Author Topic: No Cash Accepted.  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: No Cash Accepted.
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2017, 11:00:22 AM »
Money is the way we keep score.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2017, 11:23:01 AM »
Can't remember where I heard this, but there are typically more germs and other filth on money than on your kitchen floor or even your toilet bowl. I remember eating in little one-person food stalls in the mercados in Mexico: The proprietor/cook/dishwasher would put on gloves before accepting your money.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2017, 12:28:03 PM »
Because we don't clean our money. Or flush them.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2017, 12:31:58 PM »
Because we don't clean our money. Or flush them.
I've retrieved many a perfectly fine bill from the laundry.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2017, 12:34:17 PM »
meh, a little dirt don't hurt :P I try and always have some walking around cash and agree with others about not liking the idea of having to pay third party for payment. That said I do have an amazon card and a hotel points card that I use regularly. I try and be strategic frugal cheap about what I use.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2017, 01:05:16 PM »
meh, a little dirt don't hurt ...

How about some e. coli, some typhus, some slobber, a little cocaine, and some dog poop? Dirt is clean. That other stuff, not so much. That said, I do use money. There are times I'd rather pay cash. Especially for tips, so the person I'm tipping can decide for themselves whether or not to declare it, and at merchants I don't trust. (I believe in paying taxes. But gifts are not taxed, and IMO tips are a gift. So I let them decide.)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2017, 01:16:09 PM »
Can't remember where I heard this, but there are typically more germs and other filth on money than on your kitchen floor or even your toilet bowl. I remember eating in little one-person food stalls in the mercados in Mexico: The proprietor/cook/dishwasher would put on gloves before accepting your money.
Don't forget about stripper leg sweat (among other fluids) I once knew an entertainer who could pick bills up with her... Well you get the picture.

I used to pay for groceries and other items with $1 bills. Usually smelling like perfume. Cashers would often refuse to take them if they were not faced which I think is bullshit. Face them yourself. It's not my problem. I can still count down 100s of bills faster than the average person but I only carry plastic now that I'm out of the business.

I think refusal to accept cash is a handicap. Too many people (especially the poor) only deal in cash.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

β€œDon't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2017, 01:21:55 PM »
The gold thing is a strange fetish. Of the criteria I mentioned earlier, it fails the test of a stable, predictable value. The value has historically generally gone up, but so has land and other commodities. And it has had some awful falls as well.  And of course, the transaction costs are huge as a percentage for most ordinary people. This is why it is such a popular ad sponsor on Fox News. You can make a lot of money in transaction costs off suckers with no risk.

This is the "bigger fool" theory of investing, where I am betting there is a bigger fool than I when I am ready to sell.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2017, 01:27:10 PM »
Land actually hasn't increased in price by all that much historically. In the past 20 years, yes (although much of that was wiped away in 2008) but the 100 years prior? Not really at all. In fact, IIRC prior to 1990ish land prices in the US increased at a rate less than inflation. There were localized pockets where it did better but then there were localized pockets where it was worse, and people never say "investment in real estate in places that will be big in 20 years is always a good deal", they just leave it at real estate.

I mean, that's not an argument for "investing" in gold either, but as I am not an economist I'm not going to argue that.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2017, 01:58:06 PM »
Land is a local thing. In Iowa, farmland prices have done very well until recently and now some speculators are taking a bath. When so much corn and soybeans hit the market that prices crashed, it became obvious that the price exceeded the productive value and was totally dependent on speculative value.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2017, 02:20:20 PM »
Land is a local thing. In Iowa, farmland prices have done very well until recently and now some speculators are taking a bath. When so much corn and soybeans hit the market that prices crashed, it became obvious that the price exceeded the productive value and was totally dependent on speculative value.

I get farm newsletters from our ag management firm.  It's quite interesting to watch economically, like the stock exchange.
Farmland value depends on the Corn Suitability Rating (CSR), and how far away you are from the buyers.  You'll recognize these county names.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2017, 03:08:37 PM »
The gold thing is a strange fetish. Of the criteria I mentioned earlier, it fails the test of a stable, predictable value. The value has historically generally gone up, but so has land and other commodities. And it has had some awful falls as well.  And of course, the transaction costs are huge as a percentage for most ordinary people. This is why it is such a popular ad sponsor on Fox News. You can make a lot of money in transaction costs off suckers with no risk.

This is the "bigger fool" theory of investing, where I am betting there is a bigger fool than I when I am ready to sell.
Gold is portable, maleable, easily transported (in comparison to things like slaves or plantations, etc. Neil Tyson explains this in the new Cosmos series, IIRC.

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2017, 03:11:28 PM »

Gold is portable, maleable, easily transported (in comparison to things like slaves or plantations, etc. Neil Tyson explains this in the new Cosmos series, IIRC.

Slaves can transport themselves however
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
β€” Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2017, 03:17:51 PM »

And rebel.

Should we put AI in money?

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2017, 03:23:41 PM »

One bag of gold on a horse doesn't need more feed than the horse. Moving twenty slaves any distance requires food for them and the guards as well as shelter for the guards at least. (The slaves were worth more than the guards in many cases...) And a bag of gold is easier to conceal.

personate-rain
personate-rain