Author Topic: S-Town (read only when you're done all 7 eps)  (Read 1957 times)

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
Re: S-Town (read only when you're done all 7 eps)
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2017, 06:48:14 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4392106/The-photos-podcast-S-Town-John-B-McLemore.html
interesting to see the photos of the people and places.
The maze is really cool.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2017, 07:56:50 PM »
The first four episodes or so were brilliant.  They drew you in, and from the very beginning I was more interested in John than in the supposed murder. But I agree that it started to slow down toward the end, and I found the ending rather abrupt. I was sure my feed was broken and there was at least one more episode.

I was really impressed by how non-judgmental Brian Reed was.  He let the people involved be themselves, with all of their flaws, and reminded me that people are not caricatures.  I'm afraid I've become a little jaded in the Trump era, and it's been easy to think of certain demographics as "to blame"; I think I kind of needed this reminder about now.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2017, 02:22:06 AM »
The first four episodes or so were brilliant.  They drew you in, and from the very beginning I was more interested in John than in the supposed murder. But I agree that it started to slow down toward the end, and I found the ending rather abrupt. I was sure my feed was broken and there was at least one more episode.

I was really impressed by how non-judgmental Brian Reed was.  He let the people involved be themselves, with all of their flaws, and reminded me that people are not caricatures.  I'm afraid I've become a little jaded in the Trump era, and it's been easy to think of certain demographics as "to blame"; I think I kind of needed this reminder about now.

I don't disagree with your overall impressions, but my takeaway was that people are people, but I still vehemently disagree with some people's worldviews.  To the point where I am not sure I could ever find common ground.  John B was seemingly very intelligent, well spoken for the most part, and shared many of my core values.  Yet he still befriended racists, and may even have demonstrated blatant racist and sexist attitudes himself.  I don't ever see myself freely exchanging ideas with those that freely espouse such views.  I don't see that we will ever find common ground.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2017, 07:55:49 AM »
I think it's complicated. I'd like to think that I wouldn't hang out with racists but these guys appear to be helping John in other ways as well. If I found myself in John's situation, can I really say for sure I'd isolate myself and/or move away from the town I grew up in? And, well, if you're white then racists can be nice people to you.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2017, 09:00:33 AM »
How racist you are sometimes depends on who you hang out with. I like to think I'm a pretty non-racist person but after 5 years in Korea, surrounded by a culture that rank orders people constantly in terms of their race, the local racism creeps into your way of thinking. It's a constant battle. All people are X is a very comfortable way of thinking.

S-Town I think ultimately says "people are complicated, multi layered, the version they show you is a product of a lot of back and forth."
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2017, 03:23:07 PM »
Real Crime Profile just did an episode talking about S-Town... podcasts about other podcasts... that's meta, right?

Anyway, they discussed possible crimes, whether John was murdered, whether he really had money stashed somewhere, endorphin highs from getting pierced and tattooed, etc.

Also, the personality profile of a smart but manic semi-closeted gay conspiracy theorist.

https://art19.com/shows/real-crime-profile-wondery/episodes/10a9a445-b85d-4ee0-b49f-251b65f657db
Amend and resubmit.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2017, 12:30:08 PM »
Real Crime Profile just did an episode talking about S-Town... podcasts about other podcasts... that's meta, right?

Anyway, they discussed possible crimes, whether John was murdered, whether he really had money stashed somewhere, endorphin highs from getting pierced and tattooed, etc.

Also, the personality profile of a smart but manic semi-closeted gay conspiracy theorist.

https://art19.com/shows/real-crime-profile-wondery/episodes/10a9a445-b85d-4ee0-b49f-251b65f657db

Real Crime Profile continues profiling on the latest episode.  Their perspective is eye-opening.  They do not go easy on John B.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2017, 12:00:47 AM »
I found the Real Crine Profile people very judgmental.  We're talking about a person with serious mental health issues, whose behavior hurt those around him, sure, but who was also very much in pain himself.  They made gestures to his mental illness, but seemed not even to consider the possibility that it diminished his responsibility for his actions.  I was horrified by their lack of compassion, to be honest; and it sickens me to think that people with such attitudes may be just the kind of person who is attracted to a career in law enforcement or as a prosecutor. *

It was Brian Green's non-judgmental approach even when faced with people whose beliefs and actions he did not approve of or sometimes even understand which drew me into the podcast and which I found so moving.  This was exactly the opposite, and I found it rather disgusting.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

personate-rain