Author Topic: Bill Nye Saves the World or Does He?  (Read 1165 times)

Offline noahboa

• Brand New
Bill Nye Saves the World or Does He?
« on: April 26, 2017, 04:24:55 PM »
Has anyone else seen Bill Nye Saves the World? I have recently been watching it on NetFlix and was delighted to see Cara on one of the episodes. I was most excited for this show as I am a huge Bill Nye fan and the world needs more science oriented shows. However, I must say I have been rather disappointed. Ignoring the format which includes a live audience who must have been paid to laugh at everything Bill says, it feels like Bill is pushing his own agenda on certain issues instead of sticking to the evidence. That is most apparent in the round table discussions in which Bill includes a token opposing viewpoint and then proceeds to ram his own beliefs through. For example, in the episode with Cara on alternative medicine, one panelist points out that we use ultrasound in modern medicine as justification that sound (specifically using the human voice through screaming) can cure a patient. Instead of pointing out that there is no evidence for using the human voice to cure, the panel makes the point that ultrasound is different than sound produced by the human voice. That is not how we know that the human voice cannot be used to cure medical ailments. Although it may be implausible, we still need to look at the evidence to determine if sound produced by the human voice can cure. In another episode on climate change, Bill makes it clear that he is opposed to nuclear power and barley lets the other panelist in favor of nuclear power get a word in. I appreciate that Bill does not pull any punches and takes a skeptical approach but I disagree with some of his methodologies. I would be curious to get other skeptically minded individuals opinions.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
Re: Bill Nye Saves the World or Does He?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 04:40:24 PM »
I'll just bide my time here, since I've already made it clear (even before this show came out) that I think Bill Nye is
(click to show/hide)
To err is human.  To syntax error is System.NullReferenceException

Offline jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 09:07:31 PM »
Instead of pointing out that there is no evidence for using the human voice to cure, the panel makes the point that ultrasound is different than sound produced by the human voice. That is not how we know that the human voice cannot be used to cure medical ailments. Although it may be implausible, we still need to look at the evidence to determine if sound produced by the human voice can cure.

No we don't.  Science does not progress by testing every ridiculous hypothesis dreamed up by every crackpot.
I'm not going to use your pronouns.

Offline NEKSkeptic

• Banned
  • Well Established
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 06:47:59 AM »
The right is bashing him right now.  Nye is making it easy for them to do so. 

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 01:25:16 AM »
I've yet to hear of anyone pleased with this show
Quote from: George William Foote
Priestcraft nourishes hope in the scientific laboratory, and feels only faint misgivings in academic halls; but it pales and withers at the smile of scepticism, and hears in a low laugh the note of the trump of doom."

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 10:06:17 AM »
I am relatively please with the show. My children love it, even though it isn't targeting their age group.
I think it is a bit stilted by it's trying to make each show fit the same format, but otherwise it is perfectly fine.

Offline Unlimited

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 11:43:31 AM »

Lets look at some of the implications packed into one bullshit clip designed exclusively to shame the majority of society.

1. Cis people can only be vanilla and boring.
2. Cis people are "missing out" on other flavors
   a) Everyone likes all the flavors
   b) If you don't your fooling yourself
3. Cis people think everyone should be cis.
4. Cis people think it is immoral and wrong to be anything but Cis
5. Cis people are simply AFRAID to be anything but cis
6. Cis people are secretly not cis.

A video that claims cis people are trying to make other people cis - that ends with the accusers doing exactly the same thing. Turning a cis person into a non-cis. Pot kettle?

I should remind everyone that 97% of the USA (first world country) identifies as vanilla.
"As a rule, men worry more about what they can't see than about what they can." -Julius Caesar

Offline ReductionistNurse

• Brand New
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 01:11:01 PM »
The best summary I've seen was from a reddit comment: "The show is bad at best, and damaging to the conversation at worst."

I'm so frustrated, I cannot believe this stuff made it through to be released. I wish there was some kind of behind the scenes look that shows Bill shaking his head and arguing with the producers after every other bit saying "this is not good education, it's not going to work, we should scrape this segment."

This is just so frustrating to me.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 03:47:20 PM »
I wasn't interested in the show but the conservative podcasts I listen to it are all of the same opinion so it makes me curious.  They agree its lefty propaganda thinly veiled as science. 

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 04:12:53 PM »
Man, all the conservative salt about the gender stuff just makes me want to watch this show *more*. Thanks for the recommendation, guys!
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 04:33:57 PM »
Watching the first episode of the show, I get the sense that I'm not in the target audience. I might've enjoyed it more if it didn't have a studio audience. But it also feels like a kids' show, despite him saying that it isn't really that.

In another episode on climate change, Bill makes it clear that he is opposed to nuclear power and barley lets the other panelist in favor of nuclear power get a word in.

Yeah, this was the first episode.

I'm not sure if he was playing devil's advocate, or if he meant to use an appeal to popularity to argue against investing in nuclear power. "nobody wants them". He didn't give the nuclear power proponent an opportunity to respond after it was argued against.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 04:39:00 PM by 2397 »

Offline NEKSkeptic

• Banned
  • Well Established
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 04:47:53 PM »
Man, all the conservative salt about the gender stuff just makes me want to watch this show *more*. Thanks for the recommendation, guys!

The joke will be on you.  Everyone I know, no matter their political affiliation, cannot stand the show.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 04:50:28 PM by NEKSkeptic »

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 05:42:29 PM »

The joke will be on you.  Everyone I know, no matter their political affiliation, cannot stand the show.

I know one die hard Bernie Sanders supporter who loves the show just out of spite now.  There's a point where you're so deep in, you can't see out.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2017, 07:23:12 AM »

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2017, 09:32:04 AM »
is there a eugenics episode?
Quote from: George William Foote
Priestcraft nourishes hope in the scientific laboratory, and feels only faint misgivings in academic halls; but it pales and withers at the smile of scepticism, and hears in a low laugh the note of the trump of doom."

personate-rain