Author Topic: Sci-Fi story help  (Read 1957 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Sci-Fi story help
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 10:28:01 PM »
That's reactive, but I think a sufficiently paranoid planet would want something proactive as well.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 10:51:36 PM »
Alright, ready for some super sci-fi babble?

4-dimension quantum trackers.

A technology borrowed from an alien race, in order to track and warn about weapon above class 8 destruction potential (including nukes). These bizarre extraterrestrial computer systems are designed to travel the universe seeking class 8+ weapons, and locking onto them in the 4th dimension when they find them. This ensures ships without 4D access tech cannot detect or remove the tracker once it is attached. They tend to surround solar systems containing organic life or important territories and are able to search new ships that enter the solar system within hours of them entering. A receiver on nearby planets will be updated on all new nearby class 8+ weapons.

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2017, 04:45:44 AM »
I think that idea goes a little far.

One item, while I realize that it potentially violates physics, a ship going through a Wormhole loses almost all of its velocity and the ship's direction on entering the wormhole does not necessarily correlate with the direction exiting.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2017, 04:22:40 PM »
Ships tend to be on the small side in my universe with destroyers only being around 15 k metric tons in mass.

I am curious if such a vessel should use a customs boat or have to make a hard dock for customs inspection?

In comparison, the US Legend class coat guard cutter (frigate sized) has a special small boat ramp on the stern for launching small boats for boarding. One option I am thinking is a special customs destroyer which gives up a bit of firepower for carrying a couple of customs shuttles.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 04:25:31 PM by Desert Fox »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2017, 12:47:55 AM »
Question on star systems. . . .Do you think all star systems have a lot left over stuff from star formation? If a ship visits a red dwarf system, there will always be a fair amount of rocks. My understanding is that red dwarf stars did not form in early star formation so there would be some heavier elements at least. 
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2017, 12:54:38 AM »
I think that the universe is big and varied enough that the answer to this question is "if you want them to, sure".

I doubt anyone would complain.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2017, 01:25:46 AM »
I am attempting to model star systems as well as possible to what current understanding is.

Vast majority of star systems are red dwarf systems and ships have to spend a fair amount of time transiting such systems to get to another wormhole.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2017, 07:13:34 AM »
Question on star systems. . . .Do you think all star systems have a lot left over stuff from star formation? If a ship visits a red dwarf system, there will always be a fair amount of rocks. My understanding is that red dwarf stars did not form in early star formation so there would be some heavier elements at least.
Depends on the gravity well, I think. Betelgeuse may have sucked up everything around it already.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2017, 02:14:14 PM »
Depends on the gravity well, I think. Betelgeuse may have sucked up everything around it already.

High gravity stars likely to have little stuff in orbit?
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2017, 05:53:02 PM »

Whatever doesn't have the orbital velocity to stay away from the star would be pulled in. Bigger the star, the higher the velocity  would have to be.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2017, 05:55:07 PM »
I wonder then if Red Dwarfs would have the most "junk"
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2017, 06:00:23 PM »
Smaller star, small well. Anything not in that well would wander off.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2017, 06:02:36 PM »
Smaller star, small well. Anything not in that well would wander off.

Is there any modelling of debris around stars. . . .Interesting if there is a zone of mass likely to have planets or not.

I am sorry but when compared to the Sun, all the planets around it are basically debris.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2017, 06:15:03 PM »
Is there any modelling of debris around stars. . . .Interesting if there is a zone of mass likely to have planets or not.
It's rather simple. If a mass had the velocity to escape the well then it "moves on". I understand that there may be more planets that don't circle stars than ones that do. If it doesn't have the velocity maintain an orbit it falls into the star, eventually. The lucky ones find their orbit and pretty much stay there.
I am sorry but when compared to the Sun, all the planets around it are basically debris.
Yeah, either matter with orbital velocity from the original accretion cloud or things captured as they flirted with the star's well.

Fun thought: How many comet made only one dive at the sun? The ones that didn't achieve a long elliptical orbit either got flung out of the solar system permanently or dove into the start.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2017, 08:56:16 PM »

Technically, high mass. Everything has the same gravity.  ;D

And though I'm not an astrophysicist, I don't think this is correct. Higher mass stars will exert a gravitational influence over a larger area, but I don't think that the density of debris in that area would be any higher than the density of debris around a lower mass star.

Could be wrong about that, though.

This is why I write fantasy. I don't have to worry about getting details like this right.  :D

personate-rain