Author Topic: What good, free firewalls and antivirus programs are there these days?  (Read 999 times)

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: What good, free firewalls and antivirus programs are there these days?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2017, 09:01:35 PM »
I don't understand. Was a test performed by clicking on "Proceed" and gave me a very bad result, or does it say the same whenever someone clicks "Proceed"?

Since I just got the same message on my Mac, I'm going to go with "it says the same whenever someone clicks "Proceed."

ETA: I just ran their tests on my IP. As expected, every port is stealthed except 22, which is forwarded to my server for remote SSH connections.  Password authentication is disabled on that port, and it is protected by a strong RSA certificate.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 09:17:32 PM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2017, 02:51:42 AM »
Avast is good.  So is Bitdefender.  As far as firewall, what do you hope to accomplish with a software firewall?  Aside from stealthing ports, which you can do with the built-in firewall on any modern OS, I find them pretty useless.

Linux/Unix does not have a built-in firewall.  Really, aren't all firewalls software? 

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2017, 08:29:03 AM »
Avast is good.  So is Bitdefender.  As far as firewall, what do you hope to accomplish with a software firewall?  Aside from stealthing ports, which you can do with the built-in firewall on any modern OS, I find them pretty useless.

Linux/Unix does not have a built-in firewall.

Nonsense.  Iptables is built into the Linux kernel.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 08:32:40 AM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2017, 08:34:09 AM »
most testing shows that the built in windows anti virus is mediocre at finding viruses, but it's great in one very important regard.  It updates with the built in windows update service.  So it's very good at keeping itself up to date, which is arguably the most important aspect of AV software.  I also find it is minimally intrusive. 

Another tip, create an admin only account and then set up your everyday account as a normal user and not an administrator. 
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2017, 09:07:38 AM »
Hold on while I evangelize to you for a moment:

https://elementary.io/

http://pcbsd.org/

Okay, I'm done.
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2017, 09:14:42 AM »
Hold on while I evangelize to you for a moment:

https://elementary.io/

http://pcbsd.org/

Okay, I'm done.

I almost pointed out in my last post that OpenBSD has pf built in.

Online jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2017, 10:02:00 PM »

Actually, iptables is just a command line utility; it's not part of the Linux kernel.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2017, 11:43:39 PM »

Actually, iptables is just a command line utility; it's not part of the Linux kernel.

That's a little pendantic, don't you think?  Netfilter is built into the kernel, and iptables is a utility created by the netfilter project to configure it. Together they form a complete Linux firewall and NAT system. You can't get much more integrated into an OS than netfilter/iptables.  Indeed, I've looked and can't find a single major distribution that doesn't include iptables (well, I guess Gentoo-based distros use their own iptables replacement).

But yes, if you think it's really significant, the configuration tool is not the bit built into the kernel.

None of which, of course, changes the fact that every major Linux distribution, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, CentOS, and every flavor of Unix anyone's likely to come across all do, in fact, come with built-in firewalls that will allow one to stealth ports.

Online jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2017, 12:36:09 AM »
None of which, of course, changes the fact that every major Linux distribution, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, CentOS, and every flavor of Unix anyone's likely to come across all do, in fact, come with built-in firewalls that will allow one to stealth ports.

I don't think ArchLinux does.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2017, 07:06:23 AM »

I don't think ArchLinux does.

I believe iptables is a dependency of base group. But, again, this is a pointless argument.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 07:11:27 AM by The Latinist »

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2017, 01:34:37 PM »
Is it worth getting a AV for my tablet?
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2017, 04:17:51 PM »
What kind of tablet?

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2017, 05:53:39 PM »
What kind of tablet?
Samsung SM-T800 Galaxy
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline ScepticalBadger

• Off to a Start
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2017, 05:55:46 PM »
I have been a systems design and integration engineer for 20 years.  I agree with many of the opinions given above.  You do get what you pay for, and the free ones will only give you very limited protection.
If you insist on free then:
AVGFree or Avast have both worked OK for me in the past.

I currently use Vipre on all my home PC's, which is good detection and minimal impact on resources.
MalwareBytes is good for cleaning an existing infection.  The scanner is probably pretty good to.
I did use the Avast paid version for a while but I had a compatibility issue which crashed one of my laptops repeatedly, so I moved to Vipre.

I agree with the sentiments that Mcaffee and Symantec are bloatware crap that will slow your PC to a crawl.  I would pay to not use them.
I know it is annoying to have to pay, but consider the work that is likely to be put into software you pay for will be greater than the free ones.  What are they getting out of giving it to you for free?  Probably some sort of profiling info they can sell. and it is a lot of work to keep the patterns up to date.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2017, 03:07:47 PM »
I went with Avast. Seems to work okay.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

personate-rain
personate-rain