Author Topic: Episode #613  (Read 2434 times)

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Off to a Start
Re: Episode #613
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2017, 02:25:35 PM »
The ad-free version isn't showing up on the website for me. Anyone else having this issue?

Me too.  Ad free version isn't showing up in my podcast player.
:'(

It's there now.

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2017, 07:24:34 PM »
1) It's called a combination wrench.

2) Wrap tape sticky side out on your finger to get a nut in position in hard-to-reach spaces.

3) My mom would have told Steve that "consensus of opinion" is redundant.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 08:27:23 AM »
1) It's called a combination wrench.

Yes.  And the part of that combination wrench that he called a "ratchet" is called a box-end wrench, as opposed to the open-end wrench on the other side.  I suppose it's possible that they bought a ratcheting box-end wrench, but I doubt it.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2017, 09:27:48 AM »
Clearly not tool people.

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Offline gebobs

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2017, 11:10:14 AM »
Regarding the Oklahoma earthquakes, the going hypothesis is, as the Rogues said, due to injection of wastewater. But that has nothing to do with fracking, at least not directly so.

https://earthquakes.ok.gov/faqs/

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2017, 12:55:08 PM »
  I suppose it's possible that they bought a ratcheting box-end wrench, but I doubt it.

Especially doubtful for tiny little nuts like they were talking about, since the ratcheting mechanism makes the end bigger than a box.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline lunaOU

• Brand New
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2017, 03:01:25 PM »
So happy Steve came to OK, so sad I missed it.  The state economy is horrible, and sadly our education system is suffering terribly (and we're already ranked 48th or 49th, depending on the year).  I was surprised when you mentioned our vast climate change denial that you didn't mention our fearless leader (besides god fearing) Sen. Inhofe, leader extraordinaire of climate change denialism.  I know he's came up in your show, and after meeting Oklahomans, you can understand his denialism a little better.  Also, nice of you to say we have a beautiful state.  The eastern side is a little more hilly/less flat.

Offline gebobs

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2017, 03:13:33 PM »
Jim Inhofe aka Senator Snowball  ;D

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2017, 04:54:16 PM »
Good luck-- I've written e-mails in the past, and never heard anything back. I get that they are too busy to respond-- I just would have loved a "got your e-mail, thanks for listening"-type response.

I once wrote them an email when I was having a membership issue and I got a prompt reply which solved my issue. And another time I emailed them with a question about diet & metabolism and got a personal reply from Steve. When they solicited questions for a special show I sent an email and heard nothing from them. So I'm 2 out of 3 on getting replies.

Regarding the TM study - the "square root of 1%", assuming the study authors truly think there is something special about base 10, is actually 10%, which would mean we need 30 million people to engage in TM.  Instead the authors appeared to take the square root of the raw number of people that is 1% of the population of the United States right now.  This means as the population grows or shrinks, the proportion needed to engage in TM will change.  Because we all know that mystical forces in the universe refuse to scale linearly.

You've nailed it.  I actually wondered whether it's possible to derive a square root of 3 million people.  What's the square root of a person?  The square root of 9 square metres (area) is 3 metres (length).  So the square root of 3 million people would have to be around 1,700 square root of person, and I've never seen (can't even imagine) a square root of a person.

Get three million people to stand in a square formation, and count the number along the edge of one side.  ;)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2017, 05:08:10 PM »
Steve asked if anyone had been to Oklahoma. I was there once. Didn't get to see an awful lot because I was in the custody of the federal B.O.P. at the time. The inside of the El Reno, OK, prison was interesting, though.

On the subject of octopuses, I got to handle one once. It felt kind of sticky, but when it let go there was no sticky residue. The (slightly creepy) sticky feeling was the suction cups. This was at the marine center on Kodiak Island, Alaska. I happened to be the only one there after some other people left, and the docent invited me into the back to handle the big octopus in its own special aquarium, visible to regular visitors, but only accessible from the back. Apparently they really will escape if not locked in. If they can reach the latch they'll figure out how to open it.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2017, 07:42:53 PM »
Regarding the Oklahoma earthquakes, the going hypothesis is, as the Rogues said, due to injection of wastewater. But that has nothing to do with fracking, at least not directly so.

Yeah, what a surprise that when you inject water contaminated with lubricant between rock layers, you get rocks sliding against each other more often. Weird that.

Offline Bytor

• Brand New
  • A boring yet skeptical computer geek
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2017, 08:53:19 PM »
During the Whats That Noisy segment Evan mentioned about 3D printers doing music and I thought these links were relevant

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2017, 11:02:26 AM »

Well yes, in a technical sense. But it is wastewater from fossil fuel extraction (both oil and fracking).

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2017, 05:32:28 PM »
I thought the rogues were a bit off the mark on teleology, taking it into one of its poorer extensions. The word means, literally, "the study of the good end," so any choice you make, if made because you seek a certain outcome, is teleological. This is most of us, most of the time.

It is not that Darwin dismissed teleology, rather he dismissed a particular kind of teleology (religious ends), and embraced another one, in which the basic "good end" is simply to survive and reproduce. We are all mostly teleological decision-makers, trying to achieve our own definition of "good ends" as expeditiously as possible.

Especially when pressed for time and urgency, humans quickly throw out deontology (rules and duties), empathy, and meta-ethics (higher principles) and grasp at their best expectation of survival.

My favorite example is to think of the FIRST thought that comes into your head when you see a police car's flashing light in your rear-view mirror signaling for you to pull over. My bet is your FIRST reaction is "How can I get out of this mess as easily as possible?"

Most of the ruminations in the Syria conflict are most teleological, guessing what gets us to a good end (and what is that?) as expeditiously as possible. Obama's drone policy is another example. A few dead terrorists, and maybe a couple civilians, are a better end than sending soldiers into risky situations.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Online albator

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2017, 09:15:44 PM »
The word means, literally, "the study of the good end,"

No, it's not. And if you means the translation of roots; telos = the end, the goal, and logia = study. The only way, I could see, you get good in there is if you take the meaning "the study of the final end", and Aristote's notion that the final end of any human is "the good". There're maybe other but there's nothing literal about that.

It is not that Darwin dismissed teleology, rather he dismissed a particular kind of teleology (religious ends), and embraced another one, in which the basic "good end" is simply to survive and reproduce. We are all mostly teleological decision-makers, trying to achieve our own definition of "good ends" as expeditiously as possible.
Life has no final goal, not even survivng (in biology).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:53:02 PM by albator »

personate-rain