Author Topic: Episode #613  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Episode #613
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2017, 07:17:53 AM »
The citizen science project that Cara was trying to think of was "Whale FM", by the way, and it looks like it did finish up in 2015. I did find another one from the Whale FM page though that still appears to be running, which is "Bat Detective" where you identify bat noises.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline dreamlander

• Off to a Start
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2017, 12:46:16 AM »
If you were receiving a generic message like that, it'd probably be from a script.

Though I wonder what they're spending their SGU time on now, compared to some years ago. Sometimes they made comments about the forums multiple episodes in a row, and I think Steve said he went to the forums to look for topics/news.

I also wonder how much the data loss affected the forums, and the nature of them. That's the last thing I remember them commenting on (about the forums on the podcast), how much they screwed up by not properly backing up.

One of my favorite parts of podcasts is how they build and interact with fan communities. I haven't really felt that from the SGU recently. It seems like funny to have this huge community of enthusiastic fans on this forum, and not to engage with them at all. I contribute financially to several podcasts, including the SGU. I appreciate the work that the SGU does, but I'm definitely considering reallocating my listening time and financial contributions to podcasts that put a higher emphasis on interaction with listeners.

I feel the same. I have only been listening for two years, but when you go back and listen to all the episodes in order I feel like there is a noticeable drop off in effort in the last couple years. Maybe not. Might just be me, or that the bar was set higher when Perry and Rebecca were part of the show. I have canceled my paid subscription though. I just don't couldn't figure how I should give the SGU $8 a month for the similar amount of content that I get from a dozen other podcasts that don't get nearly as much money from me. Don't get me wrong, the SGU is still my favorite science podcast, but it did seem to be better in the past.

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2017, 04:32:06 AM »
I suspect that it's more of a shift in efforts, rather than a drop. But as someone who only listens to the podcast and checks the forums, I don't have a measure of their other efforts. Maybe they could do a segment on the podcast going over all the things they are involved in SGU-wise, and cross-promote themselves.

There's also the lawsuit that Steve and Jay seem to have spent a lot of time dealing with.

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2017, 04:52:37 PM »
I hope they do give us some kind of update. I've been contributing at $240 a year for a few years. The lack of interaction with fans and the change in energy on the show make it much harder for me to justify. I've also paid to be a member of NESS and sent them charitable contributions, but never got an acknowledgement back.

I'm going to wait another week or so to think it over before I stop paying for membership. Maybe (actually probably) the change in energy on the show is just me. Or maybe it is just a temporary thing while they are busy with other projects.

In any case, I'm grateful for the work of the SGU and the Rogues.

personate-rain
personate-rain