Author Topic: Episode #615  (Read 2266 times)

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: Episode #615
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 08:24:59 PM »
I follow Cara on twitter. She has tweeted a few times promoting her SGU segments, but the segments are on the podcast. For example, this week she said episode 615 had something on fatality disparities and mental health. Did I miss this? Maybe I spaced out part of it while listening.

Offline brilu34

• Off to a Start
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 09:49:35 PM »
Not Sure I agree with science or fiction. Since Steve didn't specify a particular species of cockroach, I assume he means all species of cockroach. The Surinam Cockroach doesn't require males to reproduce. In North America, males of this species have never been found.

https://www.terminix.com/pest-control/cockroaches/surinam-cockroach/

http://bugguide.net/node/view/16867

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 10:38:01 PM »
I don't mean to single out Cara, they probably all signed off on the script. But again they're using this sort of line; "You've heard us talk about [sponsor] before. We're talking about it again because we're such big fans". Why lie?

What makes you think it's a lie?  They choose their advertisers, they reject lots of them, and The Great Courses is one that they really believe in.  Steve's produced two courses for them.  It is possible for one's feelings and one's financial interests to align, you know.  Indeed, that's something many people strive for.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline DamoET

• Off to a Start
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2017, 11:53:27 PM »
Good episode, but the insert of sound bites are really noticeable. Early on when Steven gives Mammuts as an example of something, a couple of others examples are clearly pasted in in post. It's as if Steven only could remember one example when they recorded then went back in and inserted more after the show was done. Kinda funny ^^

I've been noticing those inserts, with a different noise level or a different tone to his voice. But I've also been wondering if it's a bit of a toupée fallacy, and maybe there are a bunch more that I don't notice.

He might not be trying to mask them, anyway, and is mainly concerned with filling in the information/making corrections where it's appropriate.

Interesting, I have noticed 'them' in the past and thought that something was added, but 'it' seemlessly seems to fade into conversation again, so I think it may be post preduction individual  mic levels being tweaked rather than info being added.  Either way, if your playback is not very clear, you probably won't notice.

Damo
Do not fear God, fear ignorance.  For ignorance will lead you to fearing 'God' (and a whole bunch of other whacky shit!)

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 12:16:01 AM »
What the hell is a hickamaroll?

Cara probably said Jicama Rolls.

Okay, what the hell is a Jicama Roll?

Jicama is a root vegetable popular in Mexico and probably elsewhere. It is white (on the inside), crunchy, and slightly sweet.

Honestly, I don't care that much. I was mainly responding to Cara's offhand and not-very-audible statement "who doesn't know what a hickamaroll is?"

I don't know what a hickamaroll is.

As far as I can tell it's a regional thing, and Cara's statement is parochial and assumes that the rest of the world is fully cognisant of all the local terms.

Offline 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 03:30:07 AM »
Interesting, I have noticed 'them' in the past and thought that something was added, but 'it' seemlessly seems to fade into conversation again, so I think it may be post preduction individual  mic levels being tweaked rather than info being added.  Either way, if your playback is not very clear, you probably won't notice.

There are some kid and dog noises that on rare occasions get into the final cut, so there could be a lot of those edited out (possibly with retakes) that affect the continuity and smoothness.

I don't mean to single out Cara, they probably all signed off on the script. But again they're using this sort of line; "You've heard us talk about [sponsor] before. We're talking about it again because we're such big fans". Why lie?

What makes you think it's a lie?  They choose their advertisers, they reject lots of them, and The Great Courses is one that they really believe in.  Steve's produced two courses for them.  It is possible for one's feelings and one's financial interests to align, you know.  Indeed, that's something many people strive for.

Well, it's either a direct lie, or it's lying by omission. They wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't an ad that they were being paid to do. Sure, they have a filter on the list of things they could advertise, but that's secondary.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 12:20:08 PM »
I was surprised no one mentioned megafauna extinctions that preceded the end of the last ice age (Australia) or well after (NZ).

And also surprised there was no mention of the upcoming, slightly leaked publication of new earlier dates for human arrival in Australia, speaking of authors of megafauna extinction.
"Our minds are not quite designed to understand how the world works, but, rather, to get out of trouble rapidly an have progeny."  Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Offline azinyk

• Well Established
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 12:28:17 PM »
I'd never heard the word "hicamaroles", but I tried it on my Android, and it came up with "I'm really craving jicama rolls", which is at least a food.

