Author Topic: some thoughts on cultural appropriation  (Read 35799 times)

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: some thoughts on cultural appropriation
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2017, 11:13:17 AM »
I think a simple question that would clear up a lot for me is basically, is cultural appropriation always bad, albeit occasionally leads to something we generally consider positive despite it's origins (e. g. rock and roll)? 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 11:26:32 AM by superdave »
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2017, 11:25:02 AM »
I would say that cultural appropriation always, by definition, has negative consequences.  Cultural exchange does not.  And both may be present at the same time.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2017, 11:30:44 AM »
I think a simple question that would clear up a lot for me is basically, is cultural appropriation always bad, albeit occasionally leads to something we generally consider positive despite it's origins (e. g. rock and roll)?

watch the video I posted! it's super clarifying.
I've got to go.  Have you got a clock?  I'm meant to be helping save the Universe.

Offline 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2017, 11:32:49 AM »
in the hair example...wouldn't the ideal outcome be to encourage a culture where both women can feel comfortable with whatever hair they want?
A promising solution, but then we'd have to put aside identity politics and give up the righteous glow that comes with fighting for marginal cultures against shameless borrowers of ancient ideas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

It must be so nice to be so removed from issues of sexism/classism/racism to have the luxury of derision of those trying to make things more fair for everyone.
You can call it fairness if you like. Looks like shaming to me.

I absolutely was shaming you for being derisive and dismissive (i.e. shaming) of people who are trying to make things more fair. You started it, don't dish it out if you can't take it.
I've got to go.  Have you got a clock?  I'm meant to be helping save the Universe.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2017, 11:33:44 AM »
Waaaah... I'm an unsufferable troll who somehow thinks mocking people by putting words in their mouth makes for a good argument.

I agree.
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2017, 11:45:36 AM »
Waaaah... I'm an unsufferable troll who somehow thinks mocking people by putting words in their mouth makes for a good argument.

I agree.
It does describe you very, very well... I wish I'd come up with those words.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline D4M10N

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2017, 11:55:19 AM »
in the hair example...wouldn't the ideal outcome be to encourage a culture where both women can feel comfortable with whatever hair they want?
A promising solution, but then we'd have to put aside identity politics and give up the righteous glow that comes with fighting for marginal cultures against shameless borrowers of ancient ideas.

It must be so nice to be so removed from issues of sexism/classism/racism to have the luxury of derision of those trying to make things more fair for everyone.

I absolutely was shaming you for being derisive and dismissive (i.e. shaming) of people who are trying to make things more fair. You started it, don't dish it out if you can't take it.
You've yet to show how the world would be more fair (or better in any way) if we choose to shame people for adopting good ideas from other cultures.

Offline 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2017, 12:19:54 PM »

You've yet to show how the world would be more fair (or better in any way) if we choose to shame people for adopting good ideas from other cultures.

You clearly didn't click on the link I posted, nor did you watch the video, nor did you carefully read anything I wrote. I can't account for you not paying very good attention.

Offline D4M10N

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2017, 12:22:08 PM »

You clearly didn't click on the link I posted, nor did you watch the video, nor did you carefully read anything I wrote. I can't account for you not paying very good attention.
What is your single best example of unfair cultural appropriation? Dreadlocks on insufficiently colored people?

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2017, 12:25:12 PM »

What is your single best example of unfair cultural appropriation? Dreadlocks on insufficiently colored people?

Howabout you watch the video and share your thoughts?
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline D4M10N

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2017, 12:28:48 PM »

Middle-class urban-dwelling bandwidth privilege, rearing its ugly head.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2017, 12:30:13 PM »

The shit that Lula gets into in the middle of Act 2 is obviously not "real" in that this is all made up but it's based on truth:

http://faculty.atu.edu/cbrucker/Engl2013/texts/Dutchman.pdf
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2017, 12:32:38 PM »

Middle-class urban-dwelling bandwidth privilege, rearing its ugly head.

If you turn off your Google alert for "cultural appropriation" it might free up some bandwidth.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2017, 12:56:28 PM »
Good thing the Phoenicians didn't keep the alphabet to themselves.

Exactly.

"Cultural appropriation" is a brainchild of the American far left that the rest of the world can safely ignore. The very concept presumes an extremely unhistorical view of what cultures are and how the evolve over time.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline D4M10N

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2017, 01:02:24 PM »

The shit that Lula gets into in the middle of Act 2 is obviously not "real" in that this is all made up but it's based on truth:

http://faculty.atu.edu/cbrucker/Engl2013/texts/Dutchman.pdf

The part where she improvises the blues, dances about the train car, and calls Clay an Uncle Tom?

p.s. Thanks for the link, enjoyable if disturbing reading.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 02:03:43 PM by D4M10N »

personate-rain