Author Topic: Sci-Fi story help  (Read 10601 times)

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
Re: Sci-Fi story help
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2018, 05:46:46 PM »
Those are really interesting ideas!
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2018, 07:48:56 PM »
Mine were drawn from real life.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2018, 09:44:28 PM »
Mine were drawn from real life.
I suspected. Reality is usually stranger and more interesting than fiction.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2018, 10:10:43 PM »
Noisy, if I use situations really close to those, will you have a problem with stealing them?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2018, 06:05:15 AM »
Noisy, if I use situations really close to those, will you have a problem with stealing them?
No problem at all. I posted suggestions for your use. I used to post "stubs", interesting (to me anyway) bits of stories for people to consider. My small contribution to the field.  :)
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2018, 06:11:26 AM »
Here's another. Five PBRs going up a river. At an "oxbow" in the river all five are hit by RPGs from both banks simultaneously. One boat flips over. The one man still alive on that boat is trapped under it as the enemy hammers it with rifle fire. This turns out to be good for the survivor, he has air holes. The boat settles until he has about 3 inches between water and hull. He has to keep himself up against the hole to breath. The people on the bank keep randomly firing at the boat for two days. He waits a day after they stop and slithers out of the boat. There's a chunk of junk sticking out of the back of his right calf so he can't walk. He does the ~70 klicks back to base by swimming.

Just your basic bad day at work scenario.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2018, 10:47:47 PM »
Here's another. Five PBRs going up a river. At an "oxbow" in the river all five are hit by RPGs from both banks simultaneously. One boat flips over. The one man still alive on that boat is trapped under it as the enemy hammers it with rifle fire. This turns out to be good for the survivor, he has air holes. The boat settles until he has about 3 inches between water and hull. He has to keep himself up against the hole to breath. The people on the bank keep randomly firing at the boat for two days. He waits a day after they stop and slithers out of the boat. There's a chunk of junk sticking out of the back of his right calf so he can't walk. He does the ~70 klicks back to base by swimming.

Just your basic bad day at work scenario.

I am so ignorant of military matters that I read PBR as

One of my favourite parts of this site is learning about whole domains I didn't know I didn't know.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2018, 02:08:53 AM »
Just think of water-borne Harleys with machine guns and mortars.

And crazy people. Lots and lots of crazy people.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2018, 02:48:00 PM »
No problem at all. I posted suggestions for your use. I used to post "stubs", interesting (to me anyway) bits of stories for people to consider. My small contribution to the field.  :)

I guess what I am thinking about fielding could almost be considered a suicide squad although I don't see any need for neck bombs. They are light years and worm holes away so would not work. FTL communication in my universe is only through ships jumping across wormholes carrying messages. 
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2018, 08:28:13 PM »

I guess what I am thinking about fielding could almost be considered a suicide squad although I don't see any need for neck bombs. They are light years and worm holes away so would not work. FTL communication in my universe is only through ships jumping across wormholes carrying messages.
You might want to read The Mote In God's Eye, Niven and Pournelle did a good job on "tramlines".

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2018, 03:58:21 PM »
You might want to read The Mote In God's Eye, Niven and Pournelle did a good job on "tramlines".

I think I have the rules of my wormholes pretty much nailed down.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2018, 05:19:55 PM »

I think I have the rules of my wormholes pretty much nailed down.
Good to go then. Myself, I'll steal anything that ain't nailed down. That's what "Introduction" is for.  ;D

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2018, 05:32:53 PM »
Good to go then. Myself, I'll steal anything that ain't nailed down. That's what "Introduction" is for.  ;D

I may want to publish the thing someday and the more original the better.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2018, 03:09:26 AM »

Deadlines are always interesting. "In 240 hours, your weapons and equipment will shut off and anything sensitive will self-immolate. If you're not at rendezvous XYZ at hour 239, you're not coming back."

Are you familiar with the TV series Dark Matter?
HIISSSSSSSS

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2018, 04:51:04 AM »

I may want to publish the thing someday and the more original the better.
True. My stuff won't be published while I'm alive, I don't want to argue with anyone.

personate-rain