Author Topic: Who's manufacturing outrage now?  (Read 509 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
Who's manufacturing outrage now?
« on: April 20, 2017, 09:55:13 PM »
Headlines gone mad: how coverage of ANU's Eagle Rock controversy fed the outrage industry

Essentially, some women were sexually harassed at an event at the Australian National University while dancing to Daddy Cool's song Eagle Rock. Subsequently, the residential college at the university issued a statement saying that the song would no longer be played at official events.

The Fairfax media turned this into a scare headline, saying that the ANU had banned the song, citing it as a case of "political correctness gone mad".

Upon writing the articles, I was well aware that simply banning a song would do nothing to address the undercurrents of sexism and misogyny that oppress women in university colleges. My intention was not to have the song banned but instead to draw attention to the normalisation of pervasive sexist culture in universities; a culture that often robs women of their capacity to give consent. My other motive was simply to ensure that no other female would have the same experience as me.

However, when Fairfax publicised these events in their own articles, they did so using the sensationalist headline “ANU college bans song to stop male students dropping their pants”. Instantly, the experiences of myself, along with so many other women who have experienced sexual harassment at ANU, had been trivialised, reduced to no more than another example of the so-called nanny state and “political correctness gone mad”. This led to a bombardment of ridicule on social media, as well as by public figures, with both Miranda Devine and Mark Latham claiming that banning the song made ANU “like the Taliban”.

Sadly, using such misleading and incendiary headlines to create political correctness controversies is all too common in mainstream media.

Now, my question is this:

Is it really the political left that is manufacturing outrage?

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Who's manufacturing outrage now?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 10:26:29 PM »
Don't know the song or the details of the situation, but it seems to me that the associations these women might have with the song ought to be enough to justify at least hard thought before playing it again.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline D4M10N

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 10:30:01 PM »
It would be silly to suppose either the right or the left have cornered the market on outrage production.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 10:33:40 PM »
It would be silly to suppose either the right or the left have cornered the market on outrage production.

I never said they had. But that's not the point in any case.

Offline DG

• The Prophet
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 10:59:48 PM »
Whats the relationship between the song and getting your cock out?
I had no idea there was a culture of cocks out for daddy cool, but apparently that has been a thing for a long time. According to Wikipedia "The song is also the basis of a tradition practised among Australians for decades. Whenever the song is played at an event or a public bar, those present (particularly the males) congregate together on the dance floor where they unstrap their belts and hobble around singing the song with their trousers around their ankles."

"If you don't like the theory of evolution you should probably skip the practical".

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 02:00:24 AM »
No, I'm not aware of that "tradition" either, but I would point out that pants-down does not necessarily mean cocks out. No moreso than when someone is "pantsed" when they are playing pool.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 05:24:15 AM »
I'd never heard of it before either. Apparently (after some Googling) it's a country Queensland thing. They're all mad c***ts up there  ;)

The only real Aussie-wide music tradition is to finish The Angels song line (with lyrics that are not in the original)

"Am I ever going to see your face again........"

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 07:39:09 AM »
Did the women ask for this?  Then good move.  Did the school just assume that this song would be triggering?  Then no manufactured outrage here, just legit.
To err is human.  To syntax error is System.NullReferenceException

Offline Nosmas

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 05:11:26 PM »

I never said they had. But that's not the point in any case.

What was the point of your question then? I'm asking sincerely because my initial reaction was to reply with what D4M10N said.
Providing yesterday's solutions to today's problems, tomorrow!

Online HanEyeAm

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 12:02:12 PM »
In college we dropped trou when MarkyMark's Good Vibrations came on. Only rare incidental penis sightings. Everybody seemed to get along and afaik no one thought it was sexually aggressive or was outraged or was triggered.

Probably a completely different thing but maybe it's of interest.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 05:20:01 PM »
I'd never heard of it before either. Apparently (after some Googling) it's a country Queensland thing. They're all mad c***ts up there  ;)
I will be that when I get there, I won't be wearing any pants.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

personate-rain