Author Topic: Oh Henry's stuff  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Oh Henry

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Oh Henry's stuff
« on: April 11, 2017, 10:39:09 PM »
Been making an effort in the past couple of years to explore and follow creative interests without a goal or specific purpose in mind.  Here are some of the things I've tried.

Made a pinhole camera out of an old jewelry box.  Lined the inside with black paint and felt.  Built a stage that holds a roll of 400 film stretched between two spools.  Holes in the top allow dowels to drop in and turn the spools to advance the film and rewind when complete.  Drilled a hole in the front of the box for the opening.  Built a shutter out of a piece of wood that is held open or closed by small magnets.  The actual aperture is a pinhole in a piece of aluminum can that I affixed to the inside of the box.

edit: ditch photobucket

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:49:03 AM by Oh Henry »
"My father considered a walk among the mountains as the equivalent of churchgoing." ~ Aldous Huxley

Offline Oh Henry

Re: Oh Henry's stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 10:52:30 PM »
The smaller and "cleaner" the aperture, the better the picture.  I used the smallest needle I could find and just poked the tip through the aluminum.  I then lightly sanded the hole to remove the burrs.  Using a microscope, I was able confirm the aperture was round (as opposed to jagged).  Film is more forgiving (or less sensitive) than most people think.  On really bright days, I generally hold the exposure for ~30 seconds.  On cloudy days, I give it a minute.  I have done as short as 10 seconds and as along as 2 minutes.  Color seems to be a little richer/fuller on longer exposures, but honestly, comparing 20sec-2min, the results are very similar. 

First three images were part my initial test run.  Needed to learn how to aim it, but otherwise I was very happy with results. Expsore=~1 minute.
Next picture was a carousel that my kids were riding.  You can't see the horses or people because they "ghosted out" - as they continually moved through the image they were just a light blur.  Exposure=~2 mins (the length of the carousel ride).
Last image is a quicker shot of my kids playing in the river at Harper's Ferry, WV. Colors are a little flat.  Exposure=~20 seconds.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:55:14 AM by Oh Henry »
"My father considered a walk among the mountains as the equivalent of churchgoing." ~ Aldous Huxley

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 03:48:27 AM »
Retro-y!

Offline Oh Henry

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 07:36:15 AM »
It does remind me of the family photos I grew up with in the 70's.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 09:13:20 AM »
In the ;60s we had a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye camera. The pictures were ... adequate. I would have liked to have made one myself.

BTW, my last film camera was a Mamiya 645 1000S. The pictures were more than adequate.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 11:06:57 AM »
Hey, that's really cool! I especially like #2. Very artistic.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Oh Henry

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 09:53:12 PM »
Last year, my daughter (then 1st grade) created a comic/story book character named Superhero Octopus.  He fights pollution and other dastardly deeds with his side kick Sandy Seahorse.  Wicked Whale is one of the baddies.  We made linocuts of the characters - she drew, I carved.  I also made a fancy portrait of Sandy.

Both kids also made linocut Valentines and we printed about 24 of each for their class Valentine exchange.  That was a long afternoon.

edit: ditch photobucket links
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:36:07 AM by Oh Henry »

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 09:11:21 AM »
Very nice artwork. But why is the bad guy a whale? Whales are cool! I kayaked among whales in Maui, and they are definitely not bad guys.  :(  The bad guy should be a jelly. Some of those things can kill you, and most of them will make you scream in pain for a very long time. And they are nearly invisible in the water, so you don't even see them until it's too late.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Oh Henry

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 04:43:32 PM »
I'm sure even in the whale world there is a jerk or two.  And when your Mom names you Wicked Whale, I think the die has been cast.

Offline Oh Henry

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 07:01:47 PM »
When my brother-in-law graduated with his PhD in English/Creative Writing, I made a papercut design incorporating a stanza from one of his poems, which was inspired by Mt Etna during his travels in Sicily.  The work is, as they say, "a single sheet of paper with holes cut in it."  I made it in reverse on drafting vellum, inked the opposite side, then cut out the negative space with an exacto knife.

Three shots show initial concept, process of cutting the words, final piece in a floating frame.

Edit to add the words:
"When the volcano's shape darkens
from haze to shadow to obsidian &
pumice beach, I am more relieved
than I'd expected. The absoluteness
of its presence. The blackness &
sulpher & spit. The utter lack of
doubt."

edit: ditch photobucket links
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:40:48 AM by Oh Henry »

Offline Oh Henry

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 06:44:36 PM »
In 2016, my New Years Resolution was to do more art.  My daughter noted that I draw a lot in black/white and she wanted me to do more color.  So I grabbed some colored pencils and got to work.  Soon found that I love drawing birds, especially hummingbirds.

Male Rubythroat

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:41:51 AM by Oh Henry »

Offline Oh Henry

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 06:45:43 PM »
Flame throated Sunangel

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:42:42 AM by Oh Henry »

Offline Oh Henry

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 06:47:22 PM »
Green-crowned Brilliant

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:43:18 AM by Oh Henry »

Offline Oh Henry

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 06:49:15 PM »
Blue tit

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:43:58 AM by Oh Henry »

Offline Oh Henry

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 06:51:39 PM »
And finally,

Red breasted Nuthatch and Coleus

edit: ditch Photobucket
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:45:01 AM by Oh Henry »

personate-rain
personate-rain