Google's speech recognition made staggering improvement in 2015-2016 because of new deep learning methods.  Pooh-poohing the technology because of your experience with Siri or Dragon Naturally Speaking is like dismissing Ex Machina because you didn't like Polar Express.

https://research.googleblog.com/2015/09/google-voice-search-faster-and-more.html

Offline Piracanto

• Brand New
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2017, 12:41:29 PM »
What the hell is a hickamaroll?

Cara probably said Jicama Rolls.

Okay, what the hell is a Jicama Roll?

Jicama is a root vegetable popular in Mexico and probably elsewhere. It is white (on the inside), crunchy, and slightly sweet.

Honestly, I don't care that much. I was mainly responding to Cara's offhand and not-very-audible statement "who doesn't know what a hickamaroll is?"

I don't know what a hickamaroll is.

As far as I can tell it's a regional thing, and Cara's statement is parochial and assumes that the rest of the world is fully cognisant of all the local terms.

And it's not fair to Siri (or any other "assistants") that she mixes other languages on English phrases.

Jícama is awesome with lime and salt, really tasty and full of water.
In the summer, is a great snack.
It has a bit of natural sugar, but it's mostly water and fiber.
I used to buy "square feet" of Jícamas on the side of the road (They would harvest whatever Jícamas your bought Sq. Ft. had)

Live Fast, Die Young, Enjoy The Ride

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2017, 06:16:27 PM »
I'm surprised to hear Bob dismiss the potential for danger from bringing alien life to earth so easily. Yeah, sure, it's incredibly unlikely to infect us like a virus, but what about the potential for bringing in an invasive species that could mess with the very bottom of the food chain here? Or maybe such an organism could release metabolic byproducts that are incredibly toxic to earth life. Without knowing anything about this hypothetical organism's exact metabolism, I don't think we should just rule that out.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2017, 07:07:59 PM »
I'm surprised to hear Bob dismiss the potential for danger from bringing alien life to earth so easily. Yeah, sure, it's incredibly unlikely to infect us like a virus, but what about the potential for bringing in an invasive species that could mess with the very bottom of the food chain here? Or maybe such an organism could release metabolic byproducts that are incredibly toxic to earth life. Without knowing anything about this hypothetical organism's exact metabolism, I don't think we should just rule that out.

I agree. We have no idea what kind of effect an alien life form might have here.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Hypersapien

• Off to a Start
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2017, 01:52:19 PM »
Regarding the "Dream reading hype" segment:

I found this to be a very fascinating segment, because for years now my absolute favorite science story that SGU has ever covered was about a similar scientific development.  I dug through the archives but failed to find the segment I remembered, but it involved a patient looking at symbols/text on a black and white card, and a computer would try to replicate the pattern based on the patients brain activity (after some calibration had been done individual to the patient).

I believe this is the same story:

I agree with SGU's criticism of the hyperbole and sensationalism of the reporting, but I was struck by the contrast of them mocking the recent story, when I recall them being much more impressed by the older story (which may have had better reporting).

Anyways, I'm not criticizing their coverage at all, I just thought it was interesting to hear about a similar technology again.  I've wanted them to do a followup on that segment for ages, its too bad there wasn't a more scientific report to cover.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2017, 02:50:31 PM »
Hah! I did a little phonetics research as a student research assistant in university and it was presented at Interspeech 2007. It's a legitimate scientific conference on linguistics (at least, I hope so }|:op). Funny to hear it mentioned on the show.
Mooohn!

Offline tgraupmann

• Brand New
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2017, 01:17:03 PM »
Speech dictation does get odd results sometimes, however, I was able to use speech commands that are accurate enough to build a snowman!

Speech detection has come a long way. If you want to try the cutting edge, if you have the Chrome browser, try the Chrome Speech Demo.
https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/demos/speech.html
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 01:46:18 PM by tgraupmann »

Offline LaPalida

• Frequent Poster
  • To thy own self be true.
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2017, 08:04:02 AM »
OCD Language Police here: The Russian word 'devotchka', from Clockwork Orange, means 'a girl' not 'an old woman', that would be 'babushka' or 'teyotushka' :P
"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure."
- Mark Twain

personate-rain