Author Topic: Sci-Fi story help  (Read 1953 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Sci-Fi story help
« on: April 19, 2017, 09:07:20 PM »
Staring this as a new thread where I may ask periodic ideas

Working on a science fiction story and this came up in my mind:
There are a few series that allow have armed civilian vessels. Good example is the Honor Harrington series where passenger liners carry the weaponry of a heavy cruiser. I believe the same s the case with the Starfire novels. There is also Star Wars which allows armed merchant vessels such as the Millennium Falcon. I don't believe Firefly though however allows such ships, considering them too dangerous.

I am working on a story where the main character are in a converted corvette which while stripped of some of its weaponry, it is still armed. For example, it has light anti-ship particle beams and it has missiles but no warheads on the missiles. The mass and velocity of a connecting missile would destroy any unprotected target. Warships do however have various protections, namely a gravity wall in front of the ship which bends particle beams and in most cases will shred missiles. Nukes try to penetrate the wall in order to damage the ship.

There are semi-lawless areas where a ship might need to be armed and sometimes they might want to visit more settled areas to get cargoes to carry to those more lawless areas. Those more settled areas would need some rules / laws on how they treat such vessels. I am sure some systems would simply not allow them to approach the system and maybe even shoot on sight in some extremely paranoid powers.

What are other options though? Thinking maybe a customs inspection that makes sure that they don't at least have any nukes on board? How close would they allow the ship to get to their world? I can also see that there would always be a risk as well with the visit of warships from other navies as well.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: Sci-Fi story help
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 10:54:56 PM »
You could have customs "seal" the weapons. If the seal is broken the ship is subject to confiscation. You don't have to explain how that's done any more than you would explain the individual steps required to get an automobile on the highway, people understand the concept of a "seal", truckers have numbered seals on their cargo containers, etc.

Customs would justify their jobs by making a thorough check of the ship and sealing any and all weapons found. (This could be put forth in a grumbled monologue by a crewman who has been to this system before.)

You could also have customs mount a "kill  switch" that disables the ship's drive if the vessel is suspected of being up to no good. Getting around that one would take a few pages of text.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 12:16:18 AM »
It occurs to me that the fact that a missile, even without a warhead, would cause massive amounts of devastation if fired from space. Sufficiently paranoid civilisations might not want them anywhere near their solar system. They'd probably have this customs check far out in space, which means that they've got that much more space to cover. They'd need to automate it.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 01:41:21 AM »
I have written some extensive rules. . . .

I just calculated and a missile hitting the target at or after drive burnout would strike with about 1559813.8 joules of energy or about 3.73 megatons of TNT. Missiles are not world killers. That is using the full mass of the missile and assuming that it loses half that mass, it would hit with about 1.8 megatons on energy.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 01:46:43 AM by Desert Fox »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 05:36:19 AM »

I just calculated and a missile hitting the target at or after drive burnout would strike with about 1559813.8 joules of energy or about 3.73 megatons of TNT.

Is that including gravitational acceleration, and potential gravitational slingshot? Most sci fi settings would make the calculation of a slingshot-assisted trajectory for a kinetic based weapon pretty trivial.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 06:15:24 AM »

I just calculated and a missile hitting the target at or after drive burnout would strike with about 1559813.8 joules of energy or about 3.73 megatons of TNT.

Is that including gravitational acceleration, and potential gravitational slingshot? Most sci fi settings would make the calculation of a slingshot-assisted trajectory for a kinetic based weapon pretty trivial.

No, that is assuming a launch from rest not from an already fast moving starship. Slingshotting probably will not add much though.  The issue is that starships are far more massive and already make world killer weapons. We have issues already today where airliners and truck boms can be devastating though.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 07:28:26 AM »
The issue is that starships are far more massive and already make world killer weapons.

True. Although I guess in some ways its a different concern than something that would be dealt with by customs, since only a very small proportion of attacks would come from suicide bombers (depending on the cultures in your setting) - crashing a starship would generally be an empty ship or unmanned drone (especially if technological advances in autopilot make suicide irrelevant to the practicality of the attack anyway) so piloted ships wouldnt generally be inspected with that suspicion, an inspection or other preventative measure against manned ships would be more targeted at onboard weapons.

Does bring up the point that with starships being so dangerous, youd expect an unmanned or unresponsive ship moving in local space to be approached with prejudice.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 07:54:57 AM »
I would think that an (apparently) unmanned spaceship would constitute an emergency until it was proven not to be a hazard.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 02:11:42 PM »
Merchant ships would almost certainly have beacons transmitting "Here I am." Not having a beacon active would likely be a serious issue.

Ships travel between systems through Wormholes and there is no actual FTL travel except using them. Most wormholes are mapped in such areas - there may be a freak one in a strange place which is unknown.

In major systems, there are almost certainly tracking satellites in position near the wormholes to track targets entering wormholes. A ship would get marked at that point and tracked at all times. If a ship came through a wormhole without a beacon, that would immediately set up a system wide alert.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 02:21:43 PM »
Merchant ships would almost certainly have beacons transmitting "Here I am." Not having a beacon active would likely be a serious issue. 
I would think they would have beacons that responded to a pre-arranged signal, not continuously. Only the Space Guard would have the key to make them respond. Otherwise pirates could find them easily. (Kimball Kinnison can't be everywhere, you know.)

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 02:26:03 PM »
I would think they would have beacons that responded to a pre-arranged signal, not continuously. Only the Space Guard would have the key to make them respond. Otherwise pirates could find them easily. (Kimball Kinnison can't be everywhere, you know.)

There is no unified space guard. . . .There are multi-system powers but there are also a number of independent systems as well.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 09:28:13 PM »

I just calculated and a missile hitting the target at or after drive burnout would strike with about 1559813.8 joules of energy or about 3.73 megatons of TNT. Missiles are not world killers. That is using the full mass of the missile and assuming that it loses half that mass, it would hit with about 1.8 megatons on energy.
That's still enough to take out a small city. And ships are likely to carry many such missiles.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 09:35:08 PM »

There is no unified space guard. . . .There are multi-system powers but there are also a number of independent systems as well.
Wasn't thinking Galactic Patrol, just a way to keep track of ships in-system.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 10:05:03 PM »
EMP lamprey ships.

They magnetically tap into the host ships computer system and monitors all weapons systems, if a weapons system is found to be activated without due permission and approval, an Electromagnetic pulse wave is generated by the lamprey ship, causing the host ships weapons systems to be disabled.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 10:09:16 PM »
Perhaps a Mutually assured destruction lock?

When the ship comes in range a designated satellite is assigned to aim at the ship, if the ship destroys any of the satellite stations on the planet, a deadmans switch is closed and the satellite destroys the attacking ship.

personate-rain