Author Topic: Squirrelly Touch-ID on iPhone SE  (Read 280 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Squirrelly Touch-ID on iPhone SE
« on: April 11, 2017, 09:36:31 PM »
I got my iPhone SE on Day 1, so I've had it a bit over a year. It's my first smartphone, and overall I quite like it. I got it because I decided it was finally time for me to upgrade from my old stupidphone, and I don't like big phones. I like a phone I can hold in one hand easily. The downside is that it's hard to type in passwords on the tiny screen, and in some apps, that has to be done in portrait mode, where the keyboard is even smaller.

So of course I programmed in my fingerprints. Both thumbs and both index fingers. And that worked fine, for a few weeks, until one by one, it lost the ability to recognize my fingers. When the last finger quit working, I deleted them all and re-programmed them, and it worked again for a few weeks. This repeated, and I figured it was no big deal, I can re-program my fingerprints once every 2 or 3 weeks if I need to. But then the time it took to lose my fingers got shorter and shorter, until they only lasted for a few days.

So I quit using fingerprint ID and just used my passcode, which really is not that much more trouble.

The other day I decided to take it in to the Apple store and see what they'd say. This morning I went in, after making an appointment a couple of days ago. They ran a diagnostic, told me I needed to update the OS. (The latest version of iOS is so recent that my phone had not yet prompted me to update.) They said the diagnostic showed no other issues, but that for $120, since it's out of warranty, they could replace the screen. What's the screen got to do it the fingerprint ID? It's all part of one unit. What's wrong with the unit? The diagnostic showed nothing, but if it's not software, then it's hardware. Of course, there's no guarantee it will work after I pay them $120 and live without a phone for the time the repair takes, because the diagnostic showed no problem with the hardware.

If it had still been under warranty, and they offered to replace the screen for free, I'm not sure I'd have taken them up on it, because I have no other phone. It's not that big a deal, because as I said, I can enter my passcode almost as easily as I can do the fingerprint. I'm just rather disappointed by the lack of information. I know a lot of folks have had issues with the fingerprint reader on this phone, but the tech didn't mention any of that. He could have said "Yes, this is a known issue, and the new screens have fixed it." But he said nothing of the sort. Just offered to replace the screen for $120 without giving me any reason why I should expect this to fix the problem.

I still like the phone. I still like Apple in general. I just think the tech could have been a bit more forthcoming about the cause of the problem and what Apple knows about it. Because I'm pretty damn sure they know about it, and either they know what the problem is and how to fix it, or they know about it and they have not been able to figure out what's causing it, or they know that it's just not an entirely reliable technology. Whichever of these things it is, they could have told me.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Squirrelly Touch-ID on iPhone SE
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 09:47:09 PM »
This is the second time you've made paranoid posts about how you think you're being deliberately cheated by unscrupulous technicians.  In both cases, they were just following their training exactly as they were taught to.  If Apple knows something about a defect in the fingerprint sensor, it hasn't leaked out, and it certainly isn't something they'd tell a lowly tech at your local Apple Store.  Forgive me, but you need to get a grip.

That aside, I do find that my fingerprints seem to drift over time.  After a couple of years with my 6 Plus it was starting to be very finicky.  I dropped my phone a few months ago and had the screen replaced, which solved the issue completely.  It took maybe half an hour to do while I went and had lunch.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 03:22:23 AM »
i've had a 6 for a while now and it hasn't had any trouble with any of my fingerprints. Not that this means anything, or is even terribly helpful, but there it is.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 02:23:39 PM »
i was under the impression that mom and pop shops will replace glass for under $100 and they can do it in less than 30 minutes while you wait. My girlfriend dropped her phone so we drove to a shop and were out less than an hour later. Don't recall how much it cost though.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 04:07:23 PM »
I'm not sure I'd want a non-OEM touch sensor.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 04:18:14 PM »
i was under the impression that mom and pop shops will replace glass for under $100 and they can do it in less than 30 minutes while you wait. My girlfriend dropped her phone so we drove to a shop and were out less than an hour later. Don't recall how much it cost though.

The glass would not be the issue. The "screen" apparently includes a lot of active components, including the touch sensor.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 05:40:40 PM »

The glass would not be the issue. The "screen" apparently includes a lot of active components, including the touch sensor.
oh ok, I thought it was part of the entire face thingy.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

personate-rain