Author Topic: Sci-Fi story help  (Read 7367 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Sci-Fi story help
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2018, 10:12:15 AM »
True. My stuff won't be published while I'm alive, I don't want to argue with anyone.

I have published a number of characters on my website that I played in games. Situations where the character went through involved other characters played by other players. When I have created narratives involving them when I write up the character's background, I have gotten hell for not giving credit for them.

There are similar cases where somebody has the smallest germ of an idea in a game, I do all the work to actually describe it, and I get hell for not giving them credit. Luckily in the worst case, I was able to use most of the idea by a few minor changes, making the description completely different. Actually made them cooler. Went from coal black humanoids with multiple arms to coal black "Man o War." 

If there is something that I actually are able to publish, I want to make sure that nobody can claim I stole ideas from them.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2018, 10:20:59 AM »
Deadlines are always interesting. "In 240 hours, your weapons and equipment will shut off and anything sensitive will self-immolate. If you're not at rendezvous XYZ at hour 239, you're not coming back."

Are you familiar with the TV series Dark Matter?

Travel can take week normally and in this case months because they will be going through a "backdoor" (uncharted wormhole around a brown dwarf). There is going to be a lot of variability of the mission. As far as hardware, it will simply surplus gear from somebody else. Might be like a Dutch team equipped with surplus American gear.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • God Emeritus
  • Frequent Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2018, 09:48:44 AM »
Dutch dirty dozen in space? Yes, please! :D

As for your team's prison background, I think the key question is: do you want them to be decent people at heart? If they're genuine criminals let out on a vital do-or-die mission, it seems simple enough to whip up a reason it has to be them specifically. Maybe only one of 'em is completely essential, but he sets the condition that the others need to be involved as well.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2018, 10:20:10 AM »

As for your team's prison background, I think the key question is: do you want them to be decent people at heart? If they're genuine criminals let out on a vital do-or-die mission, it seems simple enough to whip up a reason it has to be them specifically. Maybe only one of 'em is completely essential, but he sets the condition that the others need to be involved as well.
Or the worst of the others has friends on the planet where the best one lives, and knows where his family is. Some secondary action there, a team sent to rescue the family and allow the good guy to make pragmatic decisions in life-or-death situations that affect the mission. The team could be lead by the good guy's brother, who has had a falling out with the good guy before he went to prison, etc.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2018, 10:14:06 PM »

I don't know if good is the right word but maybe redeemable might be a better word.
Dirty dozen cut to four to six, being lead by a former enemy soldier, being carried to the location by smugglers.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2018, 10:29:50 PM »

I don't know if good is the right word but maybe redeemable might be a better word.
Dirty dozen cut to four to six, being lead by a former enemy soldier, being carried to the location by smugglers.
Weapons in, helpless innocents out?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

personate-rain