Author Topic: some thoughts on cultural appropriation  (Read 90177 times)

Offline D4M10N

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: some thoughts on cultural appropriation
« Reply #1680 on: October 24, 2018, 12:09:34 PM »

White people and white societies are, and have been, actively repressing black hairstyles. That is why white people should not steal them.

Sounds like you want to punish the white folks who love black culture for the actions taken by other white folks who hate it.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #1681 on: October 24, 2018, 12:23:49 PM »
Sounds like you want to punish the white folks who love black culture for the actions taken by other white folks who hate it.

White people: simultaneously repressing black culture and also consuming it.

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #1682 on: October 24, 2018, 12:30:28 PM »

Like someone saying " hey nice jacket" then pulling out a gun and taking it. Two things can be true at the same time.

Offline D4M10N

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #1683 on: October 24, 2018, 12:31:09 PM »

White people: Not a monolith but rather a (fuzzily defined) collection of individuals, with widely varying goals and values.

Offline D4M10N

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #1684 on: October 24, 2018, 12:31:49 PM »

Like someone saying " hey nice jacket" then pulling out a gun and taking it. Two things can be true at the same time.
Yeah, it's just like that.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1685 on: October 24, 2018, 12:32:34 PM »
White people and white societies are, and have been, actively repressing black hairstyles. That is why white people should not steal them.

You can't "steal" a hairstyle, as a white person having a "black hairstyle" (whatever that means) doesn't make black people lose their ability to have it. It's not like there is a limited supply of a specific hairstyle.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #1686 on: October 24, 2018, 12:47:31 PM »

Yeah, it's just like that.

Glad we agree, whatever image or emoji you've link is not working.

Offline stands2reason

« Reply #1687 on: October 24, 2018, 12:55:19 PM »

White people: Not a monolith but rather a (fuzzily defined) collection of individuals, with widely varying goals and values.

I thought that was kind of the joke. How can someone be anti-racist and also make sweeping generalizations about a race (actually, several races combined under a single label). And more importantly, why do they want to do it? Apparently, because their political narrative needs a bogeyman, based on a racial stereotype no less.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 01:07:33 PM by stands2reason »

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #1688 on: October 24, 2018, 01:05:29 PM »

I thought that was kind of the joke. How can someone be anti-racist and also make sweeping generalizations about a race (actually, several races combined under a single label). And more importantly, why do they want to do it? Apparently, because their story needs a bogeyman, based on a racial stereotype no less.
So "white people in dreadlocks are racists" suddenly means all white people are racists? I keep repeating that culture is not a monolith, and people are just ignoring what I say to cherry-pick the part they want to make fun of. And then they call themselves skeptics.

A white person taking a typically black hairstyle just because they think it's cool and they don't give a shit about what it represents is cultural appropriation. Cultural appropriation is inherently racist; it is a symptom of systemic racism. This is why they are discussed in tandem.

You know, I'm genuinely saddened to see imbecilic remarks like this on a sceptics site. Why should white dreadlocks be any more offensive than black people straightening their hair?

Idiot.
They are both problematic, they are both the result of racism, which has been repeated ad nauseam in this very thread a hundred times.

The level of willful ignorance and disingenuous grandstanding on this topic is just astounding.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #1689 on: October 24, 2018, 01:13:27 PM »

White people can express their love for culture without stealing from it (well, most of the times they can't, but they should be able to, theoretically). It is about them being decent people, not about punishment.

Their hair type isn't even compatible with the hairstyles they are appropriating.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #1690 on: October 24, 2018, 01:14:02 PM »
There really ought be a requirement of harm.
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline RGU

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #1691 on: October 24, 2018, 01:22:03 PM »
So "white people in dreadlocks are racists" suddenly means all white people are racists? I keep repeating that culture is not a monolith, and people are just ignoring what I say to cherry-pick the part they want to make fun of. And then they call themselves skeptics.
No, but why is anyone wearing dreads, in your eyes, racist?
That is the problem with CA, most people haven't a damn clue as to why a person has, wears, or does what they do without speaking to them directly, but does that doesn't seem important to people who want to claim CA.
Are these people racist?
https://www.vice.com/en_nz/article/evbjz7/we-asked-white-people-with-dreadlocks-why

Offline RGU

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #1692 on: October 24, 2018, 01:24:33 PM »
Their hair type isn't even compatible with the hairstyles they are appropriating.

Because all white people have straight hair, right?

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1693 on: October 24, 2018, 01:26:12 PM »

White people can express their love for culture without stealing from it (well, most of the times they can't, but they should be able to, theoretically). It is about them being decent people, not about punishment.

Or people could simply be left alone to manage their own business. A white person having a "black hairstyle" doesn't prevent a black person for having that hairstyle.

This sort of discussion is beyond ridiculous.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline stands2reason

« Reply #1694 on: October 24, 2018, 01:35:50 PM »
And then they call themselves skeptics.

Dems fighting words. Not really, because my post wasn't directed at you.

How do we reach l the conclusion that someone who is wearing a hairstyle from another culture is doing it for malicious reasons? So far, that has only been done by invoking the racial stereotype that white people are bigoted. Obviously, this is circular reasoning, since it starts with the premise that white people are bigoted, in order to conclude that CA [by white people] qualifies as bigotry.

personate-rain