Author Topic: Fresh Vegetable Prices?  (Read 576 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Fresh Vegetable Prices?
« on: April 26, 2017, 01:02:56 PM »
I went to the local grocery store and heads of lettuce had doubled in price from ~$1 to ~$2.
I also noted that broccoli went from $1.50 a pound to $2.50 a pound.
Anybody else notice anything like that?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Fresh Vegetable Prices?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 01:10:46 PM »
Just found out why too
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/04/24/high-lettuce-prices/
Flooding in California
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 03:00:55 PM »
I don't even look at the prices. I just look at how fresh the veggies are. Fresh veggies are a necessity, so why fret about how much I'm paying?
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 07:13:04 PM »
I've also notice, and suffered, the higher prices.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 07:18:08 PM »
We had a wave of utter shit quality. I had to get 3 onions to put together enough to use instead of 1. Weather issues?
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
  • Occasional Forum Necromancer
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 10:45:01 AM »
When I get a chance, I'll give you guys some insight into this issue from an ag scientist

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 11:11:44 AM »
Thanks Obama.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 01:05:23 PM »
When I get a chance, I'll give you guys some insight into this issue from an ag scientist

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Cool
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 02:40:33 PM »
Obviously, it's a conspiracy by Big Veg.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 09:16:46 PM »
One item weird though. . . While the grocery store went way up, I went to a Walmart a few days later and prices were unchanged.
Basically $1 for a head of lettuce and $1.50 per pound for broccoli.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 10:55:55 PM »
A huge company like Wal-Mart probably has longer-term contracts to hedge against just this sort of thing.  Their prices will undoubtedly rise, too, of higher prices persist, but perhaps more slowly.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 12:18:12 PM »
A huge company like Wal-Mart probably has longer-term contracts to hedge against just this sort of thing.  Their prices will undoubtedly rise, too, of higher prices persist, but perhaps more slowly.

Food Lion is not that small though with over 1000 stores
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 05:10:06 PM »

Food Lion is not that small though with over 1000 stores

You're talking more than an order of magnitude of difference, though.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
  • Occasional Forum Necromancer
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 09:36:19 AM »
So we have some pretty good economists at the USDA:

https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/food-price-outlook/summary-findings.aspx

Several I've talked to about this issue say the short term increase in price of fresh vegetables might be extinction behavior before the inevitable drop in prices due to decrease exports.
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 02:30:23 PM »
I don't even look at the prices. I just look at how fresh the veggies are. Fresh veggies are a necessity, so why fret about how much I'm paying?

Whenever I visit the US, I always look at food prices (I guess because I am a provider).  It was easy this year, only to multiply the price per pound b 3 for a good $NZ/kg estimate. 

I noted that vegetables, meat and dairy was incredibly expensive compared to home.  I really would ave thought the huge supermarkets could provide produce more cheaply.  Apples really struck me as expensive.  The range was impressive, though, at the City Market where I shopped at.

I didn't look too deeply at the centre of the grocery aisles, except that Lara bars are about half the price as in NZ. 
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon