Author Topic: Big little lies  (Read 342 times)

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
Big little lies
« on: April 03, 2017, 12:28:12 PM »
We finished it last night. I liked it, cast was amazing and sprinkled in just enough humor to keep things going. Typically from the youngest daughter to always called her mom "woman". The young girl also had a much more sophisticated musical taste for a first grader but dug it. A nice little character quirkiness in an otherwise depressing murder mystery. Anyone else watch it?

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
Re: Big little lies
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 01:59:09 PM »
Tried. Failed.

The thing which pissed me off the most about it, was the super lazy writing with the murder hook. Literally everyone in the show knows who died and they simply don't tell the audience to create an air of mystery. After that big annoyance it wasn't good enough IMO to hold my interest as it just made me angry at how poor the storytelling was. Reese Witherspoon though should probably win an award for this, she was incredible and the only character who didn't ring false notes and stereotypes all over the place.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 03:12:37 PM »
Really, I'm kind of surprised, I thought it was pretty good and has gotten a lot of positive reviews. Yes the used the trick, but thought they used it well enough to not make me hate it.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 10:55:19 AM »
We finished it last night. I liked it, cast was amazing and sprinkled in just enough humor to keep things going. Typically from the youngest daughter to always called her mom "woman". The young girl also had a much more sophisticated musical taste for a first grader but dug it. A nice little character quirkiness in an otherwise depressing murder mystery. Anyone else watch it?

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1471-how-does-the-first-grader-on-big-little-lies-have-such-killer-music-taste/

Tried. Failed.

The thing which pissed me off the most about it, was the super lazy writing with the murder hook. Literally everyone in the show knows who died and they simply don't tell the audience to create an air of mystery. After that big annoyance it wasn't good enough IMO to hold my interest as it just made me angry at how poor the storytelling was. Reese Witherspoon though should probably win an award for this, she was incredible and the only character who didn't ring false notes and stereotypes all over the place.

I get your annoyance, but that was the quirk of the show. Red herrings all over the place. It's also a purposely exaggerated play on California high society. That's part of the reason for the sterotypic characters. If that annoys you, fine, but that's the goal of the writing, so that doesn't make it weak.

Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to disagree with it. The ladies in Big Little Lies are mostly just entitled.

If I had a major philosophical annoyance with the show it was dissipated by the finale:
(click to show/hide)

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 01:17:41 PM »
Meh. I didn't think the stereotypes made it weak, but the hook was undeniably lazy writing. I'm probably more bothered by lazy writing than most people, and I certainly don't think it makes anyone who likes it any less of a person.  ;D
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

personate-rain