Author Topic: some thoughts on cultural appropriation  (Read 90152 times)

Offline NEKSkeptic

• Banned
  • Well Established
Re: some thoughts on cultural appropriation
« Reply #390 on: April 11, 2017, 03:24:16 PM »
Dodged a bullet here:

photo upload

Offline nameofthewave

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #391 on: April 11, 2017, 03:29:02 PM »
Ah, that old canard."My black friend said I could use the N word, so checkmate libs!"

Ah, the old "some of my best friends are black" counter-counter. Of course you could always contend that there is a diversity of opinion on this matter that doesn't necessarily fall along privileged/non privileged lines.

Offline NEKSkeptic

• Banned
  • Well Established
« Reply #392 on: April 11, 2017, 03:30:51 PM »
Of course you could always contend that there is a diversity of opinion on this matter that doesn't necessarily fall along privileged/non privileged lines.

That would be a well reasoned response.

Offline D4M10N

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #393 on: April 11, 2017, 03:35:34 PM »
I'm pretty sure Algonquian peoples were killing each other with stone-bladed tomahawks long before the British showed up and introduced metalworking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Offline NEKSkeptic

• Banned
  • Well Established
« Reply #394 on: April 11, 2017, 03:42:22 PM »
I'm pretty sure Algonquian peoples were killing each other with stone-bladed tomahawks long before the British showed up and introduced metalworking.

Uh oh.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #395 on: April 11, 2017, 04:43:42 PM »

When or more different cultures invented the same thing independently, then we need to go back with the archeological record to see which group invented it first, then use genetic sequencing to find out what modern ethnic group most closely resembles that precursor, and make sure that nobody else is allowed to use that invention without proper attribution.  History isn't public domain, it's creative commons!
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #396 on: April 11, 2017, 04:59:52 PM »
I'd like to introduce the term convergent engineering, but unfortunately there is a company with that name.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #397 on: April 11, 2017, 05:36:23 PM »
All right, dudebros, have fun with your right-wing circle-jerk, this thread is dead.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline NEKSkeptic

• Banned
  • Well Established
« Reply #398 on: April 11, 2017, 05:38:54 PM »
All right, dudebros, have fun with your right-wing circle-jerk, this thread is dead.

Well then it must be so!

Offline D4M10N

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #399 on: April 11, 2017, 05:39:20 PM »
It was mostly just taking ideas from other threads anyhow.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #400 on: April 11, 2017, 05:57:59 PM »
Actually if the folks who refuse to discuss this issue with anybody of a certain race who disagree with them have all left, maybe a conversation can finally take place.

Can anybody think of any examples of cultural appropriation in which you feel members of not-that-culture shouldn't participate?

Clearly, you can be a jerk about anything--and I think CA boils down to trying to be open and aware to ideas and offenses, but with no ethical imperative to cease or avoid an action based on it meeting the definition for CA.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline D4M10N

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #401 on: April 11, 2017, 06:12:34 PM »

Can anybody think of any examples of cultural appropriation in which you feel members of not-that-culture shouldn't participate?

NWA cover bands.

Offline 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
« Reply #402 on: April 11, 2017, 06:12:47 PM »

When or more different cultures invented the same thing independently, then we need to go back with the archeological record to see which group invented it first, then use genetic sequencing to find out what modern ethnic group most closely resembles that precursor, and make sure that nobody else is allowed to use that invention without proper attribution.  History isn't public domain, it's creative commons!

This is a deliberate misunderstanding of the definition of cultural appropriation.
I've got to go.  Have you got a clock?  I'm meant to be helping save the Universe.

Offline 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
« Reply #403 on: April 11, 2017, 06:14:22 PM »
Actually if the folks who refuse to discuss this issue with anybody of a certain race who disagree with them have all left, maybe a conversation can finally take place.

Clearly, you can be a jerk about anything--and I think CA boils down to trying to be open and aware to ideas and offenses, but with no ethical imperative to cease or avoid an action based on it meeting the definition for CA.

Before anyone goes on, I highly recommend watching this to understand what cultural appropriation really is.

I'm gonna repost this, because I think this answers some of the questions that have been asked. Wearing your hair in braids/cornrows/locs is a something that shouldn't be done by anyone except for black folks. But if you are invited to participate in someone else's culture (i.e. going to an Indian wedding) by all means, participate.

I'm gonna say that the rule of thumb is don't do anything that you can get away with because you are white but that other folks can't do even though it's their own culture because of the color of their skin. All these comments about the history of something not being usable in other cultures are missing the huge point of why cultural appropriation is a problem.

PLEASE WATCH THAT VIDEO.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 06:16:47 PM by 6EQUJ5 »
I've got to go.  Have you got a clock?  I'm meant to be helping save the Universe.

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #404 on: April 11, 2017, 06:22:34 PM »

Nobody has refused to discuss anything with anyone because of their race. Explicitly the opposite.
HIISSSSSSSS

personate-rain