I always find it more painful to stand or walk on than any other surface.  Even asphalt is significantly less stress on the feet and knees, in my experience.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 06:36:34 PM »
When I finally got to bed this morning, I was afraid I would wake up with severe leg cramps.
Luckily, it did not happen.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 07:29:20 PM »
Concrete has absolutely no give; I always find it more painful to stand or walk on than any other surface.  Even asphalt is significantly less stress on the feet and knees, in my experience.

I hear this a lot but I'm not convinced.  You  could probably look up some hardness measurement to show concrete is harder than asphalt, but asphalt doesn't really"give" enough to make a difference I'd think.  I wonder if it's some other property of concrete that makes it hard to run on.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 07:57:37 PM »
It will also depend on temperature.  There is a significant difference between the hardness of asphalt at 80°F vs. 0°F.  It's my understanding that at very cold temperatures asphalt is actually *harder* than concrete.  Concrete's hardness does not change significantoy at typical outdoor temperatures.

But it is not merely the hardness that's a factor.  Asphalt surfaces tend to be thinner and, in my experience, are therefore more flexible.

I understand that there is not a measurable difference in injury rates or severity between the two surfaces, but my experience is that my feet hurt much more walking on concrete.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 09:19:41 PM »
I think its likely more to do with not being able to sit and having to find a compromise of comfort and respectability in your stance when not walking.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 10:42:55 PM »
I think its likely more to do with not being able to sit and having to find a compromise of comfort and respectability in your stance when not walking.

I probably walked 4 to 4.5 hours total out of the shift.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 05:41:07 AM »
Concrete sucks and you might need to wear footwear that isn't the best for standing around and limited walking.  I spend five or six hours a day, three days working on concrete floors, but I have the discretion to walk around a lot a do a lot of different physical movements. and I wear trainers or approach shoes with orthotics... I get away with it, but if the job was eight hours five or six days a week, my feet would not be happy.
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 02:55:35 PM »
Concrete sucks and you might need to wear footwear that isn't the best for standing around and limited walking.  I spend five or six hours a day, three days working on concrete floors, but I have the discretion to walk around a lot a do a lot of different physical movements. and I wear trainers or approach shoes with orthotics... I get away with it, but if the job was eight hours five or six days a week, my feet would not be happy.

I actually was wearing my diabetic shoes when I was working.

One difference is when I am hiking, I usually have something distracting me as well but instead I was trying to in effect take my brain out of gear.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 03:08:24 PM »
I say a combination of walking on concrete and standing rather than walking or sitting.   Back when I was a security guard, the worst job was the retail outlet with a similar situation but I wasn't allowed to stand still very long. 

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 03:52:31 PM »
... I actually was wearing my diabetic shoes when I was working.

I have this picture in my mind of you injecting insulin into your shoes.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 12:35:12 PM »
Standing on concrete is awful, that's why commercial kitchens have fatigue mats at all the workstations, cashier stations have them too. It's an OSHA requirement.

(Well for now, it is a requirement. Tomorrow it will just be some needless anti-business regulation)

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 04:05:04 PM »
I spike to another coworker who had the same issue so it does not appear to be me at least.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 09:39:47 PM »
I walked for a total of three hours today and have no issues with my legs hurting.
An hour was on asphalt and wooden piers 
About two hours were on asphalt and gravel roads
— Robert G. Ingersoll