Author Topic: Pills/Supplements that are worth taking?  (Read 503 times)

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
Pills/Supplements that are worth taking?
« on: April 25, 2017, 10:49:04 PM »
So, im now taking pills that i will likely be taking daily for many years.

Since i have to take pills anyway, are there any additional supplements or pills i should be taking? Scientifically supported?

I hear that most vitamin pills make nothing but exspensive pee, but are there exceptions to that?

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Pills/Supplements that are worth taking?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 11:00:25 PM »
IF you have a reasonably good diet that balances the food groups, generally no, unless there is a specific reason to think you might not be getting vitamins for some reason.  If you need to avoid certain types of food due to allergy or diet, you live far north and don't get a lot of sunlight, have a medical condition or medication that reduces absorption of nutrients, etc..
 (not exhaustive list) taking a supplement could be a good idea.  But even in that case, it would be better to check with a doctor. 

I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 09:41:12 AM »
Supplements are not regulated. They are not tested for efficacy or safety or even to determine if the pills contain the claimed ingredients. Some have been found to contain powerful prescription drugs not listed on the label.

You should never take supplements unless prescribed by your doctor, in which case they'll be pharmaceutical grade, if your doctor is not a quack (i.e. a naturopath). Some vitamins or minerals are needed in larger amounts due to a medical condition, and in that case your doctor will prescribe them. Otherwise, the only benefit of supplements is the profit to the folks who sell them to you.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 09:47:32 AM »
Isn't small dose aspirin suppose to be a good thing?
And there's been some talk about folks being Vitamin D deficiency.

Offline Shipwreck

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 10:12:56 AM »
I don't eat fish or seafood and generally less nuts than I probably should, so I take omega-3. Twice a day when remember but usually just after evening meal time when at home.

Offline Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 11:54:03 AM »
I eat a Pez every day just to piss off estockly.   ;D
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 01:30:11 PM »
Fair points all, thanks for answering.

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 06:18:58 PM »
My doctor has me taking B12 but unless your doctor suggests it. .  . .I don't know if I would consider lose dose aspirin a supplement and again it should be doctor recommended.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 10:08:57 PM »
Mg, Se and Zn are worthwhile. 

No selenium in NZ soil (we include it in our bi annual fertiliser application on the paddocks and yearly in the gardens.

I throw zinc at my skin problems and Mg because I would think I would test low in it and the MgCl in the outside bath affords such a luxurious sleep, yum.

Some people think I is a good general supplement, but one generally would get enough in iodised table salt, but if one is on a low salt diet, it might be helpful; Lugols solution is cheap and easy to whip up.

I eat enough vegetables, dairy and offal that I am sure my vitamins and micronutrients are covered. There seems to be a range of fermented vegetables and raw dairy in my diet to feed my gut biome.
"Our minds are not quite designed to understand how the world works, but, rather, to get out of trouble rapidly an have progeny."  Nassim Nicholas Taleb