Author Topic: Sci-Fi story help  (Read 2221 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Sci-Fi story help
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2017, 09:57:40 PM »
Which is why a simple fusion battery in every device is much more reliable than having multiple interacting power distribution systems. :D

And it means that consoles are less likely to explode in showers of sparks when you get hit by a torpedo.

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2017, 11:45:00 PM »
Which is why a simple fusion battery in every device is much more reliable than having multiple interacting power distribution systems. :D

And it means that consoles are less likely to explode in showers of sparks when you get hit by a torpedo.

Only Star Trek has exploding consoles
Assuming that power systems need maintenance, every separate system will add to complexity.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2017, 02:20:34 AM »

Only Star Trek has exploding consoles
Assuming that power systems need maintenance, every separate system will add to complexity.
Yeah, it's a bit of a characteristic conceit of my future vision that power systems are as easy and simple to maintain as batteries, but virtually perpetual.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2017, 07:04:45 PM »
Faster than light travel in my science fiction is by jumping through wormholes which are form through some kind of gravity interaction with the stars and the rest of the universe.
They tend to form on a G2 class star somewhere around Pluto orbit or around 6 light hours out.
Smaller stars they form closer in while larger stars form further out.

Now what I am curious about is assume that a star is around 8 solar masses.
It has wormholes really far out as one might expect. Probably be something like 45 light hours out from the star.

An 8 solar mass star can go super nova and leaves a core of several solar masses behind.
This then becomes a neutron star.

What should I have happen with wormholes around the neutron star? I am not too worried about black holes because I believe that neutron stars are far more common.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2017, 08:24:42 PM »
I have a general writing question. When there is a conversation and a lot of one liners, (for example: Jack says, "the Earth is flat." Jane responds, "No it is not!") are you suppose to start a new paragraph whenever you switch speakers. That is what I remember being taught but in some novels, I don't see the authors doing that.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2017, 08:32:58 PM »
I'd say go for whichever feels like it flows better.

Then get a second opinion.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2017, 08:43:54 PM »
I have a general writing question. When there is a conversation and a lot of one liners, (for example: Jack says, "the Earth is flat." Jane responds, "No it is not!") are you suppose to start a new paragraph whenever you switch speakers. That is what I remember being taught but in some novels, I don't see the authors doing that.
Yes, when you switch speakers, you generally start a new paragraph. That's the rule.

Of course it's totally okay to break this rule when you have a dramatic and/or stylistic reason for doing so.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2017, 08:55:36 PM »
Yes, when you switch speakers, you generally start a new paragraph. That's the rule.

Of course it's totally okay to break this rule when you have a dramatic and/or stylistic reason for doing so.

OK, at least I remember right  :-[
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2017, 09:14:20 PM »

OK, at least I remember right  :-[
I firmly believe that English grammar and style exist for a very good reason - ease of reading. However, I originally came up with Rule 0 to refer to the rules of grammar.

Rule 0 states: all rules have exceptions, including this one.

It describes grammar, but it's also applicable to all other systems that have rules. :)

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2017, 10:16:49 PM »
Each speaker gets his own line. And once in a while throw in something to help us keep them straight, like:

Frank looked at Joe like he was an idea. Joe had to defend his idea.

For me, six lines tops without a helper like that.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

personate-rain