Author Topic: some thoughts on cultural appropriation  (Read 93807 times)

Offline NEKSkeptic

• Banned
  • Well Established
Re: some thoughts on cultural appropriation
« Reply #435 on: April 12, 2017, 12:55:34 PM »

Sure, but the nuance of "sometimes people get mad about the wrong thigns" isn't what's presentwd. Instead it's "anything other than focusing on the working class is a distraction" and the anti-feminist/anti-SJW armies descending to prove that it doesn't exist through a series of strawman arguments, false equivalence, and general dickbaggery.

Anti-feminist?  Wow, you really are determined to check every box in your invocation of ad hominems.

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #436 on: April 12, 2017, 01:18:17 PM »
As a white European male is it wrong for me to wear a Shemagh when I am out camping? I love them for the neck and head cover along with dealing with sweat.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #437 on: April 12, 2017, 01:39:28 PM »

Sure, but the nuance of "sometimes people get mad about the wrong thigns" isn't what's presentwd. Instead it's "anything other than focusing on the working class is a distraction" and the anti-feminist/anti-SJW armies descending to prove that it doesn't exist through a series of strawman arguments, false equivalence, and general dickbaggery.

Anti-feminist?  Wow, you really are determined to check every box in your invocation of ad hominems.
Observing that there are antifeminists and anti-feminist virtue signalling in this thread is not an ad hom. At least learn your logical fallacies.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline D4M10N

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #438 on: April 12, 2017, 02:24:37 PM »
If feminism is simply advocating for sociopolitical equality for women, calling someone antifeminist is basically accusing them of being a male supremacist. Bit much, given the content of the thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Offline NEKSkeptic

• Banned
  • Well Established
« Reply #439 on: April 12, 2017, 02:37:35 PM »

Observing that there are antifeminists and anti-feminist virtue signalling in this thread is not an ad hom. At least learn your logical fallacies.
Now you are just making things up. 

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #440 on: April 12, 2017, 02:45:43 PM »

Presented by who?

I think a lot of the problem is that you want to argue against narratives you've seen elsewhere, with folks here whose arguments have to be stretched mighty thin to match. Then people push back and forth for pages and pages about who meant what.

What puzzles me is why you keep going it of your way to make sure you explain that you don't support or agree with something nobody asked you to support.

Comes with having my posts mischaracterized for years here; I try to guess what a few of the most likely mischaracterizations would be and nip them in the bud. However it comes off, it's been very effective at preventing "well obviously here's what you mean" type responses, and hopefully it's improved my own communication skills and clarity.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #441 on: April 12, 2017, 02:50:28 PM »

Presented by who?

I think a lot of the problem is that you want to argue against narratives you've seen elsewhere, with folks here whose arguments have to be stretched mighty thin to match. Then people push back and forth for pages and pages about who meant what.

What puzzles me is why you keep going it of your way to make sure you explain that you don't support or agree with something nobody asked you to support.

Comes with having my posts mischaracterized for years here; I try to guess what a few of the most likely mischaracterizations would be and nip them in the bud. However it comes off, it's been very effective at preventing "well obviously here's what you mean" type responses, and hopefully it's improved my own communication skills and clarity.

Presented by the people who aren't madly scrambling to dismiss the concepts of social justice.

I haven't addressesed anything that wasn't  this thread. I've shown you twice where you've contradicted yourself and claimed things were happening in this thread that were. You claimed people werw being dismissed based on their race despite explicitly asking ans having the opposite explicitly stated to you, quoting your post. Call me crazy but I'm not going to take your word for it.

If you want to tell me I'm trying to drag in stuff not in this thread than show me, and for the love of godmake sure you've read the thread before you try to tell me that a picture of Anita Sarkeesian isn't anti-SJW/anti-feminist virtue signalling, or that there aren't two posters in this thread who have argued against feminism (by way of the 'but third wave...' canard) on this forum.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline NEKSkeptic

• Banned
  • Well Established
« Reply #442 on: April 12, 2017, 03:03:53 PM »

Presented by the people who aren't madly scrambling to dismiss the concepts of social justice.
Can you not comprehend that your concept of social justice may not be the only acceptable concept?

Offline D4M10N

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #443 on: April 12, 2017, 03:12:02 PM »
I suppose a photo of a widely-known white feminist with prominent hoop earrings isn't relevant to a thread about cultural appropriation? My bad.

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #444 on: April 12, 2017, 03:13:25 PM »

Can you not comprehend that your concept of social justice may not be the only acceptable concept?

So not rational, logically consistent, just, compassionate, ethical, moral, but what's important is that they be acceptable.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #445 on: April 12, 2017, 03:14:46 PM »
I suppose a photo of a widely-known white feminist with prominent hoop earrings isn't relevant to a thread about cultural appropriation? My bad.

No, it wasn't relevant to anything at hand. Few "Checkmark, Feminists!" posts are.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Redamare

• Deleted
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #446 on: April 12, 2017, 03:26:57 PM »
The important thing is that you're having so much fun reducing the people you haven't persuaded into gibbering drooling stereotypes.
"redamare has kicked this thread's ass" -champagnej

Certainty is the enemy of wisdom.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

Offline D4M10N

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #447 on: April 12, 2017, 03:55:56 PM »
I think it is a fairly salient question whether white feminists (especially highly visible activists) who wear hoop earrings need to take them off, for the sake of publicly upholding the values espoused by those concerned with intersectionality. If the Latinx Student Union cannot persuade an outspoken and dedicated feminist to take off her hoops, they shouldn't expect to persuade many others.

One might even say it is a good test case to suss out what the competing values are here. What is the upside of confining white folks to the use of "white culture" assuming that is really a thing? Is there a downside, perhaps reinforcing the idea (popular among the alt-right) that whiteness should be set apart from any other cultural milieu?

« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 04:23:01 PM by D4M10N »

Offline NEKSkeptic

• Banned
  • Well Established
« Reply #448 on: April 12, 2017, 04:03:04 PM »

So not rational, logically consistent, just, compassionate, ethical, moral, but what's important is that they be acceptable.

"Acceptable" implied those things, silly person.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 04:05:16 PM by NEKSkeptic »

Offline NEKSkeptic

• Banned
  • Well Established
« Reply #449 on: April 12, 2017, 04:04:03 PM »

Not according to the thought police.  Oh, no. 

personate-rain