Author Topic: some thoughts on cultural appropriation  (Read 90376 times)

Offline NEKSkeptic

• Banned
  • Well Established
Re: some thoughts on cultural appropriation
« Reply #165 on: April 06, 2017, 08:08:58 PM »
The existence of cultural exchange does not make appropriation a good thing.

That's quite the blanket statement.  Can't it make it a good thing?  If we assume that harm is on a spectrum, can't the benefits of cultural exchange outweigh the harm on occasion?

Offline D4M10N

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #166 on: April 06, 2017, 08:26:20 PM »
Appropriation is bad by definition (at this point, people are going to have to go google the definition for themselves), but the two things are close.
Its important to stress that cultural exchange is not what is being objected to.
As I asked earlier, how confident are we that experts would reliably sort specific examples into one bin or the other in the same way?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #167 on: April 06, 2017, 10:38:06 PM »

That's quite the blanket statement.  Can't it make it a good thing?  If we assume that harm is on a spectrum, can't the benefits of cultural exchange outweigh the harm on occasion?
Seriously, dude, SkeptiQueer explained the "spectrum" in literally the post right before yours. There's simple ignorance and then there's just being willfully dense so you don't have to think too hard.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #168 on: April 07, 2017, 12:21:15 AM »

Seriously, dude, SkeptiQueer explained the "spectrum" in literally the post right before yours. There's simple ignorance and then there's just being willfully dense so you don't have to think too hard.

Non-sassy answer: hypothetically, yes, a given instance of appropriation may result in more good than bad.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #169 on: April 07, 2017, 12:25:33 AM »
No no no. We're getting into definitions territory here. Cultural "appropriation" is defined as harmful. If it isn't harmful, it isn't appropriation.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #170 on: April 07, 2017, 03:19:18 AM »
No no no. We're getting into definitions territory here. Cultural "appropriation" is defined as harmful. If it isn't harmful, it isn't appropriation.

The words "cultural" and "appropriation" mean specific things. When "appropriation" modifies "cultural," it means another thing--a thing which may or not be harmful.

I don't agree with using "cultural appropriation" to only mean harmful appropriation, because it makes the meaning ambiguous. If you'd like to refer to "harmful cultural appropriation," I think you should refer to it as such, or invent a new term to refer to it if it so pleases you--but we can't assume that the literal definitions of the words do or should change at the whim of a (well-intentioned) cultural movement.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #171 on: April 07, 2017, 03:31:48 AM »

The words "cultural" and "appropriation" mean specific things. When "appropriation" modifies "cultural," it means another thing--a thing which may or not be harmful.

I don't agree with using "cultural appropriation" to only mean harmful appropriation, because it makes the meaning ambiguous. If you'd like to refer to "harmful cultural appropriation," I think you should refer to it as such, or invent a new term to refer to it if it so pleases you--but we can't assume that the literal definitions of the words do or should change at the whim of a (well-intentioned) cultural movement.

To "appropriate" means to "steal."  So "cultural appropriation" literally means to steal another's culture.  When you steal something, you deprive its owners' of it.  Thus the notion of "cultural appropriation" is problematic for two reasons: (1) People with a particular cultural background don't own the aspects of their culture, and (2) adopting, with or without modification, any aspects of their culture does not deprive them of those aspects.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #172 on: April 07, 2017, 03:42:15 AM »

To "appropriate" means to "steal."

Citation, please?

Dictionary.com:

verb (used with object), appropriated, appropriating.
to set apart, authorize, or legislate for some specific purpose or use:
The legislature appropriated funds for the university.
to take to or for oneself; take possession of.
to take without permission or consent; seize; expropriate:
He appropriated the trust funds for himself.
to steal, especially to commit petty theft.

Merriam-webster:

transitive verb
:  to take exclusive possession of :  annex No one should appropriate a common benefit.
:  to set apart for or assign to a particular purpose or use appropriate money for a research program
:  to take or make use of without authority or right natural habitats that have been appropriated for human use

Oxoford:

VERB

[WITH OBJECT]
Pronunciation /əˈprəʊprɪeɪt/
1Take (something) for one's own use, typically without the owner's permission.
‘the accused had appropriated the property’
More example sentencesSynonyms
2Devote (money or assets) to a special purpose.

So, by any reasonable definition, it's more like "uses without permission."

Can we agree there?

Offline NEKSkeptic

• Banned
  • Well Established
« Reply #173 on: April 07, 2017, 06:24:30 AM »

Non-sassy answer: hypothetically, yes, a given instance of appropriation may result in more good than bad.

Thank you for your respectful response. 

Offline NEKSkeptic

• Banned
  • Well Established
« Reply #174 on: April 07, 2017, 07:27:16 AM »
When you steal something, you deprive its owners' of it. 

Culture is now a finite resource?

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #175 on: April 07, 2017, 10:06:51 AM »

Do you also object to defining murder as unlawful killing?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #176 on: April 07, 2017, 10:08:39 AM »

To "appropriate" means to "steal."  So "cultural appropriation" literally means to steal another's culture.  When you steal something, you deprive its owners' of it.  Thus the notion of "cultural appropriation" is problematic for two reasons: (1) People with a particular cultural background don't own the aspects of their culture, and (2) adopting, with or without modification, any aspects of their culture does not deprive them of those aspects.
This definition means there's no pr9blems with software piracy or plagiarism.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline D4M10N

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #177 on: April 07, 2017, 11:46:06 AM »

A telling comparison. Homicide is generally assumed to be unjustified (and terribly harmful) unless some adequate justification can be shown to exist. If you admit to killing someone, you'd better have a damn good explanation. If you admit to borrowing ideas from another culture...?

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #178 on: April 07, 2017, 12:03:41 PM »

A telling comparison. Homicide is generally assumed to be unjustified (and terribly harmful) unless some adequate justification can be shown to exist. If you admit to killing someone, you'd better have a damn good explanation. If you admit to borrowing ideas from another culture...?

But as has been explained, that is not the entirety of what cultural appropriation *is*. Seriously, it's very hard to not be snarky with you because it really, really looks like you're doing this on purpose.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #179 on: April 07, 2017, 12:06:40 PM »

To "appropriate" means to "steal."

Citation, please?

Dictionary.com:

verb (used with object), appropriated, appropriating.
to set apart, authorize, or legislate for some specific purpose or use:
The legislature appropriated funds for the university.
to take to or for oneself; take possession of.
to take without permission or consent; seize; expropriate:
He appropriated the trust funds for himself.
to steal, especially to commit petty theft.

Merriam-webster:

transitive verb
:  to take exclusive possession of :  annex No one should appropriate a common benefit.
:  to set apart for or assign to a particular purpose or use appropriate money for a research program
:  to take or make use of without authority or right natural habitats that have been appropriated for human use

Oxoford:

VERB

[WITH OBJECT]
Pronunciation /əˈprəʊprɪeɪt/
1Take (something) for one's own use, typically without the owner's permission.
‘the accused had appropriated the property’
More example sentencesSynonyms
2Devote (money or assets) to a special purpose.

So, by any reasonable definition, it's more like "uses without permission."

Can we agree there?

Nope.  Not until you can read and comprehend your own citations.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

personate-rain