Author Topic: An excuse to eat more Brussels sprouts. Whoopee!  (Read 207 times)

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
An excuse to eat more Brussels sprouts. Whoopee!
« on: April 15, 2017, 04:03:56 PM »
So a couple of months ago they put me on lisinopril for my blood pressure. Lisinopril raises your potassium so you're advised not to use salt substitutes containing potassium. The lisinopril made me cough violently, so they switched me to losartan, another potassium enhancer, but my cough didn't go away. So now they've switched me to hydrochlorothiazide, which is a potassium reducer. Which means I can eat all the brussels sprouts I like.

I love Brussels sprouts. Yum.

Violent coughing can also be caused by pertussis, and apparently there've been some cases here in Spokane. But I have none of the other symptoms of pertussis, and they did a chest x-ray to be thorough, and my lungs are healthy.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
Re: An excuse to eat more Brussels sprouts. Whoopee!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 05:13:52 PM »
Who needs to add salt to brussel sprouts?
(click to show/hide)

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Re: An excuse to eat more Brussels sprouts. Whoopee!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 06:49:15 PM »
Greens have potassium. On my new med I need to be sure to get enough potassium. Thus I can eat more Brussels sprouts. Salt has nothing to do with it, except that salt substitute containing potassium was forbidden on the other meds. Salt substitutes are often potassium chloride.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck