Author Topic: Artificially sweetened beverages raise risk to stroke & dementia  (Read 620 times)

Offline Bytor

• Brand New
  • A boring yet skeptical computer geek
http://stroke.ahajournals.org/content/early/2017/04/20/STROKEAHA.116.016027

Has anybody seen this yet? It's the type of thing that is going to make the "aspartame causes cancer" crowd go crazy.

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
Re: Artificially sweetened beverages raise risk to stroke & dementia
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 03:51:40 AM »
It is a correlational study from the Framingham data, so while it is an interesting correlation, it doesn't really prove an direct link or causation between the two.

It does always amaze me how people just accept the headlines about health related topics, when there is this current distrust of the media in almost every other topic area.

http://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-artificially-sweetened-fizzy-drinks-stroke-and-dementia/

This site has a few commentaries on this paper, I have included one.

Dr Elizabeth Coulthard, Consultant Senior Lecturer in Dementia Neurology at the University of Bristol, said:

“Although interesting, this paper does not tell us that artificially sweetened drinks cause stroke or dementia. The statistical relationship between artificially sweetened drinks and dementia disappears when the analysis controls for diabetes. This makes it more likely that there is a group of people who both use artificially sweetened drinks and are at higher risk of dementia, presumably because they have a risk factor, such as diabetes, for which a low sugar diet has been recommended.

“While the stroke effect remains even after diabetes has been taken into account, we should bear in mind that this is just one study with relatively small subgroups of participants. There is still strong evidence that high sugar intake is bad for general health. Nevertheless, it is good to question our assumptions about replacing sugar and future research could clarify the relationship between artificially sweetened drinks and neurological disease.”

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 09:41:31 AM »
Like most such studies, this is justification for further research, but not for making lifestyle changes.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 11:12:12 AM »
I've suffered stroke, dementia and death from artificial sweeteners. You must believe me, I'm a random person on the internet.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 11:26:03 AM »
I've suffered stroke, dementia and death from artificial sweeteners. You must believe me, I'm a random person on the internet.

I have repeatedly survived fatal from strokes and demential due to the use of alternative treatment modalities.  It's a shame that some people would rather die than help themselves.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 11:40:00 AM »
For a mere $5,000 I will sell you a two-week cleansing program guaranteed to remove the toxic residue of artificial sweeteners from your body. It will also remove lead, arsenic, plutonium, flogistan, and the metabolites of GMOs, and will cure cancer, arthritis, psoriasis, and the common cold, as well as eliminate hangnails and dandruff. Act now and you'll get 99 cents off your second order for a friend or loved one.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 12:48:51 PM »
That's nothing. For a mere €2999,- I will remotely re-harmonize all the negative oscillations in your dog's chakras and realign the vibrations of all the water molecules in his body, thereby homeopathically detoxifying his aura and at the same time energetically chelating him.
Mooohn!

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 02:47:25 PM »
We really should sell some of this crap.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 03:37:12 PM »
That's nothing. For a mere €2999,- I will remotely re-harmonize all the negative oscillations in your dog's chakras and realign the vibrations of all the water molecules in his body, thereby homeopathically detoxifying his aura and at the same time energetically chelating him.

You joke, but my Mom tried to get me to pay her coworker to perform Therapeutic Touch on my dog over the phone from 300 miles away.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 04:10:50 PM »

You joke, but my Mom tried to get me to pay her coworker to perform Therapeutic Touch on my dog over the phone from 300 miles away.

Oh believe me, for €2999,- I'll do exactly what I wrote. I'll even throw in a money back guarantee if you're not satisfied with the end result!
Mooohn!

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 06:59:06 PM »

Oh believe me, for €2999,- I'll do exactly what I wrote. I'll even throw in a money back guarantee if you're not satisfied with the end result!
Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back. (I've seldom been unsatisfied with any money, however.)
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 06:59:40 PM »

I'll do better than that. I'll throw in a monkey-back guarantee. If you're not satisfied with my service, I'll send you a monkey.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 04:28:55 AM »
I am curious. . . .Is there a plausible mechanism by which artificial sweeteners might cause stroke and dementia?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 07:15:53 AM »
I am curious. . . .Is there a plausible mechanism by which artificial sweeteners might cause stroke and dementia?
Yeah, it turns them into hockey fans.

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 07:26:21 AM »

It doesn't look like it. The correlation is weak.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2017/04April/Pages/Reported-link-between-diet-drinks-and-dementia-and-stroke-is-weak.aspx

personate-rain