Author Topic: Fresh Vegetable Prices?  (Read 577 times)

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
  • Occasional Forum Necromancer
Re: Fresh Vegetable Prices?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 08:40:18 AM »
I don't even look at the prices. I just look at how fresh the veggies are. Fresh veggies are a necessity, so why fret about how much I'm paying?

Whenever I visit the US, I always look at food prices (I guess because I am a provider).  It was easy this year, only to multiply the price per pound b 3 for a good $NZ/kg estimate. 

I noted that vegetables, meat and dairy was incredibly expensive compared to home.  I really would ave thought the huge supermarkets could provide produce more cheaply.  Apples really struck me as expensive.  The range was impressive, though, at the City Market where I shopped at.

I didn't look too deeply at the centre of the grocery aisles, except that Lara bars are about half the price as in NZ.

Some of those prices fluctuate with season, keep that in mind. 
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 04:47:33 AM »
I don't even look at the prices. I just look at how fresh the veggies are. Fresh veggies are a necessity, so why fret about how much I'm paying?

Whenever I visit the US, I always look at food prices (I guess because I am a provider).  It was easy this year, only to multiply the price per pound b 3 for a good $NZ/kg estimate. 

I noted that vegetables, meat and dairy was incredibly expensive compared to home.  I really would ave thought the huge supermarkets could provide produce more cheaply.  Apples really struck me as expensive.  The range was impressive, though, at the City Market where I shopped at.

I didn't look too deeply at the centre of the grocery aisles, except that Lara bars are about half the price as in NZ.

Some of those prices fluctuate with season, keep that in mind.

I'm old enough to know that some prices fluctuate seasonally and I asked where the produce was coming from.  The apples, say, were all from the USA and were 3 to 6 times more expensive in adjusted dollars.  And are the sort of fruit that doesn't change much seasonally in price as proper storage and transport is relatively cheap. Meat, cheese and butter are not seasonally affected.   A niggling thing, too, is that the price on the shelf doesn't include tax... a never ending surprise.
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 01:03:52 PM »
I believe that government policies strongly influence food prices. It's more than just the actual cost of production and distribution. There are both open and hidden subsidies and costs that vary from place to place. That's in addition to soil and climate conditions which allow larger yields in some places than others.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